45 mbps upgrade frustration

Tutor

45 mbps upgrade frustration

Signed up for the 45 mbps internet service online this morning.  Received an email saying they needed some additional information to complete the order.  Called the number and was put on hold for around 30 minutes while customer suypport tried to figure out was happenning.  Nice man said he would call me back and never did.  I called again a few hours later and was told (after another 30 muinutes on hold) that in order to upgrade my service they would have to change my profile and that I would be without any service (internet, phone, tv) for 2-3 days.  That clearly won't work so I had to cancel the order.

The real frustration is that I have fiber right to the side of my house.  What good is it to have all that bandwith sitting at the door if you can't use it.  I was one of the first adopters of uverse -- but the inability of ATT to simply upgrade is beginning to get a bit frustrating.

Has anyone else had similar issues?  Will it always require a 2-3 day outage to make this changeover?  I feel like I am being penalized for being an early and loyal customer.

Message 1 of 4 (383 Views)
Employee

Re: 45 mbps upgrade frustration

While not stating where your from, I would take it in your the Austin area.

Original FTTP (fiber to the premise) was BPON ONT, as state early subscriber believe this is what you have.
To upgrade to GPON, the ONT has to replaced, my understanding is they must cancel your current account, create a new order, schedule installation upgrade of ONT.
This is required as the system does not allow two Uverse accounts at the same address.
Thus to create an order, the address must be free.

This has nothing to do with being an early adopter, the initial concept was 32 accounts sharing (1) Gigabit connection, with Max internet delivery of 18 M
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (366 Views)
Tutor

Thanks so much for your quick response.  That all makes sense and you have confirmed my frustration with being an earlier adopter.  It appears my current profile locks me into a situation that prevents an upgrade unless I am willing to have my service cut off for 2-3 days.  If I were a new customer that would not be an issue.

I hope that ATT can develop a better upgrade path for those of us who would like the enhanced service but who also can not go without service for 2-3 days.

Message 3 of 4 (330 Views)
Employee

While I understand the frustrating level, you at least have service, a new customer might be without anything for one to three weeks or more instead of 2 to 3 days.

Many posts on those either moving, cannot get service when desired. Or bought, built new home not in database, cannot order service till address verification completed.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (312 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.