Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Sep 29, 2013
7:03:06 PM
ATT UVERSE INTERNET SECUIRTY ISSUE FOR 2WIRE ROUTERS

Friends: Curious if you have the same problem.

ATT recently upgraded all UVERSE Routers with new firmware. Once you are connected to your network either wireless or by wire, you can get access to your your router by the IP address. While this is normal, ATT now shows the passwords for WIFI access without having to physically login to the router ON THE HOME SCREEN. This means that any user connected to your network can get access whether a guest, intruder etc. All routers typically do not give access to view pass codes until you physically login to the device as an extra security measure. I assume many people have given their wifi network to friends, family members, kids for casual internet access. This presents a problem. Has anyone notice this issue and can elaborate when att plans to fix this HUGE SECURIZTY ISSUE? I called ATT and after an hour they recognized this is a huge problem but could not tell me whether or not a FIX is on the way or even if it will be addressed. Certainly, this is really newsworthy and could harm a lot of people. I hope ATT acts accordingly. Please protect your data!

Friends: Curious if you have the same problem.

ATT recently upgraded all UVERSE Routers with new firmware. Once you are connected to your network either wireless or by wire, you can get access to your your router by the IP address. While this is normal, ATT now shows the passwords for WIFI access without having to physically login to the router ON THE HOME SCREEN. This means that any user connected to your network can get access whether a guest, intruder etc. All routers typically do not give access to view pass codes until you physically login to the device as an extra security measure. I assume many people have given their wifi network to friends, family members, kids for casual internet access. This presents a problem. Has anyone notice this issue and can elaborate when att plans to fix this HUGE SECURIZTY ISSUE? I called ATT and after an hour they recognized this is a huge problem but could not tell me whether or not a FIX is on the way or even if it will be addressed. Certainly, this is really newsworthy and could harm a lot of people. I hope ATT acts accordingly. Please protect your data!

ATT UVERSE INTERNET SECUIRTY ISSUE FOR 2WIRE ROUTERS

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 8:04:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, this is not a security problem, it's solving the problem of the wrong sticker on the RG for the wireless key, w/no secure access w/o the key.

If your wireless is securely protected, no one but those authorized can see the wireless key and if you don't trust them, they should not be on your network. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

No, this is not a security problem, it's solving the problem of the wrong sticker on the RG for the wireless key, w/no secure access w/o the key.

If your wireless is securely protected, no one but those authorized can see the wireless key and if you don't trust them, they should not be on your network. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT UVERSE INTERNET SECUIRTY ISSUE FOR 2WIRE ROUTERS

2 of 2 (508 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments