Airplane Interference with Uverse Service?

Teacher

Airplane Interference with Uverse Service?

I live about 10 miles south of DFW airport.  My residential gateway goes down several times a day for 1-2 minutes, which usually seems to coincide with a plane flying relatively close.  It has happened too many times for me to think it is a coincidence.  How is it possible that a plane flying overhead could cause the gateway to lose service?

Message 1 of 12 (979 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Airplane Interference with Uverse Service?

[ Edited ]

You might call AT&T and request a tech to put something on your line to help with the interference which is probably coming from the airplane radio.  They do make ferrite core or a choke you can put on the cable to reduce the noise.  Here is what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (975 Views)
Teacher

I figured that it must be related to radio usage, as not all planes cause problems.  Thanks for your suggestion (and link) BeeBee, I will call AT&T on Monday to schedule a tech visit.  I'm sure that their records show all of the intermittent outages.

Message 3 of 12 (967 Views)
ACE - Expert

bizbuyer wrote:

I live about 10 miles south of DFW airport.  My residential gateway goes down several times a day for 1-2 minutes, which usually seems to coincide with a plane flying relatively close.  It has happened too many times for me to think it is a coincidence.  How is it possible that a plane flying overhead could cause the gateway to lose service?

If you can, download SomeJoe's Uverse Realtime: http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Then post (using the little tree on the reply page) these screenshots:
IP Profile
Bitloading
Error Table
Coax/HPNA (if there is anything showing up)

Works on Windows, not Mac unluckily. These will show us info to diagnose. Hide your personal info on the Config page of Realtime. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12 (906 Views)
Teacher

My "reply" screen isn't showing the little tree, and when I try to post copied screenshots directly I get an error message that the message cannot exceed 20,000 characters.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Message 5 of 12 (815 Views)

Here is a screenshot of the Insert Image feature.

Hope that helps!

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

Message 6 of 12 (803 Views)
Teacher

I don't have that button.  Maybe I don't have enough posts to qualify?

Message 7 of 12 (795 Views)
Teacher

I give up.  I've tried using different computers, different operating systems (Vista & Win7), and different browsers (Explorer 9, 10, and Firefox 22.0).  I've set up another userid on this website. I still can't get the tree button to show up.

Message 8 of 12 (717 Views)

There is no minimum set on posting pictures.   I have found that it can't be done on mobile view. Click on full site view and see if that works for you. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 9 of 12 (700 Views)
Teacher

Message 10 of 12 (665 Views)

Hi bizbuyer,

Thanks for the editing window screenshot.  To avoid any confusion with your technical issue, I would like to split off this topic regarding the forum editing window to a new thread located here.

I am able to reproduce the missing Insert Image Button when using Firefox 22. 

Would you be kind enough to open an editing window in Internet Explorer or Chrome and advise if you can see the Image Insert Button?

Also, can you please confirm that you are using Firefox 22?

Please provide those answers in a reply to the new topic created for this issue.

Thanks!

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

Message 11 of 12 (629 Views)
Employee

Call 1-800-288-2020, have tier support look at line, need tech dispatched

Bit loading has sine wave pattern, issue is bridge tap,.
Others items suggesting bridge tap is distance of 1100 ft, with Max rate 46 (should be about 52-56 at that distance)
Noise margin around 12 using the 3801 RG I would expect 14-18 or better at 1100 feet with clean lines

Note if issue is inside tap billable ($99), if issue is outside not.

Basically your line sync is marginal with environmental interference causing RG to reboot.
Clean lines should be able to resolve or minimalize airplane interference.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 12 (599 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.