ATT/Yahoo E-mail Failures

Contributor

ATT/Yahoo E-mail Failures

I run an iMac. My Internet provider is ATT U-Verse (they use Yahoo.com for their e-mail system). This AM, I got a message that my system couldn't log into my att.net (yahoo) e-mail account, wrong password. Curious thing, my iPad and iPhone still get my ATT mail. I spent an hour on the phone with ATT, the 2nd level "Support person" tried selling me a $15 month service plan so they could "help" me. I refused. Called Apple Care. They have info that ATT is changing servers and protocols. This is an "intermittent e-mail problem".... I have yet to call ATT back... considering canceling my service. Have others recently had this type of problem?

Message 1 of 13 (12,835 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT/Yahoo E-mail Failures

sailndayz - No worries - sign up for a GMAIL account. From GMAIL download all you att stuff.
In att/yahoo set option to forward your mail to gmail.

Use gmail from then on problem free.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (12,835 Views)
Expert

Hang in there, someone will be along to offer a suggestion.  But until then you can also send Alex a PM he is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Message 3 of 13 (12,837 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

That's a pretty annoying issue, albeit a pretty simple fix.

When you have Apple Mail (5.0 I'm assuming) open, go to mail->preferences->accounts->(your account)

• *Incoming Mail Server: pop.att.yahoo.com
  • *Username: full email address with @att.net
  • *Password: the email's password

Click on the drop-down for Outgoing Mail Server->Edit SMTP Server List
If you have multiple emails, select the att.net option from this list
Click on advanced

• *Use Default Ports selected
  • *Use SSL checked
  • *Username = full email @att.net
  • *Password = full password

Click on Account Information

• *Server Name = smtp.att.yahoo.com (this is the Outgoing Mail Server)

Click OK
Click on the Advanced tab

• *Port= 995 SSL = Checked

The only things that could have changed:
Password
Incoming Mail Server
Outgoing Mail Server

Recently, att has released new mail servers, however I haven't had them work successfully yet. They may be something useful to try.
Incoming Mail Server: inbound.att.net
Outgoing Mail Server: outbound.att.net

The service the tech support rep was offering was Connectech which ATT's approach to a fee-based Geek Squad (and much cheaper). They help troubleshoot all computer-related issues such as client-based emails. ATT has taken the approach that they have no responsibility in supporting your client mail, which makes sense. All the information is at your fingertips with a quick google search. Using the dedicated forums is a great tool, and I'm glad to see you're utilizing your resources!

Message 4 of 13 (12,787 Views)
ACE - Expert

Nope, wrong, inbound inbound.att.net  995, outbound outbound.att.net 465, ssl required, user ID and password.

This is for all that this does not apply to:

If you created a free att.net e-mail address after June 11th, 2011 you will not be able to use an e-mail client to access your e-mail.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=PTFdy6TPO0h Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13 (12,772 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

To clarify, the same way you can login through login.yahoo.com, you can authenticate through yahoo as well as ATT. If the inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net don't work for you, then you can try yahoo's as an alternative.

I fail to see how the information about "If you created a free att.net e-mail address after June 11th, 2011 you will not be able to use an e-mail client to access your e-mail." is useful. The issue is they stopped receiving client mail from 5/31/2012 any beyond. 6/11/2011 was over a year ago.

Towards the bottom of that page:

"AT&T's POP/SMTP settings have changed to inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net, but if you are using the old server settings (pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com), they will continue to work. You do not have to change them at this time."

Message 6 of 13 (12,767 Views)
ACE - Expert

They may work for some, but ATT has stopped supporting email clients and they don't really care if they work as they want everyone to use webmail. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 7 of 13 (12,713 Views)
Contributor

Just spent 2 days on the phone with support.  6 years with minimal problems.  All the sudden...Mac, Iphone and Ipad "smtp server rejected the password".  Cannot receive or send e-mail.  Told that support for clients...ANY clients will have to be paid for.  I have a $330 bill for ATT.  Website knows they exist but IT has no idea (or so thet say).  Bottom line...same error message, ZERO support from ATT.

Yes I changed all my settings but that doesn't matter because my settings were the same for IMac, IPhone and IPad.  Only way they could have failed is thru ATT.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB412563#fbid=LgWfChW2vzP

Yes, these password changes will work thru att.net (yahoo) but will not work thru any clients.  

If anyone can prove to me that ATT isn't up to the practices of the 70's and 80's I'd appreciate it.

'Cause I still can't get my e-mail thru my Mac and I'm about to desecrate this company.

P.S.  downloaded Thunderbird and yes.."smtp server rejected the password"

Message 8 of 13 (12,605 Views)
Contributor

Mac users beware - your att.net email WILL NOT WORK with Mac Email.

AT&T needs to publish this information, as the service has been nothing but a tremendous hassle in our Mac-based household. Just beyond aggravating. And it is truly pathetic how you're treated, spending thousand$ annually for wire service to the homes, and ZERO published infomration explaining that you cannot use Client Email software. NO EXCUSE, AT&T, Truly shameful.

Message 9 of 13 (12,589 Views)
Mentor

You're not configuring the settings correctly if it's rejecting the password. Failed at the authentification step. Whether or not your att email works with client mail is not an issue that ATT chose to support any longer. They pay for, host, and update a perfectly good webmail. Mkae sure to have all the correct settings laid out in a previous post.
Message 10 of 13 (12,581 Views)
Contributor

5 hours lost here ... you are correct that it is an intermittent problem ... email only works on second party software 10% of the time !!! When you run a business depending on the fastest internet as well as one of the largest providers in the world. NOT TO MENTION how mych I pay each month. I give them another couple days and I am pulling the plug on the phone / Uverse / as well as internet and never coming back.

Message 11 of 13 (6,979 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I'm having problems, too. Some emails I've sent out today went through. Others were returned. Also recieving duplicate emails. Some months ago, I ran into the same problems you did with tech support - being on the phone with assorted people for a couple of years, then getting the $15/month pitch. Seems like things never go smoothly for very long before some kind of "issue" or another comes along. I'm not tech savvy enough to know if the probs are at ATT's end or Yahoo's end. It is so frustrating!

MY REPLY HAS BEEN PLACED WITH THE WRONG COMMENT!  I was replying to a comment dated today, 09-03-13!

Message 12 of 13 (5,575 Views)
Scholar

It's probably best to stop using AT&T mail. Finally got my wife off it a few years ago so that I could switch if I wanted to. I've been using gmail and yahoo as well as some others for some time now.
Message 13 of 13 (5,430 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.