Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 30, 2013
6:33:17 AM
View profile
A new $2 fee for the use of Wi-Fi?

I got an email from AT&T stating "A monthly high-speed internet equipment fee of $2 will be charged for the use of the Wi-Fi enabled Residential Gateway, effective September 29th, 2013. " .

Please tell me the reason for this new fee. I can read what the email says, I want to know a real reason why there is a need to charge us a NEW fee.

I got an email from AT&T stating "A monthly high-speed internet equipment fee of $2 will be charged for the use of the Wi-Fi enabled Residential Gateway, effective September 29th, 2013. " .

Please tell me the reason for this new fee. I can read what the email says, I want to know a real reason why there is a need to charge us a NEW fee.

A new $2 fee for the use of Wi-Fi?

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 7:51:43 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:59:16 AM

svannam62 wrote:

You pretty much answered your own question.

Actually, I believe the charge is supposed to be for the use of the Wi-Fi on your Wi-Fi enabled gateway. They already have a charge for the gateway itself.

You can always buy and use your own wireless (Wi-Fi) access point, But I think AT&T set the charge low enough, that it would take at least a couple years for that new access point to pay for itself.

I also believe, that if you bought your modem outright (usually the case for DSL internet), instead of rent/lease, and it had operational wireless, it would be unethical, if not illegal to charge you to use a feature on something you own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

svannam62 wrote:

You pretty much answered your own question.

Actually, I believe the charge is supposed to be for the use of the Wi-Fi on your Wi-Fi enabled gateway. They already have a charge for the gateway itself.

You can always buy and use your own wireless (Wi-Fi) access point, But I think AT&T set the charge low enough, that it would take at least a couple years for that new access point to pay for itself.

I also believe, that if you bought your modem outright (usually the case for DSL internet), instead of rent/lease, and it had operational wireless, it would be unethical, if not illegal to charge you to use a feature on something you own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: A new $2 fee for the use of Wi-Fi?

[ Edited ]
2 of 2 (481 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments