AT&T / Yahoo about to start requiring SSL connections for mail clients

Highlighted
ACE - Expert

AT&T / Yahoo about to start requiring SSL connections for mail clients

Note that AT&T / Yahoo intendes to require that your e-mail client (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird) use an SSL connection (vs. a non-secure connection) within the next 30 days.

Please review your settings and make sure they match the ones in this page:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573

Or, if you'd rather, AT&T has an automated tool to set up correctly, if your system meets certain criteria.  More info here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB407912

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 4 (620 Views)
Community Manager

Re: AT&T / Yahoo about to start requiring SSL connections for mail clients

Thank you for sharing JefferMC, that's good to know.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (569 Views)
Contributor

This is a bummer.  I have configured Thunderbird to use SSL on 465 and it works ok with one exception:It is apparent that SSL login authentication for outbound.att.net requires that your email address in the outgoing e-mail match the AT&T account login address (user@swbell.net for DSL accounts set up in the days when DSL was provided by SW Bell in Kansas City)

This is a problem when I try to send text messages to a users phone via the e-mail address for the cellular carrier.  In the case of Verizon wireless customers it is cell_number@vtext.com. In the case of AT&T wireless customers it is cell_number@txt.att.net. 

This still works from Thunderbird with SSL connection to outbound.att.net but forces me to change my e-mail address from my phone_number@vtext.com to my AT&T e-mail address. 

Why is this a problem you ask. Because I want the "from" address of the text message the recipient receives to be my_phone_number@vtext.com so that when they "reply" to the e-mail delivered as a text message to their phone, their reply is sent to my_phone_number@vtext.com so that I receive their reply as a text message to my phone and not as an e-mail to my AT&T(swbell) e-mail account. 

That worked perfectly when I was using smtp on port 25 to mail.swbell.net. It no longer works with SSL to outbound.att.net because my from address (my_phone_number@vtext.txt) does not match my DSL account login (user@swbell.net) required for the SSL connection to outbound.att.net

I'm confident that this is an attempt to make spam e-mails harder to send from AT&T email customers (whether from the customer or from a spam-bot infecting their computer). This does interfere with legitimate (and useful) e-mail addresses (e.g. phone_number@vtext.com) or your_name@your_work-email.com.

I tried setting my phone_number@vtext.com account to my_name@swbell.net with the return address specified as cell_number@vtext.com but that did not work as the "reply" from the recipient's cell phone went as e-mail to my_name@swbell.net.  

Sorry for being wordy but i'm just venting my frustration with this change. 

Message 3 of 4 (406 Views)
ACE - Expert

Does Thunderbird not allow you to set a "Reply To" address different from your "From" address?

If one is present in your SMTP headers, the mail client is supposed to use it instead of the "From" address to send replies to.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (389 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.