Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 19, 2012
1:59:52 AM
View profile
AT&T sent me to collections while outstanding balance was in dispute.

Hello,

I am a loyal AT&T Customer, we have practically everything AT&T.

We cancelled Uverse around November 2011 and I returned all the equipment they asked for that we had.  Several months later, without getting a phone call or letter from AT&T, a collection company began calling me saying I owe a outstanding balance of $161 for outstanding equipment.  Immediately I called the Uverse phone number to see what was going on.  

They said that I did not return one piece of equipment and that we had to charge you a fee.  I returned everything and did have nothing left for Uverse.  I explained my side of the story and the agent went ahead and escalated the situation and opened up a Case to investigate some more.  This Case was opened up in February-March.  

I explained to the collection company that I have opened up a case and he mentioned that since a case has been open they will not attempt to collect until a resolution is made. 

Fast Forward until July.  I have not head anything from AT&T so I decided to call them on July 5th to see what was going on, since I did not want this to damage my credit, and relationship with AT&T for future service.  The agent said that the Case has not yet been resolved, bear in mind that it has been around 4 months since it was open.  I wanted to settle and get it over with so I brought up going 50/50 which they obliged and I ended up paying around $80 to close my account and case.  

I thought everything was over and done with....but....on July 13th, I monitor my credit very closely since I have a solid 776 score and I am ready to purchase a home in the next year, I recieved a notice that my credit has been given a negative inquirery and it has dropped to 663!

WHY DID AT&T ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A BALANCE WHEN  WE HAD A OPEN CASE TO FIGURE OUT A RESOLUTION?

I called the collection company EOS CCA, which were very nice and mentioned to me that this was done in error if I had a open case and that a representative from AT&T needs to call them to remove the Negative Collection on my Credit Report.  I called AT&T and after being on the phone for 45 Mins and being transferred about 5 times, a rep in Account Receivables told me she will forward my information to a Supervisor to have them call the Collection Company to remove everything.  She said it will take about 24 hours and I will receive a phone call from them.  It has been 3 days and no phone call has been made.  

I am very upset that AT&T would send me to collections even though, 1. I am not at fault, and 2. I had a OPEN CASE with them.  

I just want the Negative Report to be removed from my credit.  It is a shame that $161 will drop my credit score over 100+ points!

Any Advice? or is there a 'Office of the Presidents' Email address I can adress my issue too, like they do with Time Warner Cable. 

Thanks for listening, hope you all have a great day.

Hello,

We cancelled Uverse around November 2011 and I returned all the equipment they asked for that we had.  Several months later, without getting a phone call or letter from AT&T, a collection company began calling me saying I owe a outstanding balance of $161 for outstanding equipment.  Immediately I called the Uverse phone number to see what was going on.  

They said that I did not return one piece of equipment and that we had to charge you a fee.  I returned everything and did have nothing left for Uverse.  I explained my side of the story and the agent went ahead and escalated the situation and opened up a Case to investigate some more.  This Case was opened up in February-March.  

I explained to the collection company that I have opened up a case and he mentioned that since a case has been open they will not attempt to collect until a resolution is made. 

Fast Forward until July.  I have not head anything from AT&T so I decided to call them on July 5th to see what was going on, since I did not want this to damage my credit, and relationship with AT&T for future service.  The agent said that the Case has not yet been resolved, bear in mind that it has been around 4 months since it was open.  I wanted to settle and get it over with so I brought up going 50/50 which they obliged and I ended up paying around $80 to close my account and case.  

I thought everything was over and done with....but....on July 13th, I monitor my credit very closely since I have a solid 776 score and I am ready to purchase a home in the next year, I recieved a notice that my credit has been given a negative inquirery and it has dropped to 663!

WHY DID AT&T ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A BALANCE WHEN  WE HAD A OPEN CASE TO FIGURE OUT A RESOLUTION?

I called the collection company EOS CCA, which were very nice and mentioned to me that this was done in error if I had a open case and that a representative from AT&T needs to call them to remove the Negative Collection on my Credit Report.  I called AT&T and after being on the phone for 45 Mins and being transferred about 5 times, a rep in Account Receivables told me she will forward my information to a Supervisor to have them call the Collection Company to remove everything.  She said it will take about 24 hours and I will receive a phone call from them.  It has been 3 days and no phone call has been made.  

I am very upset that AT&T would send me to collections even though, 1. I am not at fault, and 2. I had a OPEN CASE with them.  

I just want the Negative Report to be removed from my credit.  It is a shame that $161 will drop my credit score over 100+ points!

Any Advice? or is there a 'Office of the Presidents' Email address I can adress my issue too, like they do with Time Warner Cable. 

AT&T sent me to collections while outstanding balance was in dispute.

19 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 5:54:17 AM
(0)
Master

Bboulus wrote:

Hello,

Well, the obvious problem is AT&T is far too bloated and incompetant and it's amazing they don't just self destruct like a band of monkeys with bic lighters in a gas factory.

I think you made a big mistake bargaining with AT&T, that's exactly what they wanted because as soon as you agree to pay any part of the charge you are also agreeing you were in the wrong.

You should go back to which ever credit reporting service you went to for your report and start a dispute.

You can send a message to Alex and he will have someone contact you within a couple business days. To see his reply, click the little blue envelope, upper right corner of this page.

Or you can call the Retention Department. The quickest way in is to call the 2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks (if calling from your home), and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Bboulus wrote:

Hello,

Well, the obvious problem is AT&T is far too bloated and incompetant and it's amazing they don't just self destruct like a band of monkeys with bic lighters in a gas factory.

I think you made a big mistake bargaining with AT&T, that's exactly what they wanted because as soon as you agree to pay any part of the charge you are also agreeing you were in the wrong.

You should go back to which ever credit reporting service you went to for your report and start a dispute.

You can send a message to Alex and he will have someone contact you within a couple business days. To see his reply, click the little blue envelope, upper right corner of this page.

Or you can call the Retention Department. The quickest way in is to call the 2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks (if calling from your home), and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: AT&T sent me to collections while outstanding balance was in dispute.

2 of 20 (20,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2012 4:17:03 AM
(0)
Master

Sending a PM to Alex is your best bet.  He or someone from his team will be in touch with you.  I had a similar issue resolved in less than a week not so long ago. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Sending a PM to Alex is your best bet.  He or someone from his team will be in touch with you.  I had a similar issue resolved in less than a week not so long ago. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

3 of 20 (20,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2012 8:18:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Bboulus,

Has AT&T contacted the collection agency yet?   I've been dealing with them over a similar issue about their equipment.  In my case the equipment was lost in a tornado.  We were told the account was closed, balance settled, etc.  And then low and behold, we received a notice from a collection agency.   This was a complete surprise and I am just amazed at the lack of customer service we have experienced. 

Good luck!

Bboulus,

Has AT&T contacted the collection agency yet?   I've been dealing with them over a similar issue about their equipment.  In my case the equipment was lost in a tornado.  We were told the account was closed, balance settled, etc.  And then low and behold, we received a notice from a collection agency.   This was a complete surprise and I am just amazed at the lack of customer service we have experienced. 

Good luck!

4 of 20 (20,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2012 4:45:39 AM
(0)
Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Ahhh, so you have had issues with your Uverse. You've just had better luck than others with resolution.Smiley Wink

oufanindallas wrote:

Ahhh, so you have had issues with your Uverse. You've just had better luck than others with resolution.Smiley Wink

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 20 (20,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 3:33:13 AM
(0)
Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Yes, not that I knew it until I tried to buy a house.  Luckily it was corrected in less that 3 days.  Alex's team and the support I got was outstanding.

Computer-Joe wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Yes, not that I knew it until I tried to buy a house.  Luckily it was corrected in less that 3 days.  Alex's team and the support I got was outstanding.

6 of 20 (20,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2012 11:15:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

I sent a Private Message to alex and within several hours, a member from his team Emailed and Called me in regards to what was going on.  

They were very helpful and forwarded a report to the "Office of the President' and within two days, a resolution was made and a refund was given to me and everything was removed by the credit agencies.  My Credit Score went back to what it was before this mess.

They were extreamly helpful, and I also recieved a follow up phone call by alex's team a week later making sure if there was anything else I may have needed.

Whenever you have a serious claim and nothing is being done, always request to have someone from the Presidents Office to contact you.  Second time I have done this and they get back to you way quicker!

Good Luck to you all with similar problems.

I sent a Private Message to alex and within several hours, a member from his team Emailed and Called me in regards to what was going on.  

They were very helpful and forwarded a report to the "Office of the President' and within two days, a resolution was made and a refund was given to me and everything was removed by the credit agencies.  My Credit Score went back to what it was before this mess.

They were extreamly helpful, and I also recieved a follow up phone call by alex's team a week later making sure if there was anything else I may have needed.

Whenever you have a serious claim and nothing is being done, always request to have someone from the Presidents Office to contact you.  Second time I have done this and they get back to you way quicker!

7 of 20 (20,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 4:14:59 AM
(0)
Master

Bboulus wrote:

Glad everything was resolved to your satisfaction. Thanks for coming back and giving us an update.

Bboulus wrote:

Glad everything was resolved to your satisfaction. Thanks for coming back and giving us an update.

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 20 (20,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 5:01:07 PM
(0)
Expert

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting.

9 of 20 (20,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2012 5:32:31 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:57:56 PM

Very, very similar issue. We had U Verse, moved and the account had to be canceled and open a new account to move the service to the new house. We returned the equipment as required. After the year we decided to terminate and returned the equipment, as required.(Reason for return was false sales promises. When we complained to a service rep they said that the sales are contractors and not liable, legally factually incorrect). Early last year we started getting collections for BOTH sets of equipment. At all times we provided the shipping receipts, tracking, receipt confirmation, etc. The calls stop only to start again by another agency for the exact same issue. Who is his miracle Alex and how do I "PM" him? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I’ve flipped through the complaints and they are so numerous. Someone has to be monitoring this board and keeping metrics. How can this not be on someone’s radar within ATT? I guess until they start loosing more market share they won’t pay attention. My last service with them is cellular and when that term is up (if I can stop my wife from upgrading her phone) I’m switching.

Very, very similar issue. We had U Verse, moved and the account had to be canceled and open a new account to move the service to the new house. We returned the equipment as required. After the year we decided to terminate and returned the equipment, as required.(Reason for return was false sales promises. When we complained to a service rep they said that the sales are contractors and not liable, legally factually incorrect). Early last year we started getting collections for BOTH sets of equipment. At all times we provided the shipping receipts, tracking, receipt confirmation, etc. The calls stop only to start again by another agency for the exact same issue. Who is his miracle Alex and how do I "PM" him? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I’ve flipped through the complaints and they are so numerous. Someone has to be monitoring this board and keeping metrics. How can this not be on someone’s radar within ATT? I guess until they start loosing more market share they won’t pay attention. My last service with them is cellular and when that term is up (if I can stop my wife from upgrading her phone) I’m switching.

[ Edited ]
10 of 20 (19,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2012 10:18:56 PM
(0)
Expert

Just click on his name below:

Alex

He is an employee who can access your account info privately, and get you forwarded on up the line.  Good luck.

tk1991 wrote:

Just click on his name below:

Alex

He is an employee who can access your account info privately, and get you forwarded on up the line.  Good luck.

tk1991 wrote:

11 of 20 (19,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2012 4:00:24 AM
(0)
Master

While it may seem like it's a rampant issue, the number of complaint on here represent a very small fraction of the customers AT&T has.  Do you still have the tracking numbers?  If so keep them.  Send the PM to Alex and someone from his team will be getting back to you on Tuesday.

While it may seem like it's a rampant issue, the number of complaint on here represent a very small fraction of the customers AT&T has.  Do you still have the tracking numbers?  If so keep them.  Send the PM to Alex and someone from his team will be getting back to you on Tuesday.

12 of 20 (19,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2012 5:09:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
How do I get in touch with someone higher up--I'm having similar issue and beyond frustrated with lack of help or support. Alex is no longer able to PM so sent message to customer care.
Thanks.
How do I get in touch with someone higher up--I'm having similar issue and beyond frustrated with lack of help or support. Alex is no longer able to PM so sent message to customer care.
Thanks.

13 of 20 (18,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2012 5:50:35 PM
(0)
Master

phickey009 wrote:
Thanks.

That's what you need to do.

phickey009 wrote:
Thanks.

That's what you need to do.

14 of 20 (18,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2012 12:19:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

I reached out to the ATT Customer service team on Twitter and was able to get in touch with Execative team member-- looks like this all will be solved. Thanks.

I reached out to the ATT Customer service team on Twitter and was able to get in touch with Execative team member-- looks like this all will be solved. Thanks.

15 of 20 (18,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 5:01:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks to this post everything should be getting settled.  I thought I would respond as this seems to get a lot of views and this hasn't been updated in a while.  After getting the run around by calling in and no one knew what they were doing, I got frustrated.  If only i just sent a message to customer service or made a complaint to the BBB right away I would of saved a lot of time. 

Two things you can do to get a response from AT&T from someone that knows what they are doing.

1.  Send a message from here to customer service and they will get you the the appropriate person.  You want to be talking with someone from the "presidents office."  Takes about a day or two for someone to reach out to you, but you want to talk to someone from there.

2.  File a complaint with the BBB and someone from the presidents office will be in contact with you.  That will take about 2-3 days.

I did both and two people called me from the "Presidents Office" who explained that they will get the mark taken off my credit report and also refund my money.

Thanks to this post everything should be getting settled.  I thought I would respond as this seems to get a lot of views and this hasn't been updated in a while.  After getting the run around by calling in and no one knew what they were doing, I got frustrated.  If only i just sent a message to customer service or made a complaint to the BBB right away I would of saved a lot of time. 

Two things you can do to get a response from AT&T from someone that knows what they are doing.

1.  Send a message from here to customer service and they will get you the the appropriate person.  You want to be talking with someone from the "presidents office."  Takes about a day or two for someone to reach out to you, but you want to talk to someone from there.

2.  File a complaint with the BBB and someone from the presidents office will be in contact with you.  That will take about 2-3 days.

I did both and two people called me from the "Presidents Office" who explained that they will get the mark taken off my credit report and also refund my money.

16 of 20 (13,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 7:11:58 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Jul 5, 2013 at 7:25:08 PM

@voldre08  

Thanks for posting your solution to help others. Smiley Happy  

Glad to hear you got the result you desired !

@voldre08  

Thanks for posting your solution to help others. Smiley Happy  

Glad to hear you got the result you desired !

[ Edited ]
17 of 20 (12,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 10:23:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
dear voldre08, may I know how to "Send a message from here to customer service " ?

Thank you very much
dear voldre08, may I know how to "Send a message from here to customer service " ?

Thank you very much

18 of 20 (8,916 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 11:13:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Here you go Liang Yang Lin

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM(Blue envelope top right of screen) between the hours of 7am-10pm CST Monday - Friday, should hear back within 2 to 3 business days.

Here you go Liang Yang Lin

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM(Blue envelope top right of screen) between the hours of 7am-10pm CST Monday - Friday, should hear back within 2 to 3 business days.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 20 (8,909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 12:55:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
very much appreciated, Jeffster_1.
very much appreciated, Jeffster_1.

20 of 20 (8,901 Views)