AT&T sent me to collections while outstanding balance was in dispute.

Tutor

AT&T sent me to collections while outstanding balance was in dispute.

Hello,

I am a loyal AT&T Customer, we have practically everything AT&T.

We cancelled Uverse around November 2011 and I returned all the equipment they asked for that we had.  Several months later, without getting a phone call or letter from AT&T, a collection company began calling me saying I owe a outstanding balance of $161 for outstanding equipment.  Immediately I called the Uverse phone number to see what was going on.  

They said that I did not return one piece of equipment and that we had to charge you a fee.  I returned everything and did have nothing left for Uverse.  I explained my side of the story and the agent went ahead and escalated the situation and opened up a Case to investigate some more.  This Case was opened up in February-March.  

I explained to the collection company that I have opened up a case and he mentioned that since a case has been open they will not attempt to collect until a resolution is made. 

Fast Forward until July.  I have not head anything from AT&T so I decided to call them on July 5th to see what was going on, since I did not want this to damage my credit, and relationship with AT&T for future service.  The agent said that the Case has not yet been resolved, bear in mind that it has been around 4 months since it was open.  I wanted to settle and get it over with so I brought up going 50/50 which they obliged and I ended up paying around $80 to close my account and case.  

I thought everything was over and done with....but....on July 13th, I monitor my credit very closely since I have a solid 776 score and I am ready to purchase a home in the next year, I recieved a notice that my credit has been given a negative inquirery and it has dropped to 663!

WHY DID AT&T ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A BALANCE WHEN  WE HAD A OPEN CASE TO FIGURE OUT A RESOLUTION?

I called the collection company EOS CCA, which were very nice and mentioned to me that this was done in error if I had a open case and that a representative from AT&T needs to call them to remove the Negative Collection on my Credit Report.  I called AT&T and after being on the phone for 45 Mins and being transferred about 5 times, a rep in Account Receivables told me she will forward my information to a Supervisor to have them call the Collection Company to remove everything.  She said it will take about 24 hours and I will receive a phone call from them.  It has been 3 days and no phone call has been made.  

I am very upset that AT&T would send me to collections even though, 1. I am not at fault, and 2. I had a OPEN CASE with them.  

I just want the Negative Report to be removed from my credit.  It is a shame that $161 will drop my credit score over 100+ points!

Any Advice? or is there a 'Office of the Presidents' Email address I can adress my issue too, like they do with Time Warner Cable. 

Thanks for listening, hope you all have a great day.

Message 1 of 20 (21,059 Views)
Contributor

Re: AT&T sent me to collections while outstanding balance was in dispute.

Thanks to this post everything should be getting settled.  I thought I would respond as this seems to get a lot of views and this hasn't been updated in a while.  After getting the run around by calling in and no one knew what they were doing, I got frustrated.  If only i just sent a message to customer service or made a complaint to the BBB right away I would of saved a lot of time. 

Two things you can do to get a response from AT&T from someone that knows what they are doing.

1.  Send a message from here to customer service and they will get you the the appropriate person.  You want to be talking with someone from the "presidents office."  Takes about a day or two for someone to reach out to you, but you want to talk to someone from there.

2.  File a complaint with the BBB and someone from the presidents office will be in contact with you.  That will take about 2-3 days.

I did both and two people called me from the "Presidents Office" who explained that they will get the mark taken off my credit report and also refund my money.

Message 16 of 20 (13,480 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

@voldre08  

Thanks for posting your solution to help others. Smiley Happy  

Glad to hear you got the result you desired !

Message 17 of 20 (12,489 Views)
Contributor

dear voldre08, may I know how to "Send a message from here to customer service " ?

Thank you very much
Message 18 of 20 (9,085 Views)
ACE - Guru

Here you go Liang Yang Lin

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM(Blue envelope top right of screen) between the hours of 7am-10pm CST Monday - Friday, should hear back within 2 to 3 business days.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 20 (9,078 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

very much appreciated, Jeffster_1.
Message 20 of 20 (9,070 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.