Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 23, 2013
9:46:40 AM
View profile
Adding a Linksys wireless router to an AT&T Gateway

I just moved from Comcast to AT&T.  My Linksys wireless router was connected via Powerline to my Comcast Gateway and was running perfectly.  The tech who installed the ATT wireless gateway told my wife that powerline didn't work very well with the wireless AT&T gateway and that I didn't need it so didn't reconnect it.  I need it to expand my coverage around my house. 

I am have reconnected the powerlined via ethernet to the at&t gateway but am getting no internet to the linksys wireless router.  What do I need to do, I am guessing this is is an IP address set up issue that I need to log in and resolve.

If the powerline really doens't work then I will have to cancel the service but I can't believe this is the case and stay with Comcast.

I just moved from Comcast to AT&T.  My Linksys wireless router was connected via Powerline to my Comcast Gateway and was running perfectly.  The tech who installed the ATT wireless gateway told my wife that powerline didn't work very well with the wireless AT&T gateway and that I didn't need it so didn't reconnect it.  I need it to expand my coverage around my house. 

I am have reconnected the powerlined via ethernet to the at&t gateway but am getting no internet to the linksys wireless router.  What do I need to do, I am guessing this is is an IP address set up issue that I need to log in and resolve.

If the powerline really doens't work then I will have to cancel the service but I can't believe this is the case and stay with Comcast.

Adding a Linksys wireless router to an AT&T Gateway

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 10:36:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can look here at post 2 in this thread on how to configure it as a router, but I'd recommend you look here instead:  post 13 in this thread

This discusses how to set it up as an access point; the RG still peforms all the router functions and your Linksys just provides wireless access.  Just be sure to not connect any DVR or Set Tops to this same connection back to the RG.

Powerline networking works fine in some environments and poorly in others.  The speed is about the same as wireless networks.  If you've had good experience with it, you should be fine.

You can look here at post 2 in this thread on how to configure it as a router, but I'd recommend you look here instead:  post 13 in this thread

This discusses how to set it up as an access point; the RG still peforms all the router functions and your Linksys just provides wireless access.  Just be sure to not connect any DVR or Set Tops to this same connection back to the RG.

Powerline networking works fine in some environments and poorly in others.  The speed is about the same as wireless networks.  If you've had good experience with it, you should be fine.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Adding a Linksys wireless router to an AT&T Gateway

2 of 4 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 11:52:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by blujacket on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:53:45 AM

Powerline works fine with our gateway.

Powerline works fine with our gateway.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 4:07:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

He NEEDS to read post 7 in the 1st link.

Or post 11 from here

He NEEDS to read post 7 in the 1st link.

Or post 11 from here

4 of 4 (319 Views)