Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 7, 2012
12:28:34 PM
View profile
AT&T customer service and billing department have risen to the level of their incompetence.

AT&T has the worst customer service I have ever seen. Over eight months and constant calls and they still can't get it right. They have tagged our account as a "credit risk" due to their errors in billing (which they acknowledge) and they cannot get their computer system to clear the error or override their screw up.

The age of SKY-NET (The Terminator) is here. AT&T, and their customers, are at the mercy of their computer system. Either they are incompetent or they are liars. If anyone is thinking about U-verse, do not believe anything they say. Record the conversation. Get the name and ID of the person you talk to and write copious notes and dates of every conversation.

It still will not make a difference because they are so big that losing a few customers means nothing to them. It must cost more to fix their own system of errors than the loss of reputation and customers who throw in the towel and quit AT&T.

AT&T has the worst customer service I have ever seen. Over eight months and constant calls and they still can't get it right. They have tagged our account as a "credit risk" due to their errors in billing (which they acknowledge) and they cannot get their computer system to clear the error or override their screw up.

The age of SKY-NET (The Terminator) is here. AT&T, and their customers, are at the mercy of their computer system. Either they are incompetent or they are liars. If anyone is thinking about U-verse, do not believe anything they say. Record the conversation. Get the name and ID of the person you talk to and write copious notes and dates of every conversation.

It still will not make a difference because they are so big that losing a few customers means nothing to them. It must cost more to fix their own system of errors than the loss of reputation and customers who throw in the towel and quit AT&T.

AT&T customer service and billing department have risen to the level of their incompetence.

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 3:44:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Send Alex a PM and let him know what is going on with your account. He is an ATT Community Manager on the forum. http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276
Send Alex a PM and let him know what is going on with your account. He is an ATT Community Manager on the forum. http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T customer service and billing department have risen to the level of their incompetence.

2 of 13 (7,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 8:11:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Here is our story of AT&T incompetence:

Our family owns a summer home on Lake Huron in Michigan. We use the place on weekends, 6-7 months out of the year and then close it up for the winter. Last summer we decided to set up internet service. After looking at a number of providers in the area I settled on AT&T based on the pricing, speed and the ability to suspend the account during the months we are not using the service.

The sales person told me a "bundled" service of phone and u-verse 12 Mbps internet service would cost around $35.00 per month. $24.95 for the internet and around $10.00 for the phone and fees. He also told me it would not be a problem to place the service on "vacation" for the 5-6 months we were not using the services. It sounded too good to be true but I was assured that was the price and terms. All went well for the first month. I received the equipment and set it up and within a few weeks we were enjoying the internet service even though it was slower than advertised. The service was placed in the name of my sister-in-law, who handles all the payments and expenses for the cottage. The billing was to be sent to her home address. She requires a paper bill for all expenses.

The problems started shortly after the first billing cycle. The phone bill was mailed to the Lake Huron address rather than the home address requested. The problem is we do not have a mail box at the cottage. Our first clue there was a problem were repeated phone messages on the cottage phone to call the billing department. We called and were told there was a past due amount and to pay the cost immediately with a credit card or the service would be cut off. I was finally able to get someone to get the billing to the proper address straightened out, or so I thought. The amount was consistent with what we were told when I set up the service. It turns out the calls were for the phone line and not the internet service. We have still never received a paper bill for the u-verse internet service.

The next time we visited the cottage we discovered the internet service was down. I called the service department and was told it had been shut off due to non payment. After speaking to a number of AT&T reps I was told the pricing I was quoted was wrong, that no such pricing existed at AT&T. I can only assume the AT&T sales person lied to get me to sign up. Furthermore they showed the u-verse internet account as paperless billing to an email account we rarely use. After some negotiations with the reps and assurance the billing would be straightened out and mailed along with the phone bill I paid the outstanding balance with my credit card. Two more months of interruptions and repeated calls to AT&T customer service failed to get proper billing even though AT&T records show the account is to be invoiced by mail to the home address. It has NEVER happened. When we closed the cottage in November we called AT&T customer service to place the services in vacation mode. Every AT&T rep we have spoken with have all acknowledged that suspending the internet service could be done. We were told it would cost $5.00 per month. It was not a problem to get the phone line done over the phone but we were told to suspend the internet service online at ATT.com. We did what we thought was correct to suspend the u-verse account online.

Again a major fail by AT&T. We tried to start up the service this spring. The phone was no problem. The u-verse internet is another matter. First we were told there was a "bounced check". We never bounce a check. But we checked the bank records anyway. No bounced check. We paid $100.00 with a credit card as directed as a good faith measure to get the account restored. It did not happen. Upon arrival at the cottage this last weekend there were repeated urgent messages from AT&T to call the billing department. The internet was not working. I spoke with two customer service reps last weekend and the final straw was being informed that the internet account was closed and we were being charged an early termination fee of $135. This is the first time anyone at AT&T has stated that the internet service cannot be suspended or placed in "vacation" mode. I was told when I signed up there was no contract period but we have already established that the sales people will say anything to get a new customer. I was also told in order to get internet service we would be required to open a new account with a credit card and automatic payments because we were a "credit risk".

AT&T has been provided with a home phone number as the number to call for any billing matters. AT&T has been repeatedly directed to send a paper invoice by mail to a permanent home address.  AT&T has been consistently negligent and incompetent concerning this account. They can't get the billing correct. The customer service and billing departments seem to have incorrect information. Even when the reps I speak with acknowledge the fault is all AT&T's they cannot over ride the "credit risk" status of the account. My sister in law owns two homes and a sailboat. She has an outstanding reputation and her credit rating is very important to her. If AT&T cannot get this fixed she will be contacting her attorney to pursue damages from AT&T. For my part, I will post links to the poor customer service reports in the forum on my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I will do this daily until someone at AT&T takes notice. 

The age of SKYNET (The Terminator) is here. Humans no longer control computers. We are insignificant problems to be ignored and cast aside. AT&T has risen to the level of their incompetence. It is a wonder they stay in business.

Here is our story of AT&T incompetence:

Our family owns a summer home on Lake Huron in Michigan. We use the place on weekends, 6-7 months out of the year and then close it up for the winter. Last summer we decided to set up internet service. After looking at a number of providers in the area I settled on AT&T based on the pricing, speed and the ability to suspend the account during the months we are not using the service.

The sales person told me a "bundled" service of phone and u-verse 12 Mbps internet service would cost around $35.00 per month. $24.95 for the internet and around $10.00 for the phone and fees. He also told me it would not be a problem to place the service on "vacation" for the 5-6 months we were not using the services. It sounded too good to be true but I was assured that was the price and terms. All went well for the first month. I received the equipment and set it up and within a few weeks we were enjoying the internet service even though it was slower than advertised. The service was placed in the name of my sister-in-law, who handles all the payments and expenses for the cottage. The billing was to be sent to her home address. She requires a paper bill for all expenses.

The problems started shortly after the first billing cycle. The phone bill was mailed to the Lake Huron address rather than the home address requested. The problem is we do not have a mail box at the cottage. Our first clue there was a problem were repeated phone messages on the cottage phone to call the billing department. We called and were told there was a past due amount and to pay the cost immediately with a credit card or the service would be cut off. I was finally able to get someone to get the billing to the proper address straightened out, or so I thought. The amount was consistent with what we were told when I set up the service. It turns out the calls were for the phone line and not the internet service. We have still never received a paper bill for the u-verse internet service.

The next time we visited the cottage we discovered the internet service was down. I called the service department and was told it had been shut off due to non payment. After speaking to a number of AT&T reps I was told the pricing I was quoted was wrong, that no such pricing existed at AT&T. I can only assume the AT&T sales person lied to get me to sign up. Furthermore they showed the u-verse internet account as paperless billing to an email account we rarely use. After some negotiations with the reps and assurance the billing would be straightened out and mailed along with the phone bill I paid the outstanding balance with my credit card. Two more months of interruptions and repeated calls to AT&T customer service failed to get proper billing even though AT&T records show the account is to be invoiced by mail to the home address. It has NEVER happened. When we closed the cottage in November we called AT&T customer service to place the services in vacation mode. Every AT&T rep we have spoken with have all acknowledged that suspending the internet service could be done. We were told it would cost $5.00 per month. It was not a problem to get the phone line done over the phone but we were told to suspend the internet service online at ATT.com. We did what we thought was correct to suspend the u-verse account online.

Again a major fail by AT&T. We tried to start up the service this spring. The phone was no problem. The u-verse internet is another matter. First we were told there was a "bounced check". We never bounce a check. But we checked the bank records anyway. No bounced check. We paid $100.00 with a credit card as directed as a good faith measure to get the account restored. It did not happen. Upon arrival at the cottage this last weekend there were repeated urgent messages from AT&T to call the billing department. The internet was not working. I spoke with two customer service reps last weekend and the final straw was being informed that the internet account was closed and we were being charged an early termination fee of $135. This is the first time anyone at AT&T has stated that the internet service cannot be suspended or placed in "vacation" mode. I was told when I signed up there was no contract period but we have already established that the sales people will say anything to get a new customer. I was also told in order to get internet service we would be required to open a new account with a credit card and automatic payments because we were a "credit risk".

AT&T has been provided with a home phone number as the number to call for any billing matters. AT&T has been repeatedly directed to send a paper invoice by mail to a permanent home address.  AT&T has been consistently negligent and incompetent concerning this account. They can't get the billing correct. The customer service and billing departments seem to have incorrect information. Even when the reps I speak with acknowledge the fault is all AT&T's they cannot over ride the "credit risk" status of the account. My sister in law owns two homes and a sailboat. She has an outstanding reputation and her credit rating is very important to her. If AT&T cannot get this fixed she will be contacting her attorney to pursue damages from AT&T. For my part, I will post links to the poor customer service reports in the forum on my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I will do this daily until someone at AT&T takes notice. 

The age of SKYNET (The Terminator) is here. Humans no longer control computers. We are insignificant problems to be ignored and cast aside. AT&T has risen to the level of their incompetence. It is a wonder they stay in business.

AT&T incompetent at best, or liars and thieves

3 of 13 (7,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 8:28:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time with your U-Verse billing. I've responded to your PM to Alex and escalated your concerns to our team. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time with your U-Verse billing. I've responded to your PM to Alex and escalated your concerns to our team. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: AT&T incompetent at best, or liars and thieves

4 of 13 (7,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 12:13:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

The latest example of ongoing AT&Tincompetence:

A case worker called me on Monday, 4/16/2012. She did not have much information regarding the history of the account and had the same response of everyone else at ATT:

A credit card and authorization for automatic payments from the credit card would be required due to the ATT credit department classification of this account.

I tried to explain that her solution was no solution at all and the the credit department "classification" is the problem. She seems unable to rectify the situation but promised to contact supervisors and call back the next day. It is now Friday, 4/20/2012 and I have not received a return call from her. It looks like another weekend I will not be able to use my cottage due to disconnected internet. My business requires I have 24hr. access to the internet.

Just so you know where this may be headed, the rental value of our 3200 sq, ft. lake front cottage is $1200. per week and $650. per weekend. I am losing the enjoyment of our summer place because I have to stay at my home to maintain connection to the internet. I am just one of five professionals in my family who rely extensively on the internet.

Does ATT think by ignoring me I am going away? If I failed to make a promised return a call to a client I would lose my job instantly.

It looks like I may have to go back to the Facebook/Twitter option to get some attention.

The latest example of ongoing AT&Tincompetence:

A case worker called me on Monday, 4/16/2012. She did not have much information regarding the history of the account and had the same response of everyone else at ATT:

A credit card and authorization for automatic payments from the credit card would be required due to the ATT credit department classification of this account.

I tried to explain that her solution was no solution at all and the the credit department "classification" is the problem. She seems unable to rectify the situation but promised to contact supervisors and call back the next day. It is now Friday, 4/20/2012 and I have not received a return call from her. It looks like another weekend I will not be able to use my cottage due to disconnected internet. My business requires I have 24hr. access to the internet.

Just so you know where this may be headed, the rental value of our 3200 sq, ft. lake front cottage is $1200. per week and $650. per weekend. I am losing the enjoyment of our summer place because I have to stay at my home to maintain connection to the internet. I am just one of five professionals in my family who rely extensively on the internet.

Does ATT think by ignoring me I am going away? If I failed to make a promised return a call to a client I would lose my job instantly.

It looks like I may have to go back to the Facebook/Twitter option to get some attention.

5 of 13 (7,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 12:29:12 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you feel as if you're being ignored. 

I see by your case notes that Chris responded to your email about 30 minutes after it was received letting you know the status. 

Did you not receive his email?

--------------

I'm sorry you feel as if you're being ignored. 

I see by your case notes that Chris responded to your email about 30 minutes after it was received letting you know the status. 

Did you not receive his email?

--------------

6 of 13 (7,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 1:17:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes I did. It would have been nice to get some response earlier in the week so there could be a resolution. As it is, I will be staying home this weekend while my family goes to the cottage. I am not a happy camper.

Yes I did. It would have been nice to get some response earlier in the week so there could be a resolution. As it is, I will be staying home this weekend while my family goes to the cottage. I am not a happy camper.

7 of 13 (7,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 1:26:29 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry, I know this is really frustrating.

Both Alex and I will keep an eye on your case but please don't hesitate to send either of us a PM if things aren't moving along. 

--------------

I'm sorry, I know this is really frustrating.

Both Alex and I will keep an eye on your case but please don't hesitate to send either of us a PM if things aren't moving along. 

--------------

8 of 13 (7,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 6:08:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

UNBELIEVABLE!!

I just got an email from AT&T confirming a Profile Update, "Changed Billing Address" for the U-verse account AT&T has closed. I STUPIDLY thought maybe they got it right and reactivated the account. No such luck. After another wasted hour on the phone, no one can pull up the account either for the U-verse or the phone which should still be on. Please stop the insanity.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

I just got an email from AT&T confirming a Profile Update, "Changed Billing Address" for the U-verse account AT&T has closed. I STUPIDLY thought maybe they got it right and reactivated the account. No such luck. After another wasted hour on the phone, no one can pull up the account either for the U-verse or the phone which should still be on. Please stop the insanity.

9 of 13 (7,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2012 7:22:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Dantal626 wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE!!

Send Alex a PM he is an ATT Community Manager who can get you to the right person/dept. to get your issue resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Dantal626 wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE!!

Send Alex a PM he is an ATT Community Manager who can get you to the right person/dept. to get your issue resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 13 (7,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2012 8:17:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
I know where you are coming from. My account is in danger of being shut off because of their mistake. Every month since I've had my service my bill has been incorrect for both phone and internet services and every month I've had to call in to have it corrected. Now their mistake may cause my phone to be disconnected. I'm more than fed up with att.
I know where you are coming from. My account is in danger of being shut off because of their mistake. Every month since I've had my service my bill has been incorrect for both phone and internet services and every month I've had to call in to have it corrected. Now their mistake may cause my phone to be disconnected. I'm more than fed up with att.

Re: AT&T customer service and billing department have risen to the level of their incompetence.

11 of 13 (6,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2012 9:39:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can send Alex a PM also.

You can send Alex a PM also.

12 of 13 (6,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 9:59:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Keep their number in your speed dial, it has been almost 3 years for me of calling in every month because my bill is wrong!

Keep their number in your speed dial, it has been almost 3 years for me of calling in every month because my bill is wrong!

13 of 13 (1,837 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments