Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 27, 2013
2:13:15 PM
ATT Uverse Modem, Dropped Connections and Ethernet cable not registering V2
Edited by rchrdhng on Jul 27, 2013 at 2:15:24 PM

Hi All,

Whenever my connection is dropped, the Broadband and Service light turns off, then they start flashing. 

In regards to the ethernet, even turning off my laptop's wifi does not force it register the wired connection. 

Also another question: Will turning my RG off every night and back on every day bad for the RG. It's a habit I have when I still had my old Speedstream 5100 modem back when I had DSL Internet. 

The model number is 3801HGV and I live in a 2 unit house. I only use the RG for Internet. If a tech is required, what sort of tech should I ask for?

UV Realtime Screenshots:

Hi All,

Whenever my connection is dropped, the Broadband and Service light turns off, then they start flashing. 

In regards to the ethernet, even turning off my laptop's wifi does not force it register the wired connection. 

Also another question: Will turning my RG off every night and back on every day bad for the RG. It's a habit I have when I still had my old Speedstream 5100 modem back when I had DSL Internet. 

The model number is 3801HGV and I live in a 2 unit house. I only use the RG for Internet. If a tech is required, what sort of tech should I ask for?

UV Realtime Screenshots:

ATT Uverse Modem, Dropped Connections and Ethernet cable not registering V2

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 4:32:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Call TS right now and have them check your line, those errorrs are off the chart and the bitloading is showing a bridge tap/interference problem in it's strange look. Blocks should be solid and better shaped. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Call TS right now and have them check your line, those errorrs are off the chart and the bitloading is showing a bridge tap/interference problem in it's strange look. Blocks should be solid and better shaped. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT Uverse Modem, Dropped Connections and Ethernet cable not registering V2

2 of 11 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 5:02:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hello,

It's been several hours since I last posted. Tell me how's it look like now

Here's the latest on UV Realtime:

Hello,

It's been several hours since I last posted. Tell me how's it look like now

Here's the latest on UV Realtime:

3 of 11 (606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 5:29:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You forgot the Error Table and posted the IP/Profile page twice.  Still call TS as the bitloading looks almost as bad. Smiley Wink

Chris

You forgot the Error Table and posted the IP/Profile page twice.  Still call TS as the bitloading looks almost as bad. Smiley Wink

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 5:35:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Agreed.  Need to see the error page.  When it isn't disconnecting on you, how is service working?

Agreed.  Need to see the error page.  When it isn't disconnecting on you, how is service working?

5 of 11 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 8:41:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

My Apologies for the Error table. When service IS working, my connection works great, no noticeable slowdowns or anything out of the ordinary. However, the Ethernet doesnt ever work, even if I turn off my laptop's wifi. 

Here are the latests IP, Error, Bitloading

My Apologies for the Error table. When service IS working, my connection works great, no noticeable slowdowns or anything out of the ordinary. However, the Ethernet doesnt ever work, even if I turn off my laptop's wifi. 

Here are the latests IP, Error, Bitloading

6 of 11 (561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 5:56:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 28, 2013 at 5:57:19 AM

While there is some sign of interference in your bitloading graph, it appears that you can go hours at a stretch (3 hours 45 minutes on the last screen shot) without any uncorrectable errors.  This points to something enviromental that comes on and off.  Things like air conditioners, treadmills, streetlights (not likely in your case since the problems were in the middle of the day and went away in the evening), bad electronics equipment transformers, the list goes on and on.  These kind of things are the worst because they don't stay on and let you find them.

First, is there a time of day pattern?  Secondly, next time it goes off, think if something has just been used (e.g. microwave).  It could be something outside your house, but those are harder to control for AND would be AT&T's responsibilty to find and fix.  If it's in your home, it'll be yours to correct.

BTW, you're getting a lot of correctable errors, too, but a certain number of these are okay.

While there is some sign of interference in your bitloading graph, it appears that you can go hours at a stretch (3 hours 45 minutes on the last screen shot) without any uncorrectable errors.  This points to something enviromental that comes on and off.  Things like air conditioners, treadmills, streetlights (not likely in your case since the problems were in the middle of the day and went away in the evening), bad electronics equipment transformers, the list goes on and on.  These kind of things are the worst because they don't stay on and let you find them.

First, is there a time of day pattern?  Secondly, next time it goes off, think if something has just been used (e.g. microwave).  It could be something outside your house, but those are harder to control for AND would be AT&T's responsibilty to find and fix.  If it's in your home, it'll be yours to correct.

BTW, you're getting a lot of correctable errors, too, but a certain number of these are okay.

[ Edited ]
7 of 11 (514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 12:47:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by rchrdhng on Jul 28, 2013 at 12:48:25 PM

Hmmn, Seems strange, the most recent thing that happened as of now that I can be sure of is the TV turning on.

As for patterns, it seems to happen most in the afternoon. I'll have to check as I dont keep track of exactly when.

BTW, for some strange reason I keep having to constantly uninstall and reinstall UV Realtime to get it to work everyday. Is there some weird reason for that?

Here's how it is a few minutes after the dropped connection:

Hmmn, Seems strange, the most recent thing that happened as of now that I can be sure of is the TV turning on.

As for patterns, it seems to happen most in the afternoon. I'll have to check as I dont keep track of exactly when.

BTW, for some strange reason I keep having to constantly uninstall and reinstall UV Realtime to get it to work everyday. Is there some weird reason for that?

Here's how it is a few minutes after the dropped connection:

[ Edited ]
8 of 11 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 1:02:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
rchrdhng - I believe it was Somejoe who suggested, long ago, to track down interference in the house with an am radio - listening for static getting ,ouder close to the source. I believe he found faulty power brick(s) this way.
rchrdhng - I believe it was Somejoe who suggested, long ago, to track down interference in the house with an am radio - listening for static getting ,ouder close to the source. I believe he found faulty power brick(s) this way.

9 of 11 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 4:36:14 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by rchrdhng on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:46:18 PM

Many thanks.

Before I start, I have another question. Does me putting my laptop close to the RG cause interference? Because normally my laptop is around less than 3 feet away from the RG. 

Either way, what's the best way to go about sniffing for the interference? I mean, what frequency range? 

Also, any ideas on what is going on with my Ethernet? For some strange reason the light on the RG never turns on even though I plugged an ethernet cord into the yellow ports.

Many thanks.

Before I start, I have another question. Does me putting my laptop close to the RG cause interference? Because normally my laptop is around less than 3 feet away from the RG. 

Either way, what's the best way to go about sniffing for the interference? I mean, what frequency range? 

Also, any ideas on what is going on with my Ethernet? For some strange reason the light on the RG never turns on even though I plugged an ethernet cord into the yellow ports.

[ Edited ]
10 of 11 (438 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 7:36:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The laptop itself, or the power adapter, could be creating interference.  The way to eliminate the adapter is to use battery power. 

You should get a Ethernet light on when there's wiredEthernet traffic.

Frequencies are anywhere on the AM band, really.  You can look at the bitloading chart, and remember that the AM band is 550 to 1600 KHz and look for a nasty drop.

The laptop itself, or the power adapter, could be creating interference.  The way to eliminate the adapter is to use battery power. 

You should get a Ethernet light on when there's wiredEthernet traffic.

Frequencies are anywhere on the AM band, really.  You can look at the bitloading chart, and remember that the AM band is 550 to 1600 KHz and look for a nasty drop.

11 of 11 (392 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments