Posted Jan 2, 2013
6:55:47 PM
View profile
Al Jazeera Acquires Current TV

Very interesting:

Al Jazeera has struck a deal to purchase Current TV and launch a new U.S.-based news channel.

"For many years, we understood that we could make a positive contribution to the news and information available in and about the United States and what we are announcing today will help us achieve that goal," said Al Jazeera director general Ahmed bin Jassim Al Thani. "By acquiring Current TV, Al Jazeera will significantly expand our existing distribution footprint in the U.S., as well as increase our newsgathering and reporting efforts in America."

"We are proud and pleased that Al Jazeera, the award-winning international news organization, has bought Current TV," said Al Gore, co-founder and chairman, and Joel Hyatt, co-founder and CEO.

Current TV had a distribution footprint of 58 million households, but following news of the acquisition, Time Warner Cable said it would drop the network. TWC has positioned Current on digital basic, making it available to some 9 million homes. 

"Our agreement with Current has been terminated and we will no longer be carrying the service," a TWC spokeswoman said. "We are removing the service as quickly as possible."

When a cable network is sold or changes its programming direction, distributors can revisit their deals. Other providers that carry the low-rated Current could follow suit. SNL Kagan estimates Current TV’s monthly subscriber fee at 12 cents.

The sale, which was first reported Wednesday in the New York Times, will see Al Jazeera rebrand the network as a domestic and international news channel for American audiences in 2013, replacing Current's schedule of political shows after a transition period. The new network will be based in New York, with Al Jazeera looking to open new bureaus to supplement its existing news bureaus in New York, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Miami and Chicago. The company expects to its current U.S. based staff to 300 employees.

An acquisition of the low-rated Current TV was expected, with the network acknowledging it was considering a sale in October, saying then, "Current has been approached many times by media companies interested in acquiring our company. This year alone, we have had three inquiries. As a consequence, we thought it might be useful to engage expertise to help us evaluate our strategic options."

Given TWC's quick decision ,the sale could make Al Jazeera's new network available to around 50 million U.S. subscribers. Its Al Jazeera English channel is currently only available on cable and satellite in select cities, including New York and Washington, D.C., despite Al Jazeera lobbying for greater carriage after the Arab Spring in 2011.

Founded in 2005, Current TV was rebranded as a political news channel in 2011 with the hire of Keith Olbermann, but his show failed to generate big ratings and he was fired from the network last spring. Subsequent shows hosted by Jennifer Granholm, Cenk Uygur and others have also failed to break out, with Current drawing about 42,000 viewers on an average night in 2012, according to Nielsen.

http://multichannel.com/distribution/al-jazeera-acquires-current-tv/140981

Very interesting:

Al Jazeera has struck a deal to purchase Current TV and launch a new U.S.-based news channel.

"For many years, we understood that we could make a positive contribution to the news and information available in and about the United States and what we are announcing today will help us achieve that goal," said Al Jazeera director general Ahmed bin Jassim Al Thani. "By acquiring Current TV, Al Jazeera will significantly expand our existing distribution footprint in the U.S., as well as increase our newsgathering and reporting efforts in America."

"We are proud and pleased that Al Jazeera, the award-winning international news organization, has bought Current TV," said Al Gore, co-founder and chairman, and Joel Hyatt, co-founder and CEO.

Current TV had a distribution footprint of 58 million households, but following news of the acquisition, Time Warner Cable said it would drop the network. TWC has positioned Current on digital basic, making it available to some 9 million homes. 

"Our agreement with Current has been terminated and we will no longer be carrying the service," a TWC spokeswoman said. "We are removing the service as quickly as possible."

When a cable network is sold or changes its programming direction, distributors can revisit their deals. Other providers that carry the low-rated Current could follow suit. SNL Kagan estimates Current TV’s monthly subscriber fee at 12 cents.

The sale, which was first reported Wednesday in the New York Times, will see Al Jazeera rebrand the network as a domestic and international news channel for American audiences in 2013, replacing Current's schedule of political shows after a transition period. The new network will be based in New York, with Al Jazeera looking to open new bureaus to supplement its existing news bureaus in New York, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Miami and Chicago. The company expects to its current U.S. based staff to 300 employees.

An acquisition of the low-rated Current TV was expected, with the network acknowledging it was considering a sale in October, saying then, "Current has been approached many times by media companies interested in acquiring our company. This year alone, we have had three inquiries. As a consequence, we thought it might be useful to engage expertise to help us evaluate our strategic options."

Given TWC's quick decision ,the sale could make Al Jazeera's new network available to around 50 million U.S. subscribers. Its Al Jazeera English channel is currently only available on cable and satellite in select cities, including New York and Washington, D.C., despite Al Jazeera lobbying for greater carriage after the Arab Spring in 2011.

Founded in 2005, Current TV was rebranded as a political news channel in 2011 with the hire of Keith Olbermann, but his show failed to generate big ratings and he was fired from the network last spring. Subsequent shows hosted by Jennifer Granholm, Cenk Uygur and others have also failed to break out, with Current drawing about 42,000 viewers on an average night in 2012, according to Nielsen.

http://multichannel.com/distribution/al-jazeera-acquires-current-tv/140981

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Al Jazeera Acquires Current TV

61 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(61)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 7:02:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
  • Is ATT U-verse going to drop Current TV, since Al-Jazeera a terrorist support group has bought Current TV from Al Gore. Time Warner has already announce it would be dropping Current TV.  I hope ATT  follows Time Warner example and drop this terrorist supported channel and it terrorist propaganda.
  • Is ATT U-verse going to drop Current TV, since Al-Jazeera a terrorist support group has bought Current TV from Al Gore. Time Warner has already announce it would be dropping Current TV.  I hope ATT  follows Time Warner example and drop this terrorist supported channel and it terrorist propaganda.

Current Tv

2 of 62 (7,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 11:38:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

I hope they don't drop it. I would like peek inside a different view of the world.  I want more news options and view points not less.

Fox in my opinion is mostly opinion and entertainment and rarely issues a retraction of mis-information. If there was any disinformation channel it that should be dumped its fox. However, I do not wish that. For even fox provides a way to see into the minds others and see another point of view, even if that view is flawed.

Al Jazerra is another source of view and information. I would hope AT&T would not be dumb as rocks to do the same thing as Time Warner. I would like to see BBC and german channel DW. For what we pay for cable. I would hope we have more options not less.

I hope they don't drop it. I would like peek inside a different view of the world.  I want more news options and view points not less.

Fox in my opinion is mostly opinion and entertainment and rarely issues a retraction of mis-information. If there was any disinformation channel it that should be dumped its fox. However, I do not wish that. For even fox provides a way to see into the minds others and see another point of view, even if that view is flawed.

Al Jazerra is another source of view and information. I would hope AT&T would not be dumb as rocks to do the same thing as Time Warner. I would like to see BBC and german channel DW. For what we pay for cable. I would hope we have more options not less.

Re: Current Tv

3 of 62 (7,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 6:35:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't think AT&T should carry Current. But if they do then it should be moved off of the 350/450 line up and made optional. I don't want that channel as part of what I pay for as I don't feel my money should support terrorism against my country and it could have a bearing on whether or not I stay with AT&T or go to TWC.

I don't think AT&T should carry Current. But if they do then it should be moved off of the 350/450 line up and made optional. I don't want that channel as part of what I pay for as I don't feel my money should support terrorism against my country and it could have a bearing on whether or not I stay with AT&T or go to TWC.

4 of 62 (6,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 7:00:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

Are you planning on carrying Al Jazeera TV?  Journalistic integrity of this organization is spotty at best.  Will you follow Time Warner's lead in dropping it?

Are you planning on carrying Al Jazeera TV?  Journalistic integrity of this organization is spotty at best.  Will you follow Time Warner's lead in dropping it?

How will you handle Current TV / Al Jazeera change?

5 of 62 (6,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 7:37:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I appreciate a wide variety of news options.  Al Jazeera is an award winning organization that, up until now, I have only been able to access via itunes.  Upon hearing that they acquired Current, I just upgraded my tier to include that station.  I was surprised to hear that Comcast is dropping the channel.  Al Jazeera is an internationally highly regarded news source.  It is surprising that they are not yet available in a nation that prides itself on free speech.  I hope U-Verse continues to provide more programming options to its customers than its competitors.

I appreciate a wide variety of news options.  Al Jazeera is an award winning organization that, up until now, I have only been able to access via itunes.  Upon hearing that they acquired Current, I just upgraded my tier to include that station.  I was surprised to hear that Comcast is dropping the channel.  Al Jazeera is an internationally highly regarded news source.  It is surprising that they are not yet available in a nation that prides itself on free speech.  I hope U-Verse continues to provide more programming options to its customers than its competitors.

Re: Al Jazeera Acquires Current TV

6 of 62 (6,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 7:46:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gajaw999 wrote:

Al Jazeera TV is not replacling Current TV.  A new channel is being created called Al Jazeera America. Please re-read the article.

gajaw999 wrote:

Al Jazeera TV is not replacling Current TV.  A new channel is being created called Al Jazeera America. Please re-read the article.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How will you handle Current TV / Al Jazeera change?

7 of 62 (6,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 7:47:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

alida wrote:

Time Warner, not Comcast, dropped Current TV.

alida wrote:

Time Warner, not Comcast, dropped Current TV.

8 of 62 (6,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 7:55:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does U-Verse carry the Current TV channel?

Programming

9 of 62 (6,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 7:58:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jan 3, 2013 at 8:30:49 AM

Jimmy-C wrote:

Yes, channel 189.

Jimmy-C wrote:

Yes, channel 189.

[ Edited ]
10 of 62 (6,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 10:31:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
It isn't a terrorist support group, just like Fox is NOT a terrorist support group.
It isn't a terrorist support group, just like Fox is NOT a terrorist support group.

11 of 62 (6,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 10:38:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

It is not a terrorist support group, it is an award winning news organization, decidedly not Fox news, which does support a terrorist organization, the Republican Party. What TWC did was totally without merit and I am hoping ATT would not go down the same path.

Hopefully we Americans can get other views of our politics and news stories from a perspective outside of the US, not like MSNBC and FOX which are right and left biased.

Too bad they did not buy CNN and bring back an unbiased view of news and not the sound bites and  sensationalism of all US news stations.

It is not a terrorist support group, it is an award winning news organization, decidedly not Fox news, which does support a terrorist organization, the Republican Party. What TWC did was totally without merit and I am hoping ATT would not go down the same path.

Hopefully we Americans can get other views of our politics and news stories from a perspective outside of the US, not like MSNBC and FOX which are right and left biased.

Too bad they did not buy CNN and bring back an unbiased view of news and not the sound bites and  sensationalism of all US news stations.

12 of 62 (6,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 1:03:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
I agree 100%. If AT&T keeps Al-Jazeera I will cancel my Uverse. They have already proven they hate America and they lie on a regular basis. Shame on Al Gore. He is no longer a patriot.
I agree 100%. If AT&T keeps Al-Jazeera I will cancel my Uverse. They have already proven they hate America and they lie on a regular basis. Shame on Al Gore. He is no longer a patriot.

13 of 62 (6,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 5:56:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Couldn't put it better myself. I wish someday uverse could get some more bbc content too. Like BBC worldnews. It is the 21st century and i find the selection amazingly dull sometimes. I think for decent price we should be able to watch bbc and canada. but no its all rights encumbered. I hope bbc launches an international iplayer sometime soon too. oh boy
Couldn't put it better myself. I wish someday uverse could get some more bbc content too. Like BBC worldnews. It is the 21st century and i find the selection amazingly dull sometimes. I think for decent price we should be able to watch bbc and canada. but no its all rights encumbered. I hope bbc launches an international iplayer sometime soon too. oh boy

14 of 62 (6,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 6:22:14 PM
(0)
Expert
It's not the job of the TV distributor to judge or otherwise censor the channels it carries. AT&T should carry everything they can, and then the viewership will decide what survives in the marketplace.

If you want to make the biggest point you can against terrorism, hate, and fascism, then there is no better way to do it than to defeat it with capitalism in the marketplace.
It's not the job of the TV distributor to judge or otherwise censor the channels it carries. AT&T should carry everything they can, and then the viewership will decide what survives in the marketplace.

If you want to make the biggest point you can against terrorism, hate, and fascism, then there is no better way to do it than to defeat it with capitalism in the marketplace.

15 of 62 (6,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 6:30:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
Now would be a great time to add "THE BLAZE" A real contrast.
Now would be a great time to add "THE BLAZE" A real contrast.

16 of 62 (6,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 4:31:37 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LoveHD on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:39:01 PM

I hope every cable television provider who carries Current TV will continue with Al Jazeera America. No disrespect intended here, but I am one who will not accept anyone else making some attempt to tell me what I can or cannot watch on television through their demands (and whatever motivates such demands). So, for anyone who doesn't want other people to be able to see Al Jazeera America: I suggest you find yourself a personally satisfying solution which doesn't disrupt other paying subscribers who do want the access to view Al Jazeera America. 

I hope every cable television provider who carries Current TV will continue with Al Jazeera America. No disrespect intended here, but I am one who will not accept anyone else making some attempt to tell me what I can or cannot watch on television through their demands (and whatever motivates such demands). So, for anyone who doesn't want other people to be able to see Al Jazeera America: I suggest you find yourself a personally satisfying solution which doesn't disrupt other paying subscribers who do want the access to view Al Jazeera America. 

[ Edited ]
17 of 62 (6,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 7:00:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

dopamine5ht wrote:

Time-Warner Cable just picked up BBC World News last week.  I'm considering dropping U-verse for that.

dopamine5ht wrote:

Time-Warner Cable just picked up BBC World News last week.  I'm considering dropping U-verse for that.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

18 of 62 (6,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 8:41:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

LoveHD wrote:

Go ahead and watch that terrorist supported network. I hope more provider dump it like a hot potatoe.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

LoveHD wrote:

Go ahead and watch that terrorist supported network. I hope more provider dump it like a hot potatoe.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

19 of 62 (6,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 1:54:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sorry Al-Jazeera a terrorist support group that supports the destruction of Isreal.. Now I will agree thar socialist and leftist do not like Fox.

Sorry Al-Jazeera a terrorist support group that supports the destruction of Isreal.. Now I will agree thar socialist and leftist do not like Fox.

20 of 62 (6,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 2:27:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

hex731 wrote:

WOW!   Now there's a blanket statement! 

hex731 wrote:

WOW!   Now there's a blanket statement! 

21 of 62 (6,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 4:37:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by americangame on Jan 5, 2013 at 4:41:55 PM

Does anyone have proof that Al Jazzera supports terrorism or is everyone who says that just blowing smoke out thier backside because a friend fo a friend said they support terrorism?

I'm all for the hate of a person or company that supports that if true. But if this is justa  weak excuse by people to hate on a Muslim owned company then they really need to take a good look at themselves.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Does anyone have proof that Al Jazzera supports terrorism or is everyone who says that just blowing smoke out thier backside because a friend fo a friend said they support terrorism?

I'm all for the hate of a person or company that supports that if true. But if this is justa  weak excuse by people to hate on a Muslim owned company then they really need to take a good look at themselves.

-------

[ Edited ]
22 of 62 (6,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 5:04:34 PM
(0)
Expert
I don't think they support terrorism. They're not Hamas or the Taliban.

However, like any news organization, are not immune to bias and slant in their reporting. I highly doubt that their brand of news would survive in the US because only a very few people would watch them.

However, like any news organization, are not immune to bias and slant in their reporting. I highly doubt that their brand of news would survive in the US because only a very few people would watch them.

23 of 62 (6,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 5:20:36 PM
(0)
Guru

Not that I watched current t.v. but how the heck can the f.c.c. allow foreign ownership of a network? Especiallly al jazeera!!!!

Not that I watched current t.v. but how the heck can the f.c.c. allow foreign ownership of a network? Especiallly al jazeera!!!!

Al jazeera? Really?

24 of 62 (6,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 5:34:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

antman_2 wrote:

Foreign-owned networks are nothing new. Various BBC channels have been available for years. In addition, many of the foreign-language offerings are owned by the native country. I think the better question is why would the FCC stop a foreign-owned network?

antman_2 wrote:

Foreign-owned networks are nothing new. Various BBC channels have been available for years. In addition, many of the foreign-language offerings are owned by the native country. I think the better question is why would the FCC stop a foreign-owned network?

Re: Al jazeera? Really?

25 of 62 (6,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 6:10:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

MicCheck wrote:

antman_2 wrote:

Isn't Fox News owned by Australian born Rupert Murdoch?

MicCheck wrote:

antman_2 wrote:

26 of 62 (5,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 6:17:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

skeeterintexas wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

antman_2 wrote:

According to Wikipedia, Murdoch became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1985.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

skeeterintexas wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

antman_2 wrote:

According to Wikipedia, Murdoch became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1985.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

27 of 62 (5,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 6:40:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Al Jazeera owns beIN Sport which many soccer fans have been begging U-verse to include in it's lineup.

Al Jazeera owns beIN Sport which many soccer fans have been begging U-verse to include in it's lineup.

28 of 62 (5,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 7:02:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

texasguy37 wrote:

Let me get this straight. Al Jazeera is a terrorist news organization which wants to destroy the United States. beIN Sport channel is owned by Al Jazeera. beIIN Sport channel, which many soccer fans on U-Verse have been begging for, is dedicated to soccer.

Therefore, soccer is a sport that is dedicated to destroying the United States. Those U-Verse subscribers who are begging for beIN Sport channel support terrorism.

To sum it all up, anyone on this forum who asks for beIN Sport channel needs to be transported to Guantanamo Bay so that they can be with their fellow soccer fans.

texasguy37 wrote:

Let me get this straight. Al Jazeera is a terrorist news organization which wants to destroy the United States. beIN Sport channel is owned by Al Jazeera. beIIN Sport channel, which many soccer fans on U-Verse have been begging for, is dedicated to soccer.

Therefore, soccer is a sport that is dedicated to destroying the United States. Those U-Verse subscribers who are begging for beIN Sport channel support terrorism.

To sum it all up, anyone on this forum who asks for beIN Sport channel needs to be transported to Guantanamo Bay so that they can be with their fellow soccer fans.

29 of 62 (5,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 7:21:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

So it will be as successful as Current is now...

-------

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

So it will be as successful as Current is now...

-------

30 of 62 (5,968 Views)