Ask a question

Posted Oct 29, 2013
    2:27:08 PM
    View profile
    ATT scammed me?
    Edited by cathy2981 on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:26:50 PM

So here is my situation.

I am furious right now with ATT. I was approached by a door-to-door salesperson from att on September 16, 2013. I explained to her that I was unhappy with my current internet (Time Warner Cable) but didnt want to pay anymore then I already was ($41/month) for internet.

She assured me she could help, and along with her sales pitch she told me ATT could get me internet and tv for $90/month. She also assured me that all I had to do was cancel the TV portion of the service one month after installation and the price of just internet (18Mbps) would be reduced to -$44/month-. I asked her multiple times to confirm.

She said Yes, after I cancel tv, it would be $44/month. She also said I would be presented with a mail in rebate to cover the installation fees. As she pulled out the papers to sign, she verbally stated that the papers did not lock me into a contract, but they merely confirmed what we spoke about that day. I asked her what would happen if i was dissapointed with the service, and she said all I would have to do is cancel it. no questions asked.

I happily signed the papers, and she went on her way.

They installed the system on October 12, 2013. I was never presented with any rebate options. I was never given a receipt or any papers to actually "agree to pay for the service." Apparently she was lying about the first set of papers I signed.

When I called in yesterday to cancel the TV portion of my service, I was told that my internet would go up significantly (i believe they said it would be about $58/month instead of $44/month). They also informed me of an early termination fee of $180 that I was NOT aware of. I was also informed that the door-to-door salespeople are not ATT represenatives, but a third party, and apparently ATT doesnt take responsibility for what they say.

I have called and left voicemails with the salesperson, but she will not answer or return my calls.

Her name is Saida, and the number she gave me was [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]. She claimed that she normally works in the Charlotte area.

At this point I am absolutely stunned at how I have allowed myself to be scammed by such a reputable corporation. Is there ANYTHING I can do to resolve this mess? 

- Jacob Mustin

ATT scammed me?

[ Edited ]
    2 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (2)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2013 3:26:07 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Your best bet is going to be sending a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT scammed me?

2 of 3 (437 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 30, 2013 6:30:15 AM
    (0)
    Community Manager

Hello, jcmustin!

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience with one of our door-to-door reps. As BeeBeeSA suggested, the best way to proceed would be to send a private message by clicking the link provided in his post.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: ATT scammed me?

3 of 3 (397 Views)