A voyage of discovery

Scholar

A voyage of discovery

I post this, because it shows the good and the not so good side of AT&T U-verse.

I had AT&T DSL and home phone service for more than a decade. Never had an issue with either, so when the U-verse folks flooded our sub division a few weeks back, I thought 'Why not go for it?". In essence, I was just upgrading to a faster internet speed and saving about $30 per month.

So, they did the install, and it soon becomes clear that there is an issue. My speed will be fine, and then randomly it will crawl, making it impossible to view videos or work on my Citrix Remote Desktop.

I call them. They come out and swap my RG box. The next day, the same issue is back. I call them and they come out and change some cable pairs. All looks fine...the next day, the same issue returns. I call them and they suspect that my cordless phones might be the issue, so they force the RG box to a specific wireless channel rather than being in 'Automatic' mode. Within hours, the issue is back.

At this point, I'm escalated to a different Group, and I'm given a pin number. The lady who I speak with says that even though she is seeing a good line with no issues, she suspects that the ports need replacing in the box outside my house. She arranges for a tech to come out and do that. The tech comes out, says that the ports are fine, and he changes the cable from the drop to the house.

He leaves, and the next day the issue returns. Last night, they sent out a tech who did something that none of the others had done. He hooked up to the RG and looked at the incoming signal from outside the house. He saw that the Download speed was fluctuating from 11.8 to 0.25. At that point, he told me that the issue was indeed the ports in the box and that he would have an external tech come out and do that.

They should be coming out today to change the ports.

Several points I would make here. The first is that the U-verse folks who I spoke with on the phone, and the techs who came out were friendly and professional. My issue is that at no point during all of this did the tech who came out know the history of my issue. With each call, the CSR was typing notes, and yet none of those notes found their way to the techs coming out to my house? I therefore had to repeat the story over and over to each new tech.

My second point is why didn't the tech who changed the cable from the drop to the house change the ports as he was supposed to? Doing that would have saved two further visits from techs...the tech who came out last night, and the tech who is coming out today to change the ports.

So, I give U-verse a score of 6 out of 10. If the very first tech had hooked up to the box the same way the tech last night did, the issue could have been identified as an outside problem much earlier, saving a lot of manpower hours on U-verse's part, and saving me from having to change my work schedule to accomodate the visits.

On the plus side, I now have new ports, all the cables have been replaced, and I have a new RG. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8 (862 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: A voyage of discovery

With issues like yours there are so many variables and possibilities it took a tech being on site WHEN the issue happened so they could find/see the problem and then take the appropiate actions to correct it.  The techs started in the most logical order to eliminate your issue.  RG swap, cable pair changes, etc.  These are typically the fixes that work most all times.  Having a bad port in the VRAD is not as common as the rest of the "stuff" downstream towards your residence.

Meeting the tech and having to take off work is a bummer for sure but at least they found your problem!!

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (847 Views)
Scholar

I agree with your points. My main point was why the tech arriving at my house never had a history of my issue? I expected them to come in and say..."So, I see that you've had two techs out, and they did this and this. So here's the next step" Instead what I got was 'So what's going on?"

That gets old when you're explaining it for the third time. Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 8 (831 Views)
ACE - Master

Ah ha!!  Gotcha.......Makes perfect sense.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8 (825 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

So, to wrap this thread up, while I was at work on Thursday, an exterior tech came out to the house and put in a new port. My download speed has been between 11.5 and 12.0 since then. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8 (768 Views)
ACE - Master

Good deal!!  Thanks for posting back that they were able to get your issue resolved.

Message 6 of 8 (766 Views)
Scholar

I want to know by what magic you got AT*T to visit your house or even take an interest in your case for an intermittent problem.

As I've posted elsewhere, AT*T was perfectly content to allow us to go without TV or Internet service for almost 2 full weeks and only changed it to 5 days after an hour on the phone whining to them, and that's just to begin the diagnostic process.

Message 7 of 8 (714 Views)
Scholar

I used the 'live chat' feature rather than the 800 number. After the second tech came out and failed to resolve the issue, I asked for my issue to be escalated to Tier 2. That was the point where i got a different phone number to call and a pin number that was good for 30 days.

Message 8 of 8 (435 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.