ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

Contributor

ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

 
Message 1 of 14 (975 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

While your title is a nice complete sentence, it still doesn't provide enough information for me to understand what you're talking about.  I doubt I'm alone.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (950 Views)
Contributor

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

Here in Louisville, Ky the only Public Access TV offered by ATT U-Verse is the City Of New Albany, Indiana which has a population about 10% of Louisville's ( 700K.)

I like New Albany; but I'd rather watch my hometown's Metro Council; than New Albany's City Council.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 3 of 14 (950 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

[ Edited ]

Does the City of Louisville provide a public access TV feed of its Metro Council?

 

EDIT:  I see that it does:  http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroTV/.

 

I'd go to AT&T's channel suggestion form and request it.  Here's the link:

 

http://uversechannels.att.com/

 

If they ever do carry it, it would very likely be on Channel 99.

 

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14 (948 Views)

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

[ Edited ]

Here in the SF Bay Area Market, ATT has 52 Communities so far that sign up and bought the required network gear   from att to broadcast on their government channel 99. Where I live, here in San Jose Ca, our Public Access channels here has stated in a press release that they are Too Cheap and have no intention in buying required network gear to broadcast on ATT government channel 99.

Message 5 of 14 (936 Views)
Scholar

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

They seem to have ALMOST everything covered here in Southeast Wisconsin, except Kenosha's Education and Public Access channels are not available. The City Government access channel is available.

 

Kenosha is a city of about 100,000, in the Milwaukee TV market. Since we get all of the access channels available to us in the market, here's what we have (That is when they work, sometimes they don't connect):

 

Cedarburg Government Access

Germantown Government Access

Greenfield Government Access

Hartford City Hall TV (Government and Local Access)

Hartland Village Television (Government Access)

Kenosha Government Access (Public and Education Access channels are missing)

Milwaukee Government Access

Milwaukee Public Access Channel 14 (Professional Public Access)

Milwaukee Public Access Channel 96 (Non Professional Public Access)

Milwaukee Public Schools (Education Access)

MATC (Milwaukee-Area Technical College channel)

Milwaukee Higher Education (Non-English Newscasts in various languages)

Oak Creek Community TV (Government Access)

Pleasant Prairie Government Access

Racine Government/Community Access

Sheboygan Community Television (Public Access)

Sheboygan Education Access

Waukesha Government Access

Wauwatosa Government Access

West Allis Government/Community Access

West Bent Government/Community Access

 

We're pretty well covered around here, sometimes they just don't connect, others (such as public access) are simply not carried. These days, many Public and Educational Access channels stream online free, so it's not impossible to access them. 

Message 6 of 14 (897 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

[ Edited ]

AT&T set up the PEG channels as an app, and gosh darn it, they (AT&T) like it....  Others, not so much.

 

Unfortuantely some cities have complained about the app versus channel placement as the municiplaties have to jump through more hoops to get on the air, moreso than they do with cable.  Also there is no way they can be recorded.   With Comcast it was right there on channel 16, no having to hunt for it and scroll through every burg' in the state.  Smiley Happy

 

OP: I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  The one thing is that you reside in Indiana.  I know that AT&T has some weird ways of doing things when it comes to state borders versus metro regions.  Do the other cable companies in New Albany, carry Lousville's Govt channels?  And one more question - do you call it lew-UH-vul or LOO-ee-ville? Smiley Wink I have family in Clarskville.  I call it the latter but they say the former, lol.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 14 (854 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.


dhascall wrote:

AT&T set up the PEG channels as an app, and gosh darn it, they (AT&T) like it....  Others, not so much.

 

Unfortuantely some cities have complained about the app versus channel placement as the municiplaties have to jump through more hoops to get on the air, moreso than they do with cable.  Also there is no way they can be recorded.   With Comcast it was right there on channel 16, no having to hunt for it and scroll through every burg' in the state.  Smiley Happy

 

OP: I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  The one thing is that you reside in Indiana.  I know that AT&T has some weird ways of doing things when it comes to state borders versus metro regions.  Do the other cable companies in New Albany, carry Lousville's Govt channels?  And one more question - do you call it lew-UH-vul or LOO-ee-ville? Smiley Wink I have family in Clarskville.  I call it the latter but they say the former, lol.


I believe he said he lives in Kentucky, and found it strange that he could get a public access channel for some town in Indiana, but not for his own city in Louisville, Kentucky.

 

There are a host of technical reasons why AT&T prefers the current arrangement.  I don't see any reason why it provides any higher requirements for the local goverenments to jump through than having individual channels; the requirements to the video provider would be pretty much the same either way.

 

Louisville, KY's web site provides ready archives of past events, so recording shouldn't be all that much of an issue here.  They appear to keep and publish pretty good schedules of activities, unlike most local public access channels (which makes having a guide, a requirement for recording, problematic).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 14 (812 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.


JefferMC wrote:

dhascall wrote:

AT&T set up the PEG channels as an app, and gosh darn it, they (AT&T) like it....  Others, not so much.

 

Unfortuantely some cities have complained about the app versus channel placement as the municiplaties have to jump through more hoops to get on the air, moreso than they do with cable.  Also there is no way they can be recorded.   With Comcast it was right there on channel 16, no having to hunt for it and scroll through every burg' in the state.  Smiley Happy

 

OP: I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  The one thing is that you reside in Indiana.  I know that AT&T has some weird ways of doing things when it comes to state borders versus metro regions.  Do the other cable companies in New Albany, carry Lousville's Govt channels?  And one more question - do you call it lew-UH-vul or LOO-ee-ville? Smiley Wink I have family in Clarskville.  I call it the latter but they say the former, lol.


I believe he said he lives in Kentucky, and found it strange that he could get a public access channel for some town in Indiana, but not for his own city in Louisville, Kentucky.

 

There are a host of technical reasons why AT&T prefers the current arrangement.  I don't see any reason why it provides any higher requirements for the local goverenments to jump through than having individual channels; the requirements to the video provider would be pretty much the same either way.

 

Louisville, KY's web site provides ready archives of past events, so recording shouldn't be all that much of an issue here.  They appear to keep and publish pretty good schedules of activities, unlike most local public access channels (which makes having a guide, a requirement for recording, problematic).


He lives in New Albany, which is an Indiana community on the North side of the Ohio River, directly across from Louisville.  He did confuse things by saying "here in Louisville."  I would say half the folks in Clarksville, Jeffersonville and New Albany (all Indiana towns) work and play in Louisville.  He does have a vested interest in Louisville but lives in Hoosierdom......

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 14 (705 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.


dhascall wrote:

He lives in New Albany, which is an Indiana community on the North side of the Ohio River, directly across from Louisville.  He did confuse things by saying "here in Louisville."  I would say half the folks in Clarksville, Jeffersonville and New Albany (all Indiana towns) work and play in Louisville.  He does have a vested interest in Louisville but lives in Hoosierdom......


Sorry, I still think you are the confused one Smiley Wink

 


Rusty.herron1942 wrote:

Here in Louisville, Ky the only Public Access TV offered by ATT U-Verse is the City Of New Albany, Indiana which has a population about 10% of Louisville's ( 700K.) I like New Albany; but I'd rather watch my hometown's Metro Council; than New Albany's City Council.


Let's parse this out:

 

 "Here in Louisville, Ky".

 

 Seems pretty clear, "I am in Louisville."  

 

"I like new Albany; but I'd rather watch my hometown's Metro Council; than New Alabany's City Council"

 

Again, he's contrasting "New Albany" against "my hometown," showing that they are two different places.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 14 (699 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

He could have been clearer.  I think that he thought that most knew where New Albany (NA) was in relationship to Louisville.  Who know, amy be he was in Louisville when he posted (on his iPhone)?  At any rate, thanks for sharing the info on how he can access it, online. 

 

Speaking of Geography: Some friend on Facebook had a rant cocerning the Indianapolis suburb of Greenwood.  Greenwood is in Johnson county and sets about a dozen or so miles South of downtown Indianapolis.  Unfortunately many people call the area of Southern Indianapolis (which is in Marion County) "Greenwood."   So that is a bit similar to him calling NA Louisville, when he probably should have said Louisville metro. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 14 (689 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.


dhascall wrote:

He could have been clearer.  ...  So that is a bit similar to him calling NA Louisville, when he probably should have said Louisville metro. 


Once again, he never referred to any part of "New Albany" as being "Louisville."  He was saying:

 

1) I live in Louisville.

2) but the only public affairs channel I can find on U-verse is from this other town in another state called New Albany.

3) Isn't it strange that I live in one city (Louisville) in one state (KY), but all I can watch is the affairs of a small town (New Albany) across the river in another state (IN).

 

I thought he was perfectly clear.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 14 (661 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

I reread and I was totally off mah rocker.  He lives in Louisville but finds it odd that he can watch NA's town "doings" but not Louisville's.  What Jeffer said!  Took me a week.  My bad, lol.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 14 (614 Views)

Re: ATT U Verse needs to expand its Local Government footprint in all communities it serves.

Here in Costa Mesa, Orange County, California, AT&T U-verse provides the City of Costa Mesa channel and our local school board, but does not provide the Public Access channel.  We get a channel for the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, but not the one for Orange County.  U-verse also doesn't carry The California Channel, which is like a C-SPAN version of the California Legislature.

 

Time-Warner carries all the channels that U-verse is missing, in addition to the ones U-verse does carry except for the L.A. County BOS.

Message 14 of 14 (594 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.