Ability to purchase Newe Modem to avoid Rental Fee

Contributor

Ability to purchase Newe Modem to avoid Rental Fee

Is it possible to purchase a AT&T U-Verse Modem that would do TV - Phone - Internet?

I am a Senior Network Engineer - and would like to own the equipment so that I can in hopes get the newest models possible. I currently have a 3801HGV and I dis-like it because it has wireless b/g and not n. I also don't like it because I can't turn DHCP off so I can run it on my own internal server. I was hoping that by purchasing one I could have some of theses features..

Also on a side note - is it possible to have multiple IP address's passed through to a router - so that I can give one IP to a webserver, another to my xbox one and the other to say a different server?

Message 1 of 6 (711 Views)
Employee

Re: Ability to purchase Newe Modem to avoid Rental Fee

Iptv requires leased RG, if internet and voip only FTTN single pair install (such as 3801) may purchase 3600 (b/g) or 5031 (b/g/n) for $100. Both of these units have (4) 10/100 port switches.

You may also purchased and place behind the newest, latest,greatest for your home network but for connection on a Uverse account must have correct authentication only available on leased or purchased ATT RGs.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (685 Views)
ACE - Master

And to add to this, you can order static IP's from AT&T for your server, etc.  Here is some information: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401631&cv=803#fbid=euBkPSjxPr-

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (660 Views)
ACE - Expert

JasonFieldz wrote:

Also on a side note - is it possible to have multiple IP address's passed through to a router - so that I can give one IP to a webserver, another to my xbox one and the other to say a different server?

The answer to this is no, unless your router will do proxy ARP or some other mechanism whereby it presents a unique MAC address for each IP address to be assigned to it.  The RG firmware expects a one to one mapping of IP addresses to MAC addresses.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (650 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

[ Edited ]

JasonFieldz wrote:

With all previous versions of the gateway firmware, no this was not possible at all without MAC address trickery as JefferMC stated above.

However, with the latest version of the gateway firmware, there is a new option in the settings called "Cascaded Router".  I have not tested this option, but it purportedly lets you route static IP addresses to the other side of your own router.

I have not seen any threads where anyone has tested this option, although I've suggested it to a couple people to solve their particular network configuration issues.

Message 5 of 6 (640 Views)
ACE - Expert

Right.  I forgot about that option, I guess because no one's reported in that it works.

Message 6 of 6 (624 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.