5031nv with 5 Static IPs, adding a wireless router

Contributor

5031nv with 5 Static IPs, adding a wireless router

I just had a 5031nv installed at my business and I have a block of 5 static IP addresses. The "Current Internet IP Address" under the Broadband tab of the 5031nv is 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, but the DHCP router address is 23.xxx.xxx.xxs and the Private DHCP range is manually configured in the 23.xxx.xxx.xxx network with 5 addresses. I'm used to seeing the internet IP address of a router/gateway be in the block of static IP addresses, and the DHCP of the router/gateway be default for a local DHCP range. ATT support tells me the router/gateway is set correctly and the Private DHCP is handing out my 5 static IP addresses in the 23.xxx.xxx.xxx network to 5 devices connected on the network, which appears to be true, all the devices have a 23.xxx IP address and are internet connected. If the router's internet IP is correct at 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, then I don't have any problem with that. I'm seeing some posts about using the Additional Network setting for configuring static IPs with the 5031nv, but I'm not clear on that.

If all that is proper, then my question is, what are my basic steps for adding a wireless router behind the 5031nv so I have an additional network available for my wireless connections? Do I cascade a router with a different subnet, or do I use the "Additional network" setting in the 5031nv? Or can I just give a wireless router behind the RG one of the static IP addresses, put its DHCP on a separate subnet, and be done?

Edit: Looking at some other posts, it would appear the RG wasn't configured properly on install, and the RG's 25.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address needs to be entered in Broadband > Link Configuration > Add Additional Network > Router Address with 255.255.255.248 as the subnet mask for the 5 static IPs (8 total). The DHCP appears to be correct. In that case, do I use the 5031nv's Add Cascaded Router to add a wireless router so I have available IPs on a subnet for wireless (and what are the steps), or can I add the wireless router using a static IP with the firewall off and give it its own subnet?

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Community Support

Re: 5031nv with 5 Static IPs, adding a wireless router

Hi Rich_D,

I am sorry about the issues you have been having setting up the static IP. When it comes to adding an additional router, your second statement is absolutely correct. You can just add the wireless router using a Static IP with the firewall off, and set up the DHCP pools and static route on your wireless router.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Thanks for the reply; I thought as much, it confused me that the router was using local static IP addresses different from the internet IP for the router/gateway. But now I know!

Message 3 of 5
Community Support

I am glad you got it working! If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5
Tutor

I am in the same boat.  Did you get this working by setting up a Cascade router?  Or specifying a user-defined supplemental network?

If possible, can you let me knwo the steps you took to accomplish this?

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support