$90 reconnect fee?

Contributor

$90 reconnect fee?

So does this sound unreasonable to anyone else but me? It takes max 30 seconds of keystrokes if done by hand and it probably is automated. $30 per service? I buy one bundled product, you (ATT) call it three separate services. So one $30 fee I can see for being late on a payment (that went to paperless without my authorization), but $90 is excessive and borderline criminal in my eyes.

I really like the Uverse product but this billing for this and that and here's your extra fee for this is just making me wish for other alternatives. I'm not going to Xfinity because I have heard worse horror stories from over there.

I guess I'll just lean on my Congressman to repeal the Telecommulications Act of 1996 and replace it with something that encourages free competition. I doubt it will do anything but it's something.

Message 1 of 9 (1,631 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: $90 reconnect fee?

[ Edited ]

Unluckily that's the standard fee for reconnect after disconnecting for, usually, very late or no pay of the bill. 

I seem to get an email 19 days before it is due on paperless too, but I have autopay to my credit card and never have a late payment.  Just caue it's paperless, you can always go online to see what's due when. 

It is your responsibility to pay timely, ATT is under no obligation to notify you when it is due. Smiley Wink

Edit:  You can go back to paper, go online or call, then you'll get the bill each month.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (1,593 Views)

Brewstir wrote:

So does this sound unreasonable to anyone else but me? It takes max 30 seconds of keystrokes if done by hand and it probably is automated. $30 per service? I buy one bundled product, you (ATT) call it three separate services. So one $30 fee I can see for being late on a payment (that went to paperless without my authorization), but $90 is excessive and borderline criminal in my eyes.

I really like the Uverse product but this billing for this and that and here's your extra fee for this is just making me wish for other alternatives. I'm not going to Xfinity because I have heard worse horror stories from over there.

I guess I'll just lean on my Congressman to repeal the Telecommulications Act of 1996 and replace it with something that encourages free competition. I doubt it will do anything but it's something.

Is it quite a bit, yep. Is it unfair or excessive or borderline criminal as you stated, no. You have 3 services internet, tv and phone and if you don't pay your bill when it's due then they can disconnect it.  It's also not like the cut you off at midnight on the day it was due, it's usually close to 30 days after it's late.  You don't want to pay $90 in reconnect fees, pay your bill on time. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 3 of 9 (1,578 Views)
Contributor

I understand it's my obligation to pay my bill on time. The set of circumstances that happened, I won't go into much detail, prevented me from paying on time that month. So I sucked it up, got the service reinstated after I got some funds, and figured I would have some sort of late charge, but not close to $90. I take back the criminal thing cause that was just my emotions talking.

A $30 annoyance fee seems to be fair and I would not have a problem paying it, but $90 just gets me wishing there was another alternative other than Xfinity or just turning it all off.

Message 4 of 9 (1,571 Views)
ACE - Expert

Contact ATT Customer Care here:
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Send them a private message, on this link, and they might be able to help w/the $30 fees. They are available M-F 8am-11pm EST. This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done. I personally know as they've helped me on a DVR swap.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9 (1,562 Views)

Brewstir wrote:

I understand it's my obligation to pay my bill on time. The set of circumstances that happened, I won't go into much detail, prevented me from paying on time that month. So I sucked it up, got the service reinstated after I got some funds, and figured I would have some sort of late charge, but not close to $90. I take back the criminal thing cause that was just my emotions talking.

A $30 annoyance fee seems to be fair and I would not have a problem paying it, but $90 just gets me wishing there was another alternative other than Xfinity or just turning it all off.

Not saying there weren't extenuating circumstances, I've been in that same boat myself, however, it is a bundle of three services.  You can try sending a PM as Chris suggested, but they don't have to waive any of the fees.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 6 of 9 (1,554 Views)
ACE - Professor

Brewstir wrote:

The "reconnect fee" also takes into account the collection activities that occured before the service was suspended.

In addition, keep in mind the fee is also meant to be a deterrent to customers letting their services be suspended. If the fee was too low, customers could simply not pay their bills until the service was suspended, make a payment, rinse and repeat. By making the fee high, AT&T is preventing customers from doing that.

Message 7 of 9 (1,494 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

It's not unlike the high fee that companies charge for a "hot check" (insufficient funds).

I've done collections for banks/credit unions and non-profits (people will actually write hot checks for donations and fundraisers).  Does it cost $25 to collect an NSF check or $30 to turn service back on?  No but the fees are, as stated, a deterrent to do it again. 

There's always some excuse but bottom line is that if you agree to pay for a service, it is expected that you will do just that.  You don't, there are consequences.

Message 8 of 9 (1,475 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Brewster, call Customer Service, or contact Customer Care to see if the fees can be waived.  If you get an uncooperative CSR politely end the call and call back until you get a cooperative one.  It is possible to get those fees waived, you just have to be persistent.

Message 9 of 9 (1,380 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.