Adding linksys wireless router to RG

Adding linksys wireless router to RG

Id like to use the Linksys wireless router I have for the wireless internet in our home, cause the new 3801 wirless just doesnt seem to be powerful enough, Im only getting under 1meg download with wireless the older model 3800 I was getting 12meg downloads with wireless. So anything special I need to do to hook up the linksys and use that as wireless?

thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (893 Views)

Re: Adding linksys wireless router to RG

Set it up as a access point.  Plug your router into the RG lan port to lan port, don't use wan port.  Disable your routers DHCP.  Disable the RG's wireless signal.  Change your router's static IP address to 192.168.1.10.  Log your wireless devices onto your router using it's SSID and password.  Plug your wired devices into your RG.

Message 2 of 6 (885 Views)
Contributor

Will this setting support all TV boxes in the network?

Message 3 of 6 (668 Views)

It has nothing to do with the tv boxes (DVR/STB's).  They are still feeding from the RG.

Message 4 of 6 (654 Views)
Contributor

Why do I need to disable the RG's wireless signal if adding another wirelss router?  Can't I have both set up to cover different area of the house as separate log ons?

Message 5 of 6 (226 Views)
ACE - Expert

mrharris wrote:

Why do I need to disable the RG's wireless signal if adding another wirelss router?  Can't I have both set up to cover different area of the house as separate log ons?

Yes, you can do that.  If you do, then (1) I'd manually set both channels such that they don't overlap, and (2) given them both the same SSID, security protocol settings and security key.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (224 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.