Helpful Links

AT&T WAP does not see my Sony Bravia wireless adapter

AT&T WAP does not see my Sony Bravia wireless adapter

I have U-Verse wireless with the 3801HGV box used in conjunction with my Sony Bravia KDL-55EX640. We also have the 'standard' AT&T router and Wireless Access Point. The TV receives channels but will not connect to the internet (although it did previously). I've tried many ways to reconnect to the WAP without success.  Do you have any thoughts?  Thanks, Todd

Message 1 of 11
Highlighted

Re: AT&T WAP does not see my Sony Bravia wireless adapter

@tsandelier  wrote:

I have U-Verse wireless with the 3801HGV box used in conjunction with my Sony Bravia KDL-55EX640. We also have the 'standard' AT&T router and Wireless Access Point. The TV receives channels but will not connect to the internet (although it did previously). I've tried many ways to reconnect to the WAP without success.  Do you have any thoughts?  Thanks, Todd

Hey Todd,

Little confused here. You say you have a 3801HGV and a standard AT&T router?

What model is the "standard" AT&T router?

Is the "standard" AT&T router and the Wireless Access Point (WAP) you describe, two different devices and separate from the 3801?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert

tsandelier - I believe you would be connecting to the 3801 for internet access.

Check the label on the side of the 3801 for the SSID and wi-fi key.
Use the TV connection wizard menu to select the proper network (SSID) & enter the security number. It should connect
You can also use WPS & not worry about the codes. The problem is WPS is probably turned off in the 3801.
go to http://192.168.1.254/ & click wireless. Under wi-fi protected setup change from disable to enabled. Scroll down to bottom right to click save button.

Back up to the top & click push button to activate. quickly activate WPS in TV & the two should connect. The connection activity stays open only for a short time. If it does not work you will have to activate it a gain. When both devices are "activating" at the same time they will establish a permanent connection.

If the TV is close to the 3801 or theSTB is connected COAX, connect the TV via a cat5 cable to the 3801 or STB.

The WAP is used for wireless STBs and has nothing to do with internet connection.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11

Hello JS,

bad notes on my part - let's try that again - sorry.

I have the 3801HGV router and the WAP as separate devices. My Sony Bravia connected to the internet with its USB transmitter.  When I try to reconnect,  the TV can 'see' my computers (running Windows 7) on the home network but not access the computers or internet.

I hope that is clearer.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
Professor

Is your TV connected to the router or to the WAP? 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 5 of 11
ACE - Expert

tsandelier - Sorry, I see the activities in the manual, but they do not generate any suggestions. You should check with Sony, call & on-line. Google - there is a lot of stuff out there.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11
Employee

When you say WAP are you talking about the WAP for the uverse wireless boxes? its been a while since ive been out in the feild but i think those are designed to work with the set top boxes only and not any other devices, but im sure someone here can correct or confirm

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 11

My TV is connected to an AT&T Wireless receiver which in turn receives its signal from the AT&T supplied WAP.

Message 8 of 11

This really shouldn't be that difficult. My original setup went without a hitch or need for a magic wand. I haven't made changes to any hardware or settings. So, I hope there is a solution that I do not need to pay AT&T Tech Land extra to resolve.

Thanks to all who are helping.
Message 9 of 11

Thanks aviewer - I will try this tonight.
Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

tsandelier - RE: My TV is connected to an AT&T Wireless receiver which in turn receives its signal from the AT&T supplied WAP.

That is not a valid connection for internet access. If it once worked you were very lucky. The network connection on the RG is for connection to the RG, not to another device. Another device connected to the network connection does work when the STB os fed COAX. But, that is not officially supported, either.

Connect the TV network side to either internet wi-fi or cat5 to the RG.

The TV has two connections - Standard TV is connected HDMI or component cables to the wireless STB which is fed from the WAP.

The "smart" internet connection on the TV is either wired - network jack to RG or wireless, using the internet wi-fi. Not the WAP wireless.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support