Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 20, 2013
7:14:05 PM
View profile
AT&T Customer Service deplorable.

Me and my wife ordered Uverse TV and Internet close to two weeks ago. We spoke to a very nice gentleman named Alex in customer service who got us a great deal on the bundle. After completing the sign up process, Alex then set up the earliest installation date they had, which will be August 26th. We groaned a little at the 3 week wait. He sensed this I think and said "let me talk to a dispatch technician and see if I can get your installation date bumped up". COOL! He returned about a minute later with great news. He was able to get us in for that Friday (four days after we called to set up service) with a time window for installation between noon and four. He said a technician will call within 24 to 48 hours to confirm. We waited 48 hours and no call. We called customer service back and this is where it gets real ugly, real fast. I explained the situation to the CSR who was absolutely clueless of what was going on and her english was sub-par at best. After several mentions of vendor managers, engineers and emails, I was left with my head spinning after I hung up. I called back when the technician failed to show. Called customer service again, only to be poorly informed that the line running to my house needs to be updated to be compatible with my service and that the earliest time that an engineer (not a technician) could make it out was September 11th. Are you kidding me? She was not. I demanded to talk to a supervisor who's English was just as bad, who told me that my installation date was set for August 26th and didn't know why the CSR told me that. Now I'm scared. And I need some finality on this installation date. The supervisor put me on a call list when if someone cancels, they will call me and fit me in. I know better, but I said OK. And of course, no call, which I expected. My point is this, when you hire a call center firm overseas just to save money, your customer service is going to fail, hence, so will your company. There is just too much of a communication breakdown. And I think they know this, but I really think they don't care. They just sent jobs from the US to India to save money. I hope this is not prevalent business practice, because we the consumer can decide to go elsewhere. I am going to give AT&T a chance, but I will admit that I think its a big gamble. Its been a rough start so far and I haven't even been installed yet. If only I could get that Alex guy back on the line, I know things would go much smoother and I can rest easy knowing what my actual install date will be. Thanks.

Me and my wife ordered Uverse TV and Internet close to two weeks ago. We spoke to a very nice gentleman named Alex in customer service who got us a great deal on the bundle. After completing the sign up process, Alex then set up the earliest installation date they had, which will be August 26th. We groaned a little at the 3 week wait. He sensed this I think and said "let me talk to a dispatch technician and see if I can get your installation date bumped up". COOL! He returned about a minute later with great news. He was able to get us in for that Friday (four days after we called to set up service) with a time window for installation between noon and four. He said a technician will call within 24 to 48 hours to confirm. We waited 48 hours and no call. We called customer service back and this is where it gets real ugly, real fast. I explained the situation to the CSR who was absolutely clueless of what was going on and her english was sub-par at best. After several mentions of vendor managers, engineers and emails, I was left with my head spinning after I hung up. I called back when the technician failed to show. Called customer service again, only to be poorly informed that the line running to my house needs to be updated to be compatible with my service and that the earliest time that an engineer (not a technician) could make it out was September 11th. Are you kidding me? She was not. I demanded to talk to a supervisor who's English was just as bad, who told me that my installation date was set for August 26th and didn't know why the CSR told me that. Now I'm scared. And I need some finality on this installation date. The supervisor put me on a call list when if someone cancels, they will call me and fit me in. I know better, but I said OK. And of course, no call, which I expected. My point is this, when you hire a call center firm overseas just to save money, your customer service is going to fail, hence, so will your company. There is just too much of a communication breakdown. And I think they know this, but I really think they don't care. They just sent jobs from the US to India to save money. I hope this is not prevalent business practice, because we the consumer can decide to go elsewhere. I am going to give AT&T a chance, but I will admit that I think its a big gamble. Its been a rough start so far and I haven't even been installed yet. If only I could get that Alex guy back on the line, I know things would go much smoother and I can rest easy knowing what my actual install date will be. Thanks.

AT&T Customer Service deplorable.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 7:51:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T Customer Service deplorable.

2 of 6 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:59:10 PM
(0)
Employee
Your install based on post is Aug 26, the attempt to expedite the install was based upon a possible opening (cancel) and was told a confirmation would be necessary.
No confirmation, no installation, the current average installs are running 2-3 weeks, in new areas opening with limited new techs could be up to six weeks unless the company brings in techs outside the area.

There is no way to know condition of your lines to provide service till day of install. The tech will run tests to verify sync and if errors or problems are present.

There are many ATT call centers here in the US Eastern, Central and Pacific with later hours going off shore to Philippines.
There are a total of 27 ATT call centers in the US according to this article from early 2013
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2013/mar/13/call-center-rings-up-115-jobs-jumpatt-to-have-in/

Best if desire to stay in US is call earlier in day Monday to Saturday,

Based on your install, if tech states issue with outside lines ask for STAY and PLAY, tech continues installation while waiting for outside tech to resolve problem. Please recognize this can double your install time (add 3-4 hours depending on what you are getting)
I have had an internet only inid install take 7 hours waiting for service. If this is not accepting then tech will need to return job, outside tech will complete his work then your order goes back to dispatch for a new (different date) install appointment. Not saying this will happen but a heads up in case your asked to make the decision.
Your install based on post is Aug 26, the attempt to expedite the install was based upon a possible opening (cancel) and was told a confirmation would be necessary.
No confirmation, no installation, the current average installs are running 2-3 weeks, in new areas opening with limited new techs could be up to six weeks unless the company brings in techs outside the area.

There is no way to know condition of your lines to provide service till day of install. The tech will run tests to verify sync and if errors or problems are present.

There are many ATT call centers here in the US Eastern, Central and Pacific with later hours going off shore to Philippines.
There are a total of 27 ATT call centers in the US according to this article from early 2013
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2013/mar/13/call-center-rings-up-115-jobs-jumpatt-to-have-in/

Best if desire to stay in US is call earlier in day Monday to Saturday,

Based on your install, if tech states issue with outside lines ask for STAY and PLAY, tech continues installation while waiting for outside tech to resolve problem. Please recognize this can double your install time (add 3-4 hours depending on what you are getting)
I have had an internet only inid install take 7 hours waiting for service. If this is not accepting then tech will need to return job, outside tech will complete his work then your order goes back to dispatch for a new (different date) install appointment. Not saying this will happen but a heads up in case your asked to make the decision.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 3:40:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Aug 21, 2013 at 3:40:32 AM

@my thoughts.  I realize you are an AT&T tech, but when someone comes in here looking for help they don't want to hear that it takes X amount of time.  The OP was given a date when they signed up and were expecting it to happen on that date.  They were not even given the courtesy of a phone call saying that it would be delayed.  You should not have to call in after the tech has missed their appointment time only to find out that there are issues.  For new installs an outside tech is supposed to show up a couple of days before to ensure everything is ready for the inside tech.  If the outside tech realized that something wouldn't work, then someone from AT&T should have called the OP to let them know that there would be a delay so other arrangement can be made.  Some people can't just take off work at the drop of a hat.

@my thoughts.  I realize you are an AT&T tech, but when someone comes in here looking for help they don't want to hear that it takes X amount of time.  The OP was given a date when they signed up and were expecting it to happen on that date.  They were not even given the courtesy of a phone call saying that it would be delayed.  You should not have to call in after the tech has missed their appointment time only to find out that there are issues.  For new installs an outside tech is supposed to show up a couple of days before to ensure everything is ready for the inside tech.  If the outside tech realized that something wouldn't work, then someone from AT&T should have called the OP to let them know that there would be a delay so other arrangement can be made.  Some people can't just take off work at the drop of a hat.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 7:31:57 AM
(0)
Employee
My example is the same thinking when someone says contact contact customer care they helped me replace a dvr, the reference reinforces the statement by personal experience.

The OP did not have a confirmed moved up appointment, when contacting CS again did not get a confirmed moved up install date, so had no reason to expect such.

The OP second call after the NON CONFIRMED install date was missed resulted in learning his original confirmed install is still scheduled for Aug 26th.

Your info on how installs are supposed to happen shows dated knowledge. Since all districts (REGIONS) union contracts were expired in 2012 and new contracts have been negotiated and ratified. The premise tech (wire tech in SE....Bell South territory) are responsible for replacing the drop and NID work (previous outside tech job) there is NO outside tech dispatched before installation date. If on arrival an issue is discovered such as bridge tap on the line, an another dept must verify testing supports the need for an outside tech. The premise tech must then create the ticket and either do a STAY and PLAY or RETURN the job (no install that day).
My remarks tried to show respect for the OPs time by informing and reinforcing by example that the install might take longer than OP had set time aside for and if issues developed that the OP could not stay for, then to inform tech that they need to reschedule the appointment but outside ticket still would be created
(WARNING: EXAMPLE: in our area the outside tech is required to respond within 4 hours on a Stay and Play. If return job ticket goes into pool, once completed goes to dispatch for rescheduling.)

Like others, including yourself, i volunteer of my time & experience, and yes as a current ATT premise tech can offer insight and help that is unique but am willing to share
Those that post on this forum are sometimes just wanting to vent but many are looking for answers, and sometimes just need assistance in looking at their experience from a different perspective.
My example is the same thinking when someone says contact contact customer care they helped me replace a dvr, the reference reinforces the statement by personal experience.

The OP did not have a confirmed moved up appointment, when contacting CS again did not get a confirmed moved up install date, so had no reason to expect such.

The OP second call after the NON CONFIRMED install date was missed resulted in learning his original confirmed install is still scheduled for Aug 26th.

Your info on how installs are supposed to happen shows dated knowledge. Since all districts (REGIONS) union contracts were expired in 2012 and new contracts have been negotiated and ratified. The premise tech (wire tech in SE....Bell South territory) are responsible for replacing the drop and NID work (previous outside tech job) there is NO outside tech dispatched before installation date. If on arrival an issue is discovered such as bridge tap on the line, an another dept must verify testing supports the need for an outside tech. The premise tech must then create the ticket and either do a STAY and PLAY or RETURN the job (no install that day).
My remarks tried to show respect for the OPs time by informing and reinforcing by example that the install might take longer than OP had set time aside for and if issues developed that the OP could not stay for, then to inform tech that they need to reschedule the appointment but outside ticket still would be created
(WARNING: EXAMPLE: in our area the outside tech is required to respond within 4 hours on a Stay and Play. If return job ticket goes into pool, once completed goes to dispatch for rescheduling.)

Like others, including yourself, i volunteer of my time & experience, and yes as a current ATT premise tech can offer insight and help that is unique but am willing to share
Those that post on this forum are sometimes just wanting to vent but many are looking for answers, and sometimes just need assistance in looking at their experience from a different perspective.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (269 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 1:00:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you for the timely responses. Hope this installation goes smoothly. I will ask for the STAY and PLAY if needed.
Thank you for the timely responses. Hope this installation goes smoothly. I will ask for the STAY and PLAY if needed.

6 of 6 (251 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments