Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 24, 2013
7:08:57 PM
ACER Laptop shows "connected" to internet, but really isn't.

I just became a UVERSE customer.  When setting up the wireless connections from the router to my desktop and laptop, all went well.  I then attempted to set up my wife's ACER laptop (Windows XP) and after putting in the wireless network key the computer shows "connected" with an EXCELLENT strength rating.  However, when I try to surf the web or get email, all I get is "internet explorer cannot connect" messages.  What gives?  Two out of 3 computers working.  It worked fine with the DSL connection we had prior to this installation, but suddenly everything changes?  Is this a DNS issue?  I don't know how to troubleshoot this.  HELP!

I just became a UVERSE customer.  When setting up the wireless connections from the router to my desktop and laptop, all went well.  I then attempted to set up my wife's ACER laptop (Windows XP) and after putting in the wireless network key the computer shows "connected" with an EXCELLENT strength rating.  However, when I try to surf the web or get email, all I get is "internet explorer cannot connect" messages.  What gives?  Two out of 3 computers working.  It worked fine with the DSL connection we had prior to this installation, but suddenly everything changes?  Is this a DNS issue?  I don't know how to troubleshoot this.  HELP!

ACER Laptop shows "connected" to internet, but really isn't.

22 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 5:11:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would recommend that you remove/delete the exisiting wireless connection and then re-add it.  Instructions below:

http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=186

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I would recommend that you remove/delete the exisiting wireless connection and then re-add it.  Instructions below:

http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=186

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ACER Laptop shows "connected" to internet, but really isn't.

2 of 23 (1,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 8:18:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, but that was the first thing I did.  No dice.

Thanks, but that was the first thing I did.  No dice.

3 of 23 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 10:38:16 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi jimmaynard3,

I had a similar problem a long time ago where one device would just not connect. I ended up finding out that the default security of WPA/WPA2 that the U-verse router used was not compatible with my older device. I changed it to WEP and everything worked after that. Hopefully, that helps.

To change it to WEP:

1. Login to your router at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select the tab Settings
  3. Select the sub-tab LAN
  4. Select the sub-tab Wireless
  5. From there you may need to enter your system password found on the side of the U-verse router (different from the wireless network key)
  6. You will be able to change all your wireless settings including your Wireless Security Settings.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi jimmaynard3,

I had a similar problem a long time ago where one device would just not connect. I ended up finding out that the default security of WPA/WPA2 that the U-verse router used was not compatible with my older device. I changed it to WEP and everything worked after that. Hopefully, that helps.

To change it to WEP:

1. Login to your router at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select the tab Settings
  3. Select the sub-tab LAN
  4. Select the sub-tab Wireless
  5. From there you may need to enter your system password found on the side of the U-verse router (different from the wireless network key)
  6. You will be able to change all your wireless settings including your Wireless Security Settings.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 23 (1,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 10:41:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It could be a DNS issue, or it could be an IP Address issue.   If you open a command Prompt (DOS Window) and type the command:

IPCONFIG

and hit the Enter key to run it, it should return some information for you, including your computer's IP Address and DNS servers.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

It could be a DNS issue, or it could be an IP Address issue.   If you open a command Prompt (DOS Window) and type the command:

IPCONFIG

and hit the Enter key to run it, it should return some information for you, including your computer's IP Address and DNS servers.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 23 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 11:53:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

David,

Thanks.  I tried both WEP-Open and WEP-Shared.  Neither one works.  The message I get when I try to switch to them is: "n and n/b/g mode only support WPA2 and WPA/WPA2."

Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's just refusing to change to WEP.

Jim

David,

Thanks.  I tried both WEP-Open and WEP-Shared.  Neither one works.  The message I get when I try to switch to them is: "n and n/b/g mode only support WPA2 and WPA/WPA2."

Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's just refusing to change to WEP.

Jim

6 of 23 (1,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 12:06:21 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Jim,

I completely forgot about that. In order to change the type so you can attempt to change this, you just need to go down to the option Wireless Mode and choose 802.11b/g. One thing that may be just worth trying so you don't mess up too many of your settings is to just disable security, and change the network name (SSID) to something like Test. Save the changes and do a quick test, and if it can connect, you know changing the settings is probably what will be needed.

-David T

Hi Jim,

I completely forgot about that. In order to change the type so you can attempt to change this, you just need to go down to the option Wireless Mode and choose 802.11b/g. One thing that may be just worth trying so you don't mess up too many of your settings is to just disable security, and change the network name (SSID) to something like Test. Save the changes and do a quick test, and if it can connect, you know changing the settings is probably what will be needed.

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 23 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 3:05:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

David,

When I changed to WEP, then changed 802.11b/g and hit save, I was disconnected from the internet entirely on all machines.  I had to call UVERSE and have them reset the modem to the default settings and I'm now back on line.   The Acer problem has still not been resolved, though when it's connected via ethernet, it does work fine, but takes away laptop mobility.  I'm not comfortable to opening up the security to WEP for the sake of security purposes. 

David,

When I changed to WEP, then changed 802.11b/g and hit save, I was disconnected from the internet entirely on all machines.  I had to call UVERSE and have them reset the modem to the default settings and I'm now back on line.   The Acer problem has still not been resolved, though when it's connected via ethernet, it does work fine, but takes away laptop mobility.  I'm not comfortable to opening up the security to WEP for the sake of security purposes. 

8 of 23 (1,502 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 3:10:06 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Jim,

It sounds like you were making the changes on a wireless connection. I apologize for not taking that into consideration. When you change your wireless network settings, you will have to reconfigure your wireless connections on the devices, which is easily done by just reconnecting and entering your network key once again. If you prefer, we can discuss this over the phone, and I can remotely login to your connection so we can go through this. Just send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Hi Jim,

It sounds like you were making the changes on a wireless connection. I apologize for not taking that into consideration. When you change your wireless network settings, you will have to reconfigure your wireless connections on the devices, which is easily done by just reconnecting and entering your network key once again. If you prefer, we can discuss this over the phone, and I can remotely login to your connection so we can go through this. Just send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

9 of 23 (1,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 6:03:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

David,

I'm back on-line as I was before this whole mess with the Acer computer.  The XBOX and other home computers are working properly and I connected with each one and put in the proper information.  However, the ACER still shows a connection to the internet, with an "excellent" signal, but nothing happens when I try to surf.  Square one with the Acer.  If you can talk me through the process on the Acer I'm game.  But after dealing with the other stuff all day today, I'm somewhat hesitant to mess with the others now that they are working again.  I'll go to the link you provided. 

Thanks,

Jim

David,

I'm back on-line as I was before this whole mess with the Acer computer.  The XBOX and other home computers are working properly and I connected with each one and put in the proper information.  However, the ACER still shows a connection to the internet, with an "excellent" signal, but nothing happens when I try to surf.  Square one with the Acer.  If you can talk me through the process on the Acer I'm game.  But after dealing with the other stuff all day today, I'm somewhat hesitant to mess with the others now that they are working again.  I'll go to the link you provided. 

Thanks,

Jim

10 of 23 (1,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 6:13:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

I did that and yes, I can see the connection, IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Jim

I did that and yes, I can see the connection, IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Jim

11 of 23 (1,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 6:50:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jimmaynard3 wrote:

Jim

OK, is the IP address  a Microsof t "private" assigned address? (does it start with 169.x.x.x?).  If so, then you need to get a valid IP address.  If not, then I would next check your DNS.  From the Command Propt, issue the command:

NSLOOKUP www.google.com

and see what is returned to you.  If you don't get back several lines of information indicating:

Name:www.google.com

Address: 74.125.225.116

Address: 74.125.225.112

Then you have a DNS issue.  

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

jimmaynard3 wrote:

Jim

OK, is the IP address  a Microsof t "private" assigned address? (does it start with 169.x.x.x?).  If so, then you need to get a valid IP address.  If not, then I would next check your DNS.  From the Command Propt, issue the command:

NSLOOKUP www.google.com

and see what is returned to you.  If you don't get back several lines of information indicating:

Address: 74.125.225.116

Address: 74.125.225.112

Then you have a DNS issue.  

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

12 of 23 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 8:48:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

The IP address begins with 192.168.... not with 169.  I believe it is a valid address.  It worked fine with ATT DSL service but when we switched to UVERSE, it stopped working.  As for your other suggestion:

On the command prompt, I typed NSLOOKUP www.google.com (with a space between them).  Answer was:  Server: Unknown.  Address: 208.67.222.222.  DNS request timed out.  Can't find address for server www.google.com.  Timed out.

Jim

The IP address begins with 192.168.... not with 169.  I believe it is a valid address.  It worked fine with ATT DSL service but when we switched to UVERSE, it stopped working.  As for your other suggestion:

On the command prompt, I typed NSLOOKUP www.google.com (with a space between them).  Answer was:  Server: Unknown.  Address: 208.67.222.222.  DNS request timed out.  Can't find address for server www.google.com.  Timed out.

Jim

13 of 23 (1,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 6:38:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Okay, reading through this thread, I will now recap:

1. Yes, your Windows XP, as it is currently set, may have to speak WEP instead of the WPA your RG is configured for.
  2. The RG can't speak WEP over 802.11n, so to use WEP you have to switch to 802.11b/g
  3. When you switch the RG to 802.11b/g and WEP, all of your wireless devices configured for WPA will fail to connect (because their settings are now incorrect).  However, for the purpose of testing, you could proceed to see if the XP machine is working.  Also, any PC connected via an Ethernet cable work continue to work fine as well.
  4. Resetting the RG back to factory defaults puts you back to step 1 because all of your existing clients were set up for the factory defaults.  The XP machine still does not work for whatever reason it didn't work in the first place.

Okay, going forward:

1. Is your XP PC running Service Pack 3 of XP, i.e. Windows XP SP3?  If not, you should perform this upgrade to get fixes for WPA/WPA2 handling.  XP prior to SP2 doesn't handle WPA/WPA2 at all.
  2. Once you're upgraded to SP3, delete the current connection and create it manually, entering the SSID, passphrase and setting the WEP/WPA settings to exactly what your RG has.

Okay, reading through this thread, I will now recap:

1. Yes, your Windows XP, as it is currently set, may have to speak WEP instead of the WPA your RG is configured for.
  2. The RG can't speak WEP over 802.11n, so to use WEP you have to switch to 802.11b/g
  3. When you switch the RG to 802.11b/g and WEP, all of your wireless devices configured for WPA will fail to connect (because their settings are now incorrect).  However, for the purpose of testing, you could proceed to see if the XP machine is working.  Also, any PC connected via an Ethernet cable work continue to work fine as well.
  4. Resetting the RG back to factory defaults puts you back to step 1 because all of your existing clients were set up for the factory defaults.  The XP machine still does not work for whatever reason it didn't work in the first place.

Okay, going forward:

1. Is your XP PC running Service Pack 3 of XP, i.e. Windows XP SP3?  If not, you should perform this upgrade to get fixes for WPA/WPA2 handling.  XP prior to SP2 doesn't handle WPA/WPA2 at all.
  2. Once you're upgraded to SP3, delete the current connection and create it manually, entering the SSID, passphrase and setting the WEP/WPA settings to exactly what your RG has.

14 of 23 (1,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 7:34:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you.  I'm assuming that I need to connect the Acer thru the ethernet (to avoid disconnecting all the other machines again), install the SP3, then delete the current connection and create another, correct?  In your post you mention "RG".  Does that represent the Uverse router?

Jim  

Thank you.  I'm assuming that I need to connect the Acer thru the ethernet (to avoid disconnecting all the other machines again), install the SP3, then delete the current connection and create another, correct?  In your post you mention "RG".  Does that represent the Uverse router?

Jim  

15 of 23 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 11:56:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Seeing your reply, I can see that you have set your computer to use OpenDNS for your DNS server, and you can't even find a route to the DNS Server.  This implies to me that you have one of two things wrong.  Either your internet connection is really down (doubtful since you can access things when you are hard wired), or you have in vinvalid IP configuration on the computer.  I am betting that you have a static or manually configured IP Address on the wireless NIC on your computer, and this is not fully setup properly.  Most likely it is in the default gateway address setting.  If you go back to the IPCONFIG output and look at the "default gateway" value, does it match your IP Address for your residential gateway provided with your UVerse service?  If not, then that is your problem, they need to match otherwise your computer doesn't know how to "talk" outside your local network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Seeing your reply, I can see that you have set your computer to use OpenDNS for your DNS server, and you can't even find a route to the DNS Server.  This implies to me that you have one of two things wrong.  Either your internet connection is really down (doubtful since you can access things when you are hard wired), or you have in vinvalid IP configuration on the computer.  I am betting that you have a static or manually configured IP Address on the wireless NIC on your computer, and this is not fully setup properly.  Most likely it is in the default gateway address setting.  If you go back to the IPCONFIG output and look at the "default gateway" value, does it match your IP Address for your residential gateway provided with your UVerse service?  If not, then that is your problem, they need to match otherwise your computer doesn't know how to "talk" outside your local network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

16 of 23 (1,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 12:00:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, if you need to connect to the Internet do access the SP3 for XP (and I suppose that is likely), then using a Cat5e cable would be a good way to go about it.  An alternative would be to download the administrators kit from here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24) and burn it on a CD or something for your XP machine.

Yes, RG is short for Residential Gateway, which is the AT&T U-verse term for their combination modem/router.

Yes, if you need to connect to the Internet do access the SP3 for XP (and I suppose that is likely), then using a Cat5e cable would be a good way to go about it.  An alternative would be to download the administrators kit from here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24) and burn it on a CD or something for your XP machine.

Yes, RG is short for Residential Gateway, which is the AT&T U-verse term for their combination modem/router.

17 of 23 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 12:31:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Changed the wireless security settings to WEP-open as well as the wireless mode to 802.11b/g and all is working again.  ATT Technician, David, says I'll lose the "n" security upgrade the new UVERSE modem provides, but the technology is the same as what the older 2-Wire modem has so we appear to be good to go.  Thanks for your help as well.

Jim

Changed the wireless security settings to WEP-open as well as the wireless mode to 802.11b/g and all is working again.  ATT Technician, David, says I'll lose the "n" security upgrade the new UVERSE modem provides, but the technology is the same as what the older 2-Wire modem has so we appear to be good to go.  Thanks for your help as well.

Jim

18 of 23 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 12:38:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Many thanks to David T. for his help (and for the suggestions given by others)!  The solution to this was to change the Network name, Wireless Security Authentication to "WEP-Open", and the wireless mode to 802.11b/g and the stubborn Acer computer (operating on Windows XP) has joined the party!  It was explained to me that the loss in security ("n" technology) provided by the newer UVERSE router under the WPA2 setting is minimal.  The same security level was found on my old 2Wire modem (which lasted 5 years!) and I had no issues.  Router placement in the home is a key for signal strength, though this new UVERSE modem is sending enough of a signal to the other end of my home to provide 2, maybe 3 "bars" which is more than sufficient to watch video and for my son's live homeschool broadcast (which he's working on now, without interruption).  Now, I sit back, hold my breath and hope for the best!  Thanks again, David.

Many thanks to David T. for his help (and for the suggestions given by others)!  The solution to this was to change the Network name, Wireless Security Authentication to "WEP-Open", and the wireless mode to 802.11b/g and the stubborn Acer computer (operating on Windows XP) has joined the party!  It was explained to me that the loss in security ("n" technology) provided by the newer UVERSE router under the WPA2 setting is minimal.  The same security level was found on my old 2Wire modem (which lasted 5 years!) and I had no issues.  Router placement in the home is a key for signal strength, though this new UVERSE modem is sending enough of a signal to the other end of my home to provide 2, maybe 3 "bars" which is more than sufficient to watch video and for my son's live homeschool broadcast (which he's working on now, without interruption).  Now, I sit back, hold my breath and hope for the best!  Thanks again, David.

19 of 23 (1,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 12:41:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

In addition, the ACER required all the updates from the Windows XP Service Pack 3 (suggested by Jeff) otherwise none of the attempts made this morning would have helped.  My wife doesn't use the ACER much -- oftentimes not doing the "upgrades" to the computer when requested and I believe that also hindered its ability to connect.  Thank you, Jeff. 

In addition, the ACER required all the updates from the Windows XP Service Pack 3 (suggested by Jeff) otherwise none of the attempts made this morning would have helped.  My wife doesn't use the ACER much -- oftentimes not doing the "upgrades" to the computer when requested and I believe that also hindered its ability to connect.  Thank you, Jeff. 

20 of 23 (1,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 12:46:46 PM
(0)
Community Support

Glad I could help! Thank you for posting what helped fix this issue. Hopefully, it helps others out with similar issues.

-David T

Glad I could help! Thank you for posting what helped fix this issue. Hopefully, it helps others out with similar issues.

-David T

21 of 23 (1,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:15:22 AM
(0)
Contributor
Sounds like i have the same exact prob..Acer One says 'connected' but can't connect..I see where im able to set the WSA to WEP/Open, but how do i get to the 'wireless mode' to change it to 802.11b/g? I sent David a msg so he could walk me thru it but seeing if i can try this fix myself first..Thx for the Post!!..
Sounds like i have the same exact prob..Acer One says 'connected' but can't connect..I see where im able to set the WSA to WEP/Open, but how do i get to the 'wireless mode' to change it to 802.11b/g? I sent David a msg so he could walk me thru it but seeing if i can try this fix myself first..Thx for the Post!!..

22 of 23 (1,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:20:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
bongomike - You are talking the RG?? http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1
It is at the bottom of the page - scroll down to advance settings.
bongomike - You are talking the RG?? http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1
It is at the bottom of the page - scroll down to advance settings.

23 of 23 (1,277 Views)