Adding U-verse TV to existing U-verse internet

Tutor

Adding U-verse TV to existing U-verse internet

I expect this is a very simple question, but I simply can't seem to find the necessary information online.

I have U-verse internet and phone service in the house, installed a few years ago.  Our i38HG residential gateway is connected to different parts of the house through wired ethernet connections.  One such connection goes to the TV room where it connects to an HDTV via a samsung BD player.   This connection provides access to netflix, etc.  The TV is also connected to a cable box.

AT&T is offering promotions to add TV service, and I would like to try that out.  Am I correct in thinking that all that is needed is a TV receiver box between the wired ethernet and the TV?  Or will I need to change the gateway as well (we have 24Mb/s Max Turbo service)?   Does the U-verse TV receiver also provide internet access, or do I need to maintain a separate connection through the BD player?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Message 1 of 7
Employee

Re: Adding U-verse TV to existing U-verse internet

Adding hardwired TV requires a tech visit, normally $ 99, may be waived depending on promotion.
The inid (Outdoor Unit...OU) will provide TV service, designed originally for coax only TV service.
an upgrade in late 2012 allowed for addition of two wireless receivers by adding the Wireless Access Point (WAP) connected to i38HG (Indoor Unit...IU) as well as connecting DVR by Ethernet from IU.

The receivers do not themselves provide wireless signal.

Considering the inid is still supported from a repair stand point but all new bonded installs since Sept 2013 now use the 589 RG, the install tech may very well replace the OU, PS (power supply) and IU with the 589 at IU location.
This will add 2 to 3 hours to time besides time installing DVR and any additional receiver(s).

Your wireless devices will of course need to be reprogrammed, advantage to upgrade 589 is wireless N capabilities.

If any more questions,please ask. Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Master

If you add TV service they might take out the iNID and install a new NVG589 gateway.  That would be the best solution.

As for the receivers other than the DVR, you will probably get the wireless boxes (up to two) so you can still use all of your existing ethernet cables as they are being used now.  If need be the Uverse tech can use coax to run the AT&T recievers that are seperate from the DVR.  The DVR is best connected via ethernet to the router.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
Employee

Hello @prins101 

Just checking up on your post. I noticed 'My Thoughts' and Beebeesa shared some great insight on the issue. We're glad that you are interested in trying out our TV service. Feel free to let me know if you would like to order the service or you can customize the order online using att.comThanks! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7
Employee

I hope that my thoughts and BeeBee have answered the questions you had about adding service. If you were ever wanting to add tv service, this is a great time of year to do it. We are offering great promotions for adding tv service.

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 7
Tutor

Thanks for the description of possible gateway changes - the NVG589 would be a win if it is available.  But I would prefer to use a wired connection to the TV rather than wireless.

There is no problem attaching a DVR directly to a dedicated ethernet port on the gateway.   A second port on the gateway can be dedicated to a (gigabit)  ethernet link leading to the TV room.  There it would terminate in a hub with connections to the U-verse receiver and to a separate player supporting netflix etc.  Will this arrangement work, i.e. can the receiver share the ethernet connection with other traffic (assuming sufficient bandwidth is available which should be the case in this setting)?

Thanks much for sharing your expertise and your help!

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

prins101 - Mixing the two terminations on the same ethernet from the RG can cause problems. Better to run one output to a switch for all the TVs and another to a switch for all internets, If either has few enough connections to not need a switch, just connect to the RG
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support