Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 23, 2013
8:02:07 AM
View profile
AT&T router with an iNid installation

Ok, I have what I think is a newbie question.  In my previous two installations I've been FTTP with an RG. In my house that I moved to last year I now have an iNid installation and nothing more than a router in the house.  My question is, do I need to use the AT&T router or can I purchase my own router and replace the AT&T one. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Ok, I have what I think is a newbie question.  In my previous two installations I've been FTTP with an RG. In my house that I moved to last year I now have an iNid installation and nothing more than a router in the house.  My question is, do I need to use the AT&T router or can I purchase my own router and replace the AT&T one. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

AT&T router with an iNid installation

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 9:58:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:59:06 AM

You mean you have the 38HG in your home?  It's not exactly a full layer 3 router, it's more like a layer 2 switch/WAP that does some layer 3 peeking (it handles IGMP v3 correctly, at least enough for U-verse IPTV).

I think the answer to your question is maybe.  Normally the i38HG speaks the HPNA protocol over whatever media its connected to the i3812 with.  There is another RJ45 jack on the i3812 that is a full Ethernet jack but comes from the factory disabled.  You'd have to use the 38HG to talk to the i3812 to enable the Ethernet jack before you could use it.  Once you did that, then you could hook your router to that Ethernet jack and disconnect the 38HG.

However, the i3812 is still providing most of the routing functionality you'd associate with the RG in a box in your home, so I'm not sure what you'd be accomplishing by doing this.

Want to tell us why you think you might want to do this?

You mean you have the 38HG in your home?  It's not exactly a full layer 3 router, it's more like a layer 2 switch/WAP that does some layer 3 peeking (it handles IGMP v3 correctly, at least enough for U-verse IPTV).

I think the answer to your question is maybe.  Normally the i38HG speaks the HPNA protocol over whatever media its connected to the i3812 with.  There is another RJ45 jack on the i3812 that is a full Ethernet jack but comes from the factory disabled.  You'd have to use the 38HG to talk to the i3812 to enable the Ethernet jack before you could use it.  Once you did that, then you could hook your router to that Ethernet jack and disconnect the 38HG.

However, the i3812 is still providing most of the routing functionality you'd associate with the RG in a box in your home, so I'm not sure what you'd be accomplishing by doing this.

Want to tell us why you think you might want to do this?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T router with an iNid installation

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 10:18:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm on my second one now and it acts like it's failing as well.  The past week or so I've only been getting about 2.5Mbps down wired or wireless.  I was thinking I could just get a linksys or netgear router, plug the cable going to the router and go from there. I have a powerline network now that is showing as the lowest signal possible coming right out of the router and while stable, it hasn't improved anything.  Currently running one ext. HDD, my slingbox and the powerline network off of it, wired and two roku's and an ipad running wireless.

I'm on my second one now and it acts like it's failing as well.  The past week or so I've only been getting about 2.5Mbps down wired or wireless.  I was thinking I could just get a linksys or netgear router, plug the cable going to the router and go from there. I have a powerline network now that is showing as the lowest signal possible coming right out of the router and while stable, it hasn't improved anything.  Currently running one ext. HDD, my slingbox and the powerline network off of it, wired and two roku's and an ipad running wireless.

3 of 10 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 10:32:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yeah, I'd get wireless router and connect it to the i3812 as an Access Point, and hook all your gear to that.

I'd still have them replace the 38HG, but have all your equipment on the other so you're no longer affected by its issues.  You still need a working 38HG in case your i3812 gets factory reset.  You can leave it turned off, or you can set it up as an alternate wireless access point.

Yeah, I'd get wireless router and connect it to the i3812 as an Access Point, and hook all your gear to that.

I'd still have them replace the 38HG, but have all your equipment on the other so you're no longer affected by its issues.  You still need a working 38HG in case your i3812 gets factory reset.  You can leave it turned off, or you can set it up as an alternate wireless access point.

4 of 10 (501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 8:49:58 PM
(0)

I would recommend enabling the outside ethernet port, connecting a 3rd-party router, and setting it to DMZ mode.

I would recommend enabling the outside ethernet port, connecting a 3rd-party router, and setting it to DMZ mode.

5 of 10 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 1:41:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

So, it's not my router that is the problem.  Last night internet went out, unplugging and plugging my router (which typically fixes the issue) didn't resolve. Then today I've had all services quit 3x.  Resetting the power supply in the garage has restored the service.  Called technical support, have a tech coming out Saturday between 8-12.  The tests techincal support ran on my lines failed so there definately won't be any charage for the trip. Hopefully Saturday afternoon I'll have full services restored and my internet speeds will go back to my normal 11.5 down and not the 2/2.5 I've been having.

So, it's not my router that is the problem.  Last night internet went out, unplugging and plugging my router (which typically fixes the issue) didn't resolve. Then today I've had all services quit 3x.  Resetting the power supply in the garage has restored the service.  Called technical support, have a tech coming out Saturday between 8-12.  The tests techincal support ran on my lines failed so there definately won't be any charage for the trip. Hopefully Saturday afternoon I'll have full services restored and my internet speeds will go back to my normal 11.5 down and not the 2/2.5 I've been having.

6 of 10 (420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 1:59:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Tell them they need to give you an NVG 589.  Smiley Wink

Tell them they need to give you an NVG 589.  Smiley Wink

7 of 10 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 2:01:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Will it work with an iNid installation?

Will it work with an iNid installation?

8 of 10 (406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 2:05:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yep.  Basically, the iNID becomes just a plain old NID and they run both pair into your house into the NVG 589.

Yep.  Basically, the iNID becomes just a plain old NID and they run both pair into your house into the NVG 589.

9 of 10 (402 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 2:38:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

hmmm, will have to ask the tech about it. I'll see if I can pry any info about stream boosts and internet speed boosts.

hmmm, will have to ask the tech about it. I'll see if I can pry any info about stream boosts and internet speed boosts.

10 of 10 (383 Views)