Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 4, 2014
7:01:25 PM
View profile
$99 internet installation fee for downgrading U450 to U300?

I'm downgrading U450 to U300 and removing HBO/Cinemax and NFL redzone. I'm not making any changes to my internet plan/tier. While changing my plan, the shopping cart continues to add a $99 internet installation fee. Is this normal?? Is it designed to prevent customers from downgrading any plans without being charged an exorbitant $99 fee?  I thought I'd try the account manager using my tv remote and see if the $99 fee isnt added. Maybe it's the fee for using the website to make plan changes? Regardless, it seems very extreme. 

I'm downgrading U450 to U300 and removing HBO/Cinemax and NFL redzone. I'm not making any changes to my internet plan/tier. While changing my plan, the shopping cart continues to add a $99 internet installation fee. Is this normal?? Is it designed to prevent customers from downgrading any plans without being charged an exorbitant $99 fee?  I thought I'd try the account manager using my tv remote and see if the $99 fee isnt added. Maybe it's the fee for using the website to make plan changes? Regardless, it seems very extreme. 

$99 internet installation fee for downgrading U450 to U300?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 7:17:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Are you currently under any contract or do you have any promos tied to a contract?  If you make changes to your contract during the term there could be fees for doing so.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Are you currently under any contract or do you have any promos tied to a contract?  If you make changes to your contract during the term there could be fees for doing so.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: $99 internet installation fee for downgrading U450 to U300?

2 of 7 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 7:23:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had U-verse for about 4 years. There was an original 3 month promo for upgrading U300 to U450, however that promo expired a little over a month ago. Maybe there is a promo attached to the NFL Redzone channel still... I cant remember the length. I'll try some different combinations in the shopping cart and see if the fee disappears.

I've had U-verse for about 4 years. There was an original 3 month promo for upgrading U300 to U450, however that promo expired a little over a month ago. Maybe there is a promo attached to the NFL Redzone channel still... I cant remember the length. I'll try some different combinations in the shopping cart and see if the fee disappears.

3 of 7 (447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 7:36:04 PM
(0)
Employee
If not changing the internet package to Max Plus, Max Turbo, or Power there should be no installation fee.
However if downgrading your package while under a promotion, considered breaking the bundle and pricing may revert to normal month to month price (no discounts).

From TOS. http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

Changes to Fees and Charges. If you signed up for Services for a specified term, you agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay any applicable early termination fee. At the conclusion of your term, AT&T will automatically begin charging the applicable month-to-month fee. If you purchased the Services as part of a bundled offering with one or more other products and are receiving a discount based upon that bundled offering, your discount may cease and you may be billed the standard monthly rate for the Services if you change or disconnect one or more of the services in the applicable bundle
If not changing the internet package to Max Plus, Max Turbo, or Power there should be no installation fee.
However if downgrading your package while under a promotion, considered breaking the bundle and pricing may revert to normal month to month price (no discounts).

From TOS. http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

Changes to Fees and Charges. If you signed up for Services for a specified term, you agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay any applicable early termination fee. At the conclusion of your term, AT&T will automatically begin charging the applicable month-to-month fee. If you purchased the Services as part of a bundled offering with one or more other products and are receiving a discount based upon that bundled offering, your discount may cease and you may be billed the standard monthly rate for the Services if you change or disconnect one or more of the services in the applicable bundle
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 7 (441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 7:55:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

U-verse usually does a good job of notifying when promo periods end. It's always stated on the bill especially if theyre pro-rating something. According to past bills, the U450 promo period expired on 11/27, so I would not be ending that discount early. I've dropped a promo early before and it's called a "change fee" not an "internet installation fee."

U-verse usually does a good job of notifying when promo periods end. It's always stated on the bill especially if theyre pro-rating something. According to past bills, the U450 promo period expired on 11/27, so I would not be ending that discount early. I've dropped a promo early before and it's called a "change fee" not an "internet installation fee."

5 of 7 (431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 4:52:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JoshMidd wrote:

That's definitely strange. You should call customer service or send a private message to Customer Care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Also, I don't believe downgrades are possible using the remote...though I haven't had Uverse in a while, so something may have changed.

JoshMidd wrote:

That's definitely strange. You should call customer service or send a private message to Customer Care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Also, I don't believe downgrades are possible using the remote...though I haven't had Uverse in a while, so something may have changed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 8:00:32 AM
(0)
Employee

I'm thinking that it's a glitch on the website. It sounds like you were on a free upgrade to U450 which would mean that you were not on any kind of bundle promo including tv service because the free upgrade is not available to customer's who are on one.

I'm thinking that it's a glitch on the website. It sounds like you were on a free upgrade to U450 which would mean that you were not on any kind of bundle promo including tv service because the free upgrade is not available to customer's who are on one.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 7 (383 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments