AT&T broke my U-Verse connection

AT&T broke my U-Verse connection

I chatted with a support person at AT&T named Umesh today to complain about the fact that for the past year I have been paying for 12 Mbps and only getting 8 Mbps.

Umesh said that there was a problem with my line and scheduled a support technician to come out. After the support chat was over my U-Verse modem stopped being able to connect to the internet.

I spent several hours troubleshooting the problem. Finally, I connected the U-Verse modem to the test port in the grey box oustide. The modem was able to connect.

I brought the modem back inside and disconnected all of the phone line extensions from the grey box except for one. The U-Verse modem was able to connect via the single phone line extension.

I tried to reconnect the phone line extensions. Every time I connected more than one extension to the grey box, the U-Verse modem was unable to connect.

The only explanation is that AT&T turned down the TX power from the phone switch to the modem so that it could no longer connect.

I contacted AT&T support and asked them to restore the TX power to the original setting. They claimed they could not do this. They tried several times to get me to agree to let a technician come to my house.

All the technician will do is call AT&T and tell them to turn up the TX power at the switch. However, they will also charge me $99 for the technician visit.

This is extortion. AT&T is blackmailing me.

Yesterday I had AT&T internet and 5 phone extensions.

Today I barely have AT&T internet and I have only one phone extension.

How do I get AT&T to fix my U-Verse connection without charging me $99?

Message 1 of 9 (654 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T broke my U-Verse connection

Contact ATT Uverse Care here:
https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/2365485

Send them a private message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service problems. Response can take up to 2 business days.

This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done. I personally know as they've helped me on a DVR swap.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (641 Views)
Employee

The quote is standard process, if issue outside up to and include nid, no charge. If issue inside billable.
Which RG do you have, if vdsl unit ideally should be dedicated cat5 or cat3 line, not going to another jack.
Vdsl RGs single pair install (able to connect at NID) are 3600, 3800, 3801, 5031, 589.

If adsl2+ RG may have multiple jacks connected, still recommend single line if possible.

Profile change should show onypur RG page, max download, and current sync.
If you know unit works direct connected, that iss the way to go....
To my knowledge there is no increase or decrease TX power, but if profile was changed (increased)
Your RG is experiencing trouble holding sync due to loop length and noise margin (inside bridge tap)
Solution without tech visit is to lower profile.
Example if internet only or internet voip vdsl 12 M HSIA profile was probably 13M.
If during chat, profile moved to 25M allowing support of 18M internet speed, profile doubled but line cannot support.
Hope this is followable, remove bridge tap (extra jack extensions), run dedicated home run, or request profile lowered.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9 (639 Views)

[ Edited ]

my thoughts wrote:
The quote is standard process, if issue outside up to and include nid, no charge. If issue inside billable.
Which RG do you have, if vdsl unit ideally should be dedicated cat5 or cat3 line, not going to another jack.
Vdsl RGs single pair install (able to connect at NID) are 3600, 3800, 3801, 5031, 589.

If adsl2+ RG may have multiple jacks connected, still recommend single line if possible.

Profile change should show onypur RG page, max download, and current sync.
If you know unit works direct connected, that iss the way to go....
To my knowledge there is no increase or decrease TX power, but if profile was changed (increased)
Your RG is experiencing trouble holding sync due to loop length and noise margin (inside bridge tap)
Solution without tech visit is to lower profile.
Example if internet only or internet voip vdsl 12 M HSIA profile was probably 13M.
If during chat, profile moved to 25M allowing support of 18M internet speed, profile doubled but line cannot support.
Hope this is followable, remove bridge tap (extra jack extensions), run dedicated home run, or request profile lowered.

I have a 3600HGV.

Your answer is very useful.

It appears that AT&T increased my "profile" to support 12 Mbps. They must have lowered it during installation due to problems they noticed with my house wiring. That explains why I have been getting a solid 8 Mbps for the past year. They lowered the rate to make the link budget.

However, at no time did they tell me that I needed a dedicated line for the U-Verse modem. During sales they told me I would get 12 Mbps. There was no mention that my house wiring might prevent me from getting the full speed.

During installation they miraculously noticed a problem with my house wiring. I did not take their claim seriously because the phone signal has always been very clean.

So it appears that during my online chat they modified the "profile" to support 12 Mbps without telling me that I would be without internet until the technician arrived. The only thing the technician could do would be verify that my house wiring has some problem. There is no way for him to fix it because none of the wiring is accessible (it's all in the walls). So he would charge me $99 and call someone and tell them to change my "profile" back to 8 Mbps.

What kills me is that if AT&T had come clean and said there is no way for me to get 12 Mbps, I could have accepted that. But they kept telling me that they had to send out a technician.

I am afraid to let a technician come to my house. When they first installed U-Verse, the technician turned off my POTS line, which I needed for work at the time. My sister-in-law had a technician at her house and they stole some equipment that I loaned her.

Anyway, thank you for the informative post. That explains a lot. Now I know that I need Charter if I want to keep my phone line extensions.

Message 4 of 9 (621 Views)

So my house wiring will not support 12 Mbps U-Verse.

All of the current wiring is inside the walls.

I probably need a dedicated line for the U-Verse modem.

Can anyone recommend a good phone line expert who can help me rewire my house?

Message 5 of 9 (614 Views)
Employee

If no desire for a uverse visit based kn past experience but desire to keep uverse internet and get closer to real results.
Change internet package to Elite (6 M), save $5 per month, have profile lowered to 13M (previous), no tech visit required.
A tech could try to change your pair using existing wiring....normal phone pair red/green if quad or blue/blue white if cat3
Tech could use second pair in wire cable, yellow/black if quad or orange pair if cat3.
May need to remove several wallplates to make connections but would allow for direct connect NID to RG without new wiring.
This is still that billable $99 charge if uverse tech does, else check for local electrician or alarm installer.
I would expect professional installer would be similar priced, handyman may be less.
In all cases inviting a stranger into your home, feel comfortable or ask them to leave.
Best to you in your decision.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9 (577 Views)
Scholar

Here's a suggestion:

Have them keep coming to your house to fix the outside lines too.  They broke your connection when it was still working.  This is your chance to have them fix all the lines up to your home and put a splitter on your outside wiring.  You'll need to let them follow their scripts.  Unfortunately, it may take a long time, shorter, if you do it right.  They migh put a new splitter at the box to your house.  There may be noise on the outside line, and they can replace that too.  It'll eventually get you a cleaner signal to get a better speed, without the need to fix your inside line.  I had this happen when a switch/router broke at their C.O.

I had no issues with my connection for quite some time.  I understood that there will be line noise that reduces your actual speed.  I was satisfied with the 6 MB line (the max available to me) that was probably getting 5 MBs/download on speed test sites, which was fine for me since I'm quite far from the C.O.

But now, I've had a problem for over a month with a switch at a C.O.  It died and they replaced it with a new, but most likely, misconfigured switch. I've told them this from the very beginning, since I started  losing my connection on a frequent and nearly regular basis.  They kept sending a line tech out to fix my line, not really the issue, but my line is much cleaner now that I now have the 12 MB tier available to me if I chose to upgrade.  I was told the line could support 20 MB, so I also have Uverse voice available if I so choose.  It's too slow for the 24 MB tier  My twice daily outages have also reduced down to once every 10 days.  Unfortunately, they wouldn't fix my real problem, until I finally called up and ask for "complaints" in their phone menu.  I got a manager that finally put me into tier 3 to attempt to fix the real problem at the newly replaced switch.  I'll have to see if they can actually fix this or if I should really just switch providers.  I guess there was a silver lining in long ordeal in figuring out their broken process.

Call often enough and you become a "frequent caller" and I don't know if you get pushed ahead in the queue or get a better chance at getting credit.  Just remember, that each call to the 800 number will reset your ticket progress and they'll start the script over so that you can't escalate the issue.  They'll send a brand new line tech each time and they'll improve different portions of your line each time because they'll detect dropped packets or bad packets with their testers.  The line tech then gives you a piece of paper with their personal work cell phone number handwirtten on a form.  I thought I was helping them out by calling the 800 number, but AT&T wants the field techs to listen to possibly garbled, mumbled or unintelligable voicemail on a cell phone while trying to type the information on their touch screen ipad at another customer's site.  They also don't want their field techs to answer their phones while driving (illegal in several states), so they can only answer calls and review voicemails at a customer's site or pull off somewhere to do this, delaying their scheduled appointment somewhere else.  This seems really broken to me.  They wasted a lot of time and money worknig on something unrelated to the actual issue.  They almost could have just spent that money pulling fiber to my home instead of dealing with trying to fix a 2nd rate ADSL2 line.

You should be able to call the 1800-ATT 2020 line to have the call center tech update the entries for those techs, but it doesn't work this way.  They make the field techs do the data entry on a very poor ergonomic platform.  Those iPads are great for looking up stuff, but not really ideal for entering data.  I guess they want OSHA problems in their future.

Message 7 of 9 (572 Views)

What I really need is for AT&T to change my profile back to 8Mbps.

8 is better than 6.

Message 8 of 9 (423 Views)
Scholar

Just barely. I get decent enough video with the 6 meg service. There aren't too many things that really need 20 or 30 Mbps yet. They're mainly used for faster downloads. Have they sent out a tech to check your lines? There seems to be a few things they can do to clean up the line noise on the lines coming to your house. That may be enough to bring you back up to the next tier.
Message 9 of 9 (353 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.