AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspots problem (U-verse customer)

Tutor

AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspots problem (U-verse customer)

[ Edited ]

I have a U-Verse account at home and all is fine for internet connection via my computer.

I have recently purchased an unlocked Motorola smartphone, which has wi-fi connectivity available.

I do not have any cellphone plan or any data plan on my smartphone.

The reason is that I do not make enough calls or need internet access a lot, so I cannot justify a cellphone/data plan at this time.

I found out that I can use the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots at well known locations, such as McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, etc., and my phone is set to automatically connect to any available AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot when one is detected by my phone.

I am intending to just get ad-hoc internet connection and to make and receive phone calls using a combination of Google Voice and Talkatone only when I can get to a free or charged Wi-Fi hotspot, when I am on the road.

I have used this setup successfully when I went to a hotel a couple of months back (the Wi-Fi in the hotel was free).

I am able to connect to the internet on my smartphone when I am at home and all is fine with that.

The problem I am having is when I go to such a free Wi-Fi location (I have tried several), I can see that a connection is being attempted and it also appears to be successful. But shortly afterwards (10-15 seconds), a message drops down from the top of my phone saying "Login failed" (even though no login info has been entered or supplied by me).

So, my question is: what possible cause is stopping my phone from connecting to the free Wi-Fi hotspots when I was able to connect before at the hotel I was at (and make phone calls from) and despite my trying several different public/free Wi-Fi hotspot locations? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(I was advised by an AT&T agent that I can access paid-for Wi-Fi hotspots by entered my U-Verse account and password details, but I have not been able tyo try this out as I have not visited any locations where they had a paid-for Wi-Fi hotspot service).

Message 1 of 9 (2,779 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T Wi-Fi Hotsposts problem (U-verse customer)

Sovostar - There has to be some differences in how these various scenarios work.

First - there are three or maybe four scenarios -
Att cell customer using an att hotspot
att internet customer using an att hotspot.
Using a non att spot
Using your home internet
Working back up - At home you know your password so you can set up an account in the phone to work automatically.

The non att hotspot must have a password that the location provides, so you must do a manual connection.

How does the att internet hotspot work. I imagined it to be manual - just like the non -att. The location provides the password & you need to find the connection & connect manually by entering the password.

Is the att cell customer scenario the same? Or, is it more automatic? Could it be that the cell method attempts and fails because you are not a cell customer.

You need to find the option in your phone to disable the auto connect & manually connect, as if you had an ipad or ipod.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (2,772 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying.

None of the wi-fi hotspot locations I have visited require a user name and/or pssword. They are all free access wi-fi locations.

I have since turned off the auto connect option in my wireless settings and tried to manually connect when I next went to a public wi-fi location.

When I did this, absolutely nothing happened.

All the hotspots I have visited (not sure about the hotel) were AT&T and all were free to use.

If connecting manually, I go to my settings from my main home screen, tap Wi-Fi option and I am shown the available wi-fi hotspots. The AT&T ones are always shown as "AT&T Wifi".

Upon selecting one of these (there are always at least 2), I am offered 2 choices - cancel or connect.

I choose connect and then wait. nothing happens. No messages on the screen, no progress info, etc.

When I have the auto-connect set on and go to the wi-fi settings, I have to turn off wif-fi and then turn it back on again to see what is happening.

My phone shows Connecting... selecting IP address....Connected. 10 seconds later, I get the "login failed' message.

I have no cell phone so I cannot comment on the cell customer questions you posed.

Message 3 of 9 (2,642 Views)
ACE - Expert

Do you have an att or apple store you could walk in on & pose the question??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9 (2,622 Views)
Tutor

I have both stores in my town. But why Apple?
Message 5 of 9 (2,618 Views)
ACE - Expert

Sovostar - Sorry, was not paying attention - thought you had an iphone.
Message 6 of 9 (2,577 Views)
ACE - Expert

Sovostar -
I ran across this link -check it out - http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=812&ct=9002662
Message 7 of 9 (2,523 Views)
Tutor

The link didn't have any info to help me, unfortunately.

Message 8 of 9 (2,344 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

This is one of the problems I have with ATT. What possible sense does it make to allow EVERYONE to access FREE ATT Wifi (including the competition) EXCEPT those with an ATT phone w/o an ATT contract?

There are so many things just like this with ATT...

Navigator? Inferior to google and VERY expensive!

Blockbuster? OUT OF BUSINESS!!! Yet still there and always trying to update!

Until ATT smartens up, there is but one solution I see, but I do not believe I am allowed to talk about it here. That is if I am even allowed to be this honest.

Message 9 of 9 (1,499 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.