Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 25, 2014
3:55:32 PM
View profile
$99 Moving Fee?

Can someone please explain to me, in plain English, why I need to pay $99 for a technician to come out and "set up" internet at my new apartment?  

I currently have U-verse at my apartment and am attempting to move it to my new apartment.  The current tenant at my new apartment also uses U-verse.  I also own the AT&T modem.  But in order to move service, I need to pay $99 for a technician to come out.  

The woman on the phone said that it's standard for every move/new service - a technician needs to physically "set up" service.  If that's the case, then why was I able to self-install at my current apartment?

Does anyone understand what the technician does?  Is it wiring?  Reconfiguring?  Is it something that is done to the utility pole or to the modem itself?  I'm really curious why it is easier to switch a land line and not internet service.

Can someone please explain to me, in plain English, why I need to pay $99 for a technician to come out and "set up" internet at my new apartment?  

I currently have U-verse at my apartment and am attempting to move it to my new apartment.  The current tenant at my new apartment also uses U-verse.  I also own the AT&T modem.  But in order to move service, I need to pay $99 for a technician to come out.  

The woman on the phone said that it's standard for every move/new service - a technician needs to physically "set up" service.  If that's the case, then why was I able to self-install at my current apartment?

Does anyone understand what the technician does?  Is it wiring?  Reconfiguring?  Is it something that is done to the utility pole or to the modem itself?  I'm really curious why it is easier to switch a land line and not internet service.

$99 Moving Fee?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 5:34:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Once the current tenant cancels their service then I would think it should be available for a self install.  There can't be two U-verse accounts at the same address/apartment number.  Maybe that's why they are showing a tech install?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Once the current tenant cancels their service then I would think it should be available for a self install.  There can't be two U-verse accounts at the same address/apartment number.  Maybe that's why they are showing a tech install?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: $99 Moving Fee?

2 of 5 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 7:37:56 PM
(0)
Employee
Some items that may require a full tech install....
1) You have or ordered a speed higher than MAX (12/1.5)
2) The distance is greater than 2200 feet, longer loop lengths generally require full tech install.
3) the location has FTTP, new apartment or condo units with fiber require full tech install due to ONT.
4) the location does not currently have, pots, dsl or uverse requiring the full tech install.

As number 4,in your case, is eliminated how does the other three measure up.
Some items that may require a full tech install....
1) You have or ordered a speed higher than MAX (12/1.5)
2) The distance is greater than 2200 feet, longer loop lengths generally require full tech install.
3) the location has FTTP, new apartment or condo units with fiber require full tech install due to ONT.
4) the location does not currently have, pots, dsl or uverse requiring the full tech install.

As number 4,in your case, is eliminated how does the other three measure up.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 5 (501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 7:47:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Keep in mind that AT&T is offering a credit for moving.  I've seen a banner ad mentioning $300.  Get the $300, pay the $99 and pocket the $201.  

Keep in mind that AT&T is offering a credit for moving.  I've seen a banner ad mentioning $300.  Get the $300, pay the $99 and pocket the $201.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 9:45:02 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by julywashere on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:46:40 PM

JefferMC wrote:

@jedalton78, doesn't qualify for it. They own their gateway which means they not a U-Verse TV subscriber. In order to qualify for the $300 mover's reward card, the customer must be an existing subscriber with U-Verse TV U-family, or higher.

--edit--
Here's a link!

JefferMC wrote:

@jedalton78, doesn't qualify for it. They own their gateway which means they not a U-Verse TV subscriber. In order to qualify for the $300 mover's reward card, the customer must be an existing subscriber with U-Verse TV U-family, or higher.

--edit--
Here's a link!

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (476 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments