Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 13, 2012
6:37:57 PM
View profile
AT&T left a big hole in my yard and won't come fix it

AT&T dug this hole over two weeks ago.  I've called 3 times and they won't come out to fix it.  I have no idea if they are ever coming out or if I am somehow lost in the system.  They destroyed my landscaping, are killing my tree and pile stuff in my neighbors yard.  UNACCEPTABLE.   Here is youtube clip. I hope someone at AT&T watches this and will actually help me.

http://youtu.be/OurFjfGo9dc

AT&T dug this hole over two weeks ago.  I've called 3 times and they won't come out to fix it.  I have no idea if they are ever coming out or if I am somehow lost in the system.  They destroyed my landscaping, are killing my tree and pile stuff in my neighbors yard.  UNACCEPTABLE.   Here is youtube clip. I hope someone at AT&T watches this and will actually help me.

AT&T left a big hole in my yard and won't come fix it

17 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2012 7:08:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have had one of those holes in my backyard which was dug for a splice pit.  As with burying a line, it typically takes up to 10 business days to be filled in.

You indicate that it has been longer than that, so I suggest that you send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.  Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

I have had one of those holes in my backyard which was dug for a splice pit.  As with burying a line, it typically takes up to 10 business days to be filled in.

You indicate that it has been longer than that, so I suggest that you send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.  Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T left a big hole in my yard and won't come fix it

2 of 18 (4,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 11:22:22 PM
(0)
Expert

Did they ever get the hole filled in?  Smiley Sad

kozmo62 wrote:

Did they ever get the hole filled in?  Smiley Sad

kozmo62 wrote:

3 of 18 (4,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2012 12:46:53 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you @texasguy37 and @spd2demun!

@kozmo62 - If you still need assistance, please send me a Private Message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Thank you @texasguy37 and @spd2demun!

@kozmo62 - If you still need assistance, please send me a Private Message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 18 (4,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2012 5:38:20 PM
(0)
Professor
It appears to me that the landscaping and tree is actually in the utility easement. As for getting the hole taking care of, yes it should have been done within ten days, but there could have been other items that became a priority that called the techs that take care of those items. Namely the fires flaring up all over the West, which means that a lot of infrastructure has been destroyed like telephone lines, etc..

So at this time, has the hole been taken care of, or still there with the orange fencing?

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
It appears to me that the landscaping and tree is actually in the utility easement. As for getting the hole taking care of, yes it should have been done within ten days, but there could have been other items that became a priority that called the techs that take care of those items. Namely the fires flaring up all over the West, which means that a lot of infrastructure has been destroyed like telephone lines, etc..

So at this time, has the hole been taken care of, or still there with the orange fencing?

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

5 of 18 (4,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2012 5:50:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:55:07 AM

I am going with Greg on this one.  It appears that this is a utility easement albeit in the front of the houses not the back.  The cables sticking out of the conduit in the video appear to one fiber and one copper.  I would bet this work has nothing to do with him getting Uverse connected to his house but in fact an infrastructure upgrade for the area.

AT&T would not run that type of cabling to one residence.  The delay is probably due to the splicers not being able to get there to do the actual work or they haven't been assigned the job yet.  I'm sure the hole and cabling was done by contractors and not AT&T techs.

When Uverse came to our area years ago, one of my neighbors had the same type arrangement in his back yard for about a month and a half.  Ended up to be just what TX Guy said......They installed a cable vault once the splicing was completed so they can access the area in the future without having to dig it up again to do any additional work.

When I bought my house this is the exact reason I asked if my yard had any easements and was told no it's in the neighbors yards behind me.  My Dad got stung once when they were running cabling in his neighborhood and he found he had the easement.  Had a shed on a cement slab and had to tear it down AND remove the concrete at his expence so they could dig thru and continue buring the cable.  Talk about unhappy!!  He tried to fight it with the City but lost and had to do it.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I am going with Greg on this one.  It appears that this is a utility easement albeit in the front of the houses not the back.  The cables sticking out of the conduit in the video appear to one fiber and one copper.  I would bet this work has nothing to do with him getting Uverse connected to his house but in fact an infrastructure upgrade for the area.

AT&T would not run that type of cabling to one residence.  The delay is probably due to the splicers not being able to get there to do the actual work or they haven't been assigned the job yet.  I'm sure the hole and cabling was done by contractors and not AT&T techs.

When Uverse came to our area years ago, one of my neighbors had the same type arrangement in his back yard for about a month and a half.  Ended up to be just what TX Guy said......They installed a cable vault once the splicing was completed so they can access the area in the future without having to dig it up again to do any additional work.

When I bought my house this is the exact reason I asked if my yard had any easements and was told no it's in the neighbors yards behind me.  My Dad got stung once when they were running cabling in his neighborhood and he found he had the easement.  Had a shed on a cement slab and had to tear it down AND remove the concrete at his expence so they could dig thru and continue buring the cable.  Talk about unhappy!!  He tried to fight it with the City but lost and had to do it.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 18 (4,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2012 6:25:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'd also suggest that the OP call his city/municipality. 

Since it appears that there's some exposed water utilities involved, they might have some concern in this matter and could intervene on the customers behalf.

I'd also suggest that the OP call his city/municipality. 

Since it appears that there's some exposed water utilities involved, they might have some concern in this matter and could intervene on the customers behalf.

7 of 18 (4,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2012 10:01:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm going to agree with the other posters, they would not have done all that for ONE customer.  There is more to that hole than a UVerse installation.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

I'm going to agree with the other posters, they would not have done all that for ONE customer.  There is more to that hole than a UVerse installation.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

8 of 18 (4,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2012 1:03:44 PM
(0)
Expert

Until the OP comes back and gives an update, we'll never know the outcome of the hole. Smiley Very Happy

Until the OP comes back and gives an update, we'll never know the outcome of the hole. Smiley Very Happy

9 of 18 (4,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2012 8:13:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

True, but there is NO WAY that is a UVerse install for one customer.  That's a utilities hole and he needs to call the city to come fix it.

True, but there is NO WAY that is a UVerse install for one customer.  That's a utilities hole and he needs to call the city to come fix it.

10 of 18 (4,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2012 8:22:27 PM
(0)
Expert

And make a retraction YouTube vid to exonerate the falsely-accused party. Smiley Wink

I love how people post vids and comments all over, but never come back to give an update or correct a post if they're wrong.

And make a retraction YouTube vid to exonerate the falsely-accused party. Smiley Wink

I love how people post vids and comments all over, but never come back to give an update or correct a post if they're wrong.

11 of 18 (4,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2012 3:11:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

Yup.  Bet the OP doesn't.

spd2demun wrote:

Yup.  Bet the OP doesn't.

12 of 18 (4,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2013 8:16:09 AM
(0)
Employee

This is old, but I was looking to see if anyone else had any info on it.  Same thing happened at my brother's place, and the reason it happened was to fix a U-verse issue he was having.  He and I are both computer geeks, so we were trying to speculate.  I will tell you, as far as size of anything or number of wires present, it's not open for debate.  We looked at it pretty close.

Here's what we saw:

Hole wasn't less than 3 feet deep, maybe approaching 4 feet deep.  At the bottom was a small "box", but really some kind of equipment apparently designed to connect two cables to whatever signal was being brought by a single cable.

Box it'self wasn't even 1ft x 1ft in size.  Street-side has a single black cable connected.  House-side has two more black cables connected.  Those two cables go left and right, left goes to the side of his neighbor's house, right goe's to my brother's house.

He was informed that because we'd had a drought (and this was the huge drought last year), the soil had settled on these things and damaged the connection points for the cables.  All clay at our subdivision, so a legitimate claim.

I'll add three more pieces of info:

1)  If you're going to bury copper to carry data or telephone calls, it can't get wet.  This stuff at distance glance looked like co-ax cable in your house connected to a cable box.  I never have gone up to the side of his house to inspect closely, but I have an example from my place (two streets over in same subdivision) that probably is helpful to satisfy curiosity.

Black cable coming up out of ground.  In the last inch before it connects to the MPOE at my place, you can see bare copper (which I guess, could be a cause for some kind of performace issue in the rain or whatever).  On my side of info, a little (and I mean you can largely close your hand around it) device that physically connects to the divider between AT&T's side and my side of the box.

Connected to that device is the co-ax cable that proceeds to the attrocious mess of cable splitting left-over from a Dish Network install years earlier.  Fortunately, my prem tech had the thought to go to the other side of that, locate the connection going to my router (tv receivers are wireless, except the one sitting next to the router), and connect that to the coax he installed from the litte doo-dad in the MPOE box.

Anyway, I've been having an issue with random bandwidth tanks that do not affect my television service, or cause me to drop connection in a game like world of warcracft.  They do cause issues with watching something like a YouTube video to the point that when it happens, you go "gah, I gotta get this fixed!"  That's why I had been outside messing with it.  

I'd already run through the "reset router" and "speed test" business with tech support, and when the problem came up again 15 minutes after the second time I'd called about it, and an hour after the first, I went to "time to rule out wiring in the house" and am doing the CAT-5 run just to the router (I'm not going to re-wire my whole house in the face of what looks like near-future availability of wireless high speed internet to my home).

To me, unless I'm wrong about remembering seeing copper on the side of my place, this stuff was probably buried at time of sub-division construction. 

This is old, but I was looking to see if anyone else had any info on it.  Same thing happened at my brother's place, and the reason it happened was to fix a U-verse issue he was having.  He and I are both computer geeks, so we were trying to speculate.  I will tell you, as far as size of anything or number of wires present, it's not open for debate.  We looked at it pretty close.

Here's what we saw:

Hole wasn't less than 3 feet deep, maybe approaching 4 feet deep.  At the bottom was a small "box", but really some kind of equipment apparently designed to connect two cables to whatever signal was being brought by a single cable.

Box it'self wasn't even 1ft x 1ft in size.  Street-side has a single black cable connected.  House-side has two more black cables connected.  Those two cables go left and right, left goes to the side of his neighbor's house, right goe's to my brother's house.

He was informed that because we'd had a drought (and this was the huge drought last year), the soil had settled on these things and damaged the connection points for the cables.  All clay at our subdivision, so a legitimate claim.

I'll add three more pieces of info:

1)  If you're going to bury copper to carry data or telephone calls, it can't get wet.  This stuff at distance glance looked like co-ax cable in your house connected to a cable box.  I never have gone up to the side of his house to inspect closely, but I have an example from my place (two streets over in same subdivision) that probably is helpful to satisfy curiosity.

Black cable coming up out of ground.  In the last inch before it connects to the MPOE at my place, you can see bare copper (which I guess, could be a cause for some kind of performace issue in the rain or whatever).  On my side of info, a little (and I mean you can largely close your hand around it) device that physically connects to the divider between AT&T's side and my side of the box.

Connected to that device is the co-ax cable that proceeds to the attrocious mess of cable splitting left-over from a Dish Network install years earlier.  Fortunately, my prem tech had the thought to go to the other side of that, locate the connection going to my router (tv receivers are wireless, except the one sitting next to the router), and connect that to the coax he installed from the litte doo-dad in the MPOE box.

Anyway, I've been having an issue with random bandwidth tanks that do not affect my television service, or cause me to drop connection in a game like world of warcracft.  They do cause issues with watching something like a YouTube video to the point that when it happens, you go "gah, I gotta get this fixed!"  That's why I had been outside messing with it.  

I'd already run through the "reset router" and "speed test" business with tech support, and when the problem came up again 15 minutes after the second time I'd called about it, and an hour after the first, I went to "time to rule out wiring in the house" and am doing the CAT-5 run just to the router (I'm not going to re-wire my whole house in the face of what looks like near-future availability of wireless high speed internet to my home).

To me, unless I'm wrong about remembering seeing copper on the side of my place, this stuff was probably buried at time of sub-division construction. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 18 (3,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 8:43:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Apparently, their customer service has gotten no better.   Weeks ago, they left a big hole in my yard with a lot of cables exposed.  In addition, they left my fence broken.  I've left numerous messages, with several different people and departments, but not one of them will return a call. 

Apparently, their customer service has gotten no better.   Weeks ago, they left a big hole in my yard with a lot of cables exposed.  In addition, they left my fence broken.  I've left numerous messages, with several different people and departments, but not one of them will return a call. 

14 of 18 (3,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 10:16:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. 

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. 

15 of 18 (3,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 12:00:21 PM
(0)
Employee
There i s apparently a utilities easement in your yard and work is being done, the easements allows for removal of items that impedes work such as fences, landscaping, etc.
Once the work is completed (possible a pedestal being installed to provide service) depending on easement and local laws the fence may be reinstalled or that might be your responsibility. If desire is not to happen again move in the fence into the non easement area could be 5-6 feet up to 25 feet depending on adjourned property sharing the easement. If two parcels (back-back) might have 10 easement 5 feet on either side of property line, if the property borders a road the entire easement is on the one side.
Again as hole is open with cabling visible this could be cable vault or pedestal or splice pit, have to wait for work to be completed before issue with fence can be addressed.
There i s apparently a utilities easement in your yard and work is being done, the easements allows for removal of items that impedes work such as fences, landscaping, etc.
Once the work is completed (possible a pedestal being installed to provide service) depending on easement and local laws the fence may be reinstalled or that might be your responsibility. If desire is not to happen again move in the fence into the non easement area could be 5-6 feet up to 25 feet depending on adjourned property sharing the easement. If two parcels (back-back) might have 10 easement 5 feet on either side of property line, if the property borders a road the entire easement is on the one side.
Again as hole is open with cabling visible this could be cable vault or pedestal or splice pit, have to wait for work to be completed before issue with fence can be addressed.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 18 (3,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 11:44:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Was this ever resolved for you? I have the same issue now in a community I manage.

Was this ever resolved for you? I have the same issue now in a community I manage.

17 of 18 (2,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 8:20:22 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, 325 Country Club Dr!

I'm so sorry to hear that you still have a hole in your community. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

Please include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so please keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, 325 Country Club Dr!

I'm so sorry to hear that you still have a hole in your community. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

Please include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so please keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

18 of 18 (2,512 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments