Helpful Links

AT&T owes balance, but always fails to send check

Contributor

AT&T owes balance, but always fails to send check

Short story:

AT&T owes me a balance of $168.31 (no longer an active customer), customer support agrees with me that this balanced is owed to me, but after many calls, false promises, and hours on the phone with customer support, a check is never actually sent.

Detailed story:

(Dates are written YYYY-MM-DD

some customer service calls are left out which I did not record in my notes)

2012-12-06 Canceled U-Verse internet as I was moving out of state from New Haven, CT
.  Asked if I was required to return my modem (figured I may use it in new apartment), I was told "no need to return, it is yours" by Joan, in Connected Community

Sometime towards the end of December or start of January, I received an e-mail with a UPS return slip to return my modem.  I called AT&T customer support again, and asked if I needed to return the modem, and was told "no".  I did not record the exact date of these events.

2013-03-16 My credit card was charged $168.31 for the modem I was told would not need to be returned.  I called AT&T customer support and they said, "yes, you need to return the modem".  I print the UPS slip and take the modem to UPS, and the return slip was invalid.  I was given a printout of a screenshot of the computer, which had a dialogue prompt that read (italic text):

Invalid devices found.  Please inform the customer:

"[Customer Name], I have scanned the equipment you are seeking to return and my system shows that the following items do not need to be returned to AT&T".

So according to the UPS system, the modem does not need to be returned.

2013-03-18 Called AT&T customer service , spoke to Joe Johnson  and was told I would be sent e-mailed a return slip by the end of the day.  I never received anything.

2013-03-23 Called AT&T Connected Community  and spoke to Brandy who said I would receive an updated return slip.  A return slip was never recieved

2013-04-08 Called AT&T Connected Community  and spoke to Lisa.  I was told she would e-mail me and send a physical return slip to make sure I received it.  She made a case, ****.  I never recieved either.

2013-04-(date not recorded) Called AT&T Connected Community spoke to a representitive who stayed on the phone with me until I received an e-mail return slip for USPS (not UPS).  Modem was sent out.

2013-04-(date not recorded) Called AT&T Connected Community was told my credit card would recieve credit for the modem.  No credit was ever applied.

2013-04-22 Called AT&T Connected Community (1-866-299-6824) and spoke to Julia.  She said a correction would be applied to the April 25th bill, and a check would be sent out, and that credit cannot be applied to the credit card.  I made sure she had my new mailing address.  I never recieved a check

2013-07-03 Called AT&T Connected Community and spoke with Michael , he said a check was never sent out, but he would make sure one gets sent after he can have it approved by his manager who was away until 2013-07-08, at which point it would take until 2013-07-13 to 2013-07-15 for a check to be issued.  I made sure he had my updated mailing address.

2013-07-18 Called Michael back  to check the status, and left a message on his voicemail.  I never received a call back

2013-07-22 Called AT&T Connected Community, and asked to speak to a manager.  Spoke to Kelly (not a manager, but somewhere between a customer service rep and manager) who said a check was issued on 2013-07-09, but sent to my old billing address (I have no way to verify whether a check was ever actually sent).  She changed updated my billing address and said a new check would be issued 2013-07-24 and take 7 - 14 business days to recieve.

2013-08-14 (15 business days after check should have been issued according to last call) Called AT&T Connected Community at ***, this phone number no longer works.  Called main customer support number, and was directed to call ***.  Spoke with Anita who said a check was issued on 2013-08-07, and I would receive it in 7 - 14 business days.  Someone closed case # ***, so a new case number was created, #***.

2013-08-27 (14 business days after check was issued according to last call) Called ***, did not make note of representative's name.  She said a check would have to be issued, and her manager would call me back.  I'm still waiting.

Who do I need to contact in order to make sure a check is actually issued?  I can never reach the same representative, and the representatives I do reach all appear to be helpful while on the phone but never follow through with what they say.  The $168.31 is not worth much to me, but the time I have wasted trying to resolve this issue is much more frustrating.  At this point it is a matter of principle, and unacceptable that AT&T has been so slow and unresponsive.  If roles were reversed, my account would have been sent to collections.

[edited for privacy - please do not post full names, employee id numbers, telephone numbers or extensions]

Message 1 of 5

Re: AT&T owes balance, but always fails to send check

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Thanks, I have sent them a message.

Message 3 of 5
Community Support

Hi whotookmycoat,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be looking into this and contacting you within 48 hours.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please send us a private message.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5

Wow. So like my thread, it seems AT&T on the phone will say anything to make you happy but consistently does not deliver on their promises. They ensure that receiving what was promised will be the biggest hassle in the world with no conceivable end, and that's why they are profitable-- people give up and give in and let them take their money. What a God-awful business practice. Some federal oversight would be nice. 

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support