911 service with U-verse

Contributor

911 service with U-verse

I have a regular landline service and Uverse for broadband with AT&T. Earlier today, when I had called customer service, the rep urged me to consider switching to a much cheaper bundled service with Uverse. Little did I know that you get only Voice-over-IP (VoIP) service with Uverse.

She did NOT inform that the 911 service that you get with Uverse is unlike the reliable 911 service you get with the landline service that I am moving away from. For 911 to work with VoIP, it is important for the internet service to be up (and the power to be up). At least from what I have seen in my area, the chances of the internet being down are relatively high - on the other hand, my phone service (lack of a dial tone) has never happened - at least, this likelihood is very small compared to internet outage.

It is important that AT&T customer service make such CRITICAL differences clear to customers before they urge them to sign up for bundled Uverse services. I would not be surprised if the customer reps are themselves not aware of this issue. Subsequently, when I had a chat session with another customer rep, she had to do some offline consultation before she even came to be aware of this!

So, be aware of the 911 issue before you sign up for VoIP!

Thanks,
Jay

Message 1 of 6 (697 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 911 service with U-verse

[ Edited ]

Saying "the 911 service that you get with Uverse is unlike the reliable 911 service you get with the landline service" is misleading.  It's all the same...how you reach them is somewhat different:  landline (POTS) vs. Uvoice (VOIP).  Do you get a DIFFERENT 911 if you dial it from your cellphone or have another VOIP service?  No.

I've had Uverse for 7 years and Uvoice for about 5 of those.  While there has been the rare service outages, the bigger issue is power outages, which ATT has no control over.  When you have VOIP, you get a battery backup with a 4 hr. power source.

I can see that the risk would need to be taken into consideration with someone who has chronic health issues and the need to call 911 is a daily concern. 

Other than that, the chances of having a service outage and needing to call 911 at the same minute are pretty slim.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (669 Views)
ACE - Expert

There several important differences between POTS and any VOIP service, including carrier grade VOIP (like U-verse):

1. The power outage aspect,
  2. The IP routing aspect, and
  3. The location-identification aspect

The buyer really should be informed that U-verse voice is VOIP.  However, the buyer should also know that if it's not POTS, it's something else, and there's very little choice about what the something else is.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (640 Views)
Employee

skeeterintexas wrote:

Saying "the 911 service that you get with Uverse is unlike the reliable 911 service you get with the landline service" is misleading.  It's all the same...how you reach them is somewhat different:  landline (POTS) vs. Uvoice (VOIP).  Do you get a DIFFERENT 911 if you dial it from your cellphone or have another VOIP service?  No.

Agreed but information to the PSAP could vary dramaticly

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6 (599 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

But would you agree that regardless if you dial from a POTS or VOIP, it still goes to the same place?  I've dialed 911 a time or two (hey, I'm a tax paying citizen) and, of course, it goes to my local dispatch office and they knew my exact location. 

Cell phone calls are different since there's no way to know the location of the emergency.  Years ago, I saw a guy on a motorcycle get hit by a car.  I called 911 from my cell and it went to Dallas Emergency but they patched me through to my local PD.

Message 5 of 6 (582 Views)
ACE - Expert

VOIP arrives at address information in a different way from POTS (as shown in the diagram).  With POTS, the wire goes to a physical location, which is mapped.  With normal VOIP (i.e. Vonnage), the phone number is not necissarily associated with a physical address, although with Carrier Grade VOIP (such as U-verse), it might as well be.

Message 6 of 6 (565 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.