Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 11, 2014
3:23:51 PM
View profile
3D Television Appears To Be On The Way Out

From reports that I have read from this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, it appears that 3d televisions could be a thing of the past. One of the reasons given was the uncomfortable 3D glasses that one had to wear to see the feature according to an article in usatoday.com. However, it apprears that not all television manufacturers are giving up on the feature at this time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/01/09/ces-2014-baig-wrapup/4394957/

The current WOW thing is the 4K high definition television. Quoting from thewire.com "A 4K high definition picture has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of the current high-definition standard (1080p) and about four times as many pixels, which sounds great, but there are some problems. 4K may not improve the picture for TVs under 50 inches, and right now there's little-to-no content available in 4K HD. YouTube streaming in 4K is about the only available option for normals, but again few of the videos being shot actually live up to that standard."

The article said that Vizio is getting out of the manufacturing of 3D televisions.

http://www.thewire.com/technology/2014/01/3d-tv-dead/356721/

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

From reports that I have read from this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, it appears that 3d televisions could be a thing of the past. One of the reasons given was the uncomfortable 3D glasses that one had to wear to see the feature according to an article in usatoday.com. However, it apprears that not all television manufacturers are giving up on the feature at this time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/01/09/ces-2014-baig-wrapup/4394957/

The current WOW thing is the 4K high definition television. Quoting from thewire.com "A 4K high definition picture has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of the current high-definition standard (1080p) and about four times as many pixels, which sounds great, but there are some problems. 4K may not improve the picture for TVs under 50 inches, and right now there's little-to-no content available in 4K HD. YouTube streaming in 4K is about the only available option for normals, but again few of the videos being shot actually live up to that standard."

The article said that Vizio is getting out of the manufacturing of 3D televisions.

http://www.thewire.com/technology/2014/01/3d-tv-dead/356721/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3D Television Appears To Be On The Way Out

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 5:34:08 PM
(0)
Guru

As I recall, there was very little HD content when HD first came on the scene.  While I probably won't rush to find a 4K TV, it sounds like an interesting possibility.  Someday, we might be referring to HD in the same way that we now look at SD!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

As I recall, there was very little HD content when HD first came on the scene.  While I probably won't rush to find a 4K TV, it sounds like an interesting possibility.  Someday, we might be referring to HD in the same way that we now look at SD!

Re: 3D Television Appears To Be On The Way Out

2 of 20 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 3:50:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

That could be true, but the biggest reason as far as I can tell is the lack of 3D content worth getting.  It seems that most 3D movies are animated films for kids.  Ironically, the 3D glasses (at least the Vizio glasses I have) don't really fit little kids' heads.  My Vizio TV is extraordinarily sharp, compared to other 1080p TVs I've seen in the same size, so I don't think my money was completely wasted on a 3D TV.  I bought an IO Gear 3D simulator, but it was a bust and had to go back.  Wouldn't work with my Uverse + Wireless HDMI.  Otherwise, I keep looking for 3D Bluray movies that are worth having on their own merit, and it's useless. 

There were two prior 3D movie era's that I can recall.  The 1950's era with "Creature From the Black Lagoon" and a few others.  Then the mid 80's era with "Spacehunter" and...well I can't remember another one.  As far as I can tell, the owners of the 50's 3D movies and the 80's 3D movies haven't seen sufficient market demand to warrant releasing their products in Bluray 3D or even HD.  Too bad.  The Red-Cyan 3D could even work in standard HD with the Red-Cyan glasses.  As to Spacehunter, a 3D Bluray disk might make that movie at least a curiousity.  It was Molly Ringwald's (as I recall) first film, and it had some memorable/repeatable lines ("I don't eat no dog" and "brainworking").  Otherwise, it was decent special effects for a (IMO) really stupid movie--and I'm a sci fi nut!

That could be true, but the biggest reason as far as I can tell is the lack of 3D content worth getting.  It seems that most 3D movies are animated films for kids.  Ironically, the 3D glasses (at least the Vizio glasses I have) don't really fit little kids' heads.  My Vizio TV is extraordinarily sharp, compared to other 1080p TVs I've seen in the same size, so I don't think my money was completely wasted on a 3D TV.  I bought an IO Gear 3D simulator, but it was a bust and had to go back.  Wouldn't work with my Uverse + Wireless HDMI.  Otherwise, I keep looking for 3D Bluray movies that are worth having on their own merit, and it's useless. 

There were two prior 3D movie era's that I can recall.  The 1950's era with "Creature From the Black Lagoon" and a few others.  Then the mid 80's era with "Spacehunter" and...well I can't remember another one.  As far as I can tell, the owners of the 50's 3D movies and the 80's 3D movies haven't seen sufficient market demand to warrant releasing their products in Bluray 3D or even HD.  Too bad.  The Red-Cyan 3D could even work in standard HD with the Red-Cyan glasses.  As to Spacehunter, a 3D Bluray disk might make that movie at least a curiousity.  It was Molly Ringwald's (as I recall) first film, and it had some memorable/repeatable lines ("I don't eat no dog" and "brainworking").  Otherwise, it was decent special effects for a (IMO) really stupid movie--and I'm a sci fi nut!

3 of 20 (1,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 4:35:07 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by CostaMesaCAGuy on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:36:51 PM

Hopefully 4K, or ultra-high def TV is on the way out as well.  I have no desire to upgrade both my HDTV and my Blu-ray player in the near future.

I still remember that tone-deaf one-post wonder who posted here about 3-D TVs: "there are two groups of people.  One group wants to purchase a 3-D TV and the other group who can't afford it."

LOL!

Hopefully 4K, or ultra-high def TV is on the way out as well.  I have no desire to upgrade both my HDTV and my Blu-ray player in the near future.

I still remember that tone-deaf one-post wonder who posted here about 3-D TVs: "there are two groups of people.  One group wants to purchase a 3-D TV and the other group who can't afford it."

LOL!

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

[ Edited ]
4 of 20 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 5:23:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

LOL!

I remember that fool.  I have the means to purchase, just never had the desire.  Upconverted 3D movies aren't nearly as good as movies that are filmed in 3D.  The glasses give my wife headaches so we don't go to 3D movies and it's saves me about $7 per person at the theater and buying Blu-Rays.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

LOL!

I remember that fool.  I have the means to purchase, just never had the desire.  Upconverted 3D movies aren't nearly as good as movies that are filmed in 3D.  The glasses give my wife headaches so we don't go to 3D movies and it's saves me about $7 per person at the theater and buying Blu-Rays.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 20 (1,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 7:04:39 PM
(0)
Guru

I hope this year's Hype for 2014 CES is Crurve shape TVs is passing fad as well.

I hope this year's Hype for 2014 CES is Crurve shape TVs is passing fad as well.

Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

6 of 20 (1,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:52:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

siouxmoux wrote:

I think it's a cool idea, just extremely expensive right now.  I went and say Transformers in IMAX several years ago and the screen was curved, talk about being blown away.

siouxmoux wrote:

I think it's a cool idea, just extremely expensive right now.  I went and say Transformers in IMAX several years ago and the screen was curved, talk about being blown away.

7 of 20 (984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 4:45:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

siouxmoux wrote:

That was just all the explosions. Thank Michael Bay!

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

oufanindallas wrote:

siouxmoux wrote:

-------

8 of 20 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:35:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

siouxmoux wrote:

Smiley Happy

americangame wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

siouxmoux wrote:

Smiley Happy

9 of 20 (943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 9:50:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Interesting article regarding 4k tvs. If you're a gamer, don't waste your money.

Interesting article regarding 4k tvs. If you're a gamer, don't waste your money.

10 of 20 (904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 9:54:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

When HDTVs were starting to come out, we were in the middle of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. I don't believe may games on those systems even supported 720p output via componenet on those systems at the time. 

-------

oufanindallas wrote:

When HDTVs were starting to come out, we were in the middle of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. I don't believe may games on those systems even supported 720p output via componenet on those systems at the time. 

-------

11 of 20 (900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:07:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't think it's just gamers, at least for the near future.

Efficient and cost-effective delivery of 4K video to a 4K set is not here yet either.  It will come, because the arguments for 4K are more compelling that those for 3D, but it will take months, if not years, before there are a large number of 4K compatible Bluray discs... and oh, I wonder if your old Bluray player can handle a 4K disc, even with a firmware upgrade?

And data rates?  4K is 4X the pixels on the screen.  You can bet that U-verse's current 6 Mbps bitrate used for HD content won't be adequate for 2160.

MaxTurbo HSIA just to stream a movie on Netflix?  People with 25 Mbps profiles out of luck?  With the congestion issues Netflix is causing with up to 1080p HD, just wait until 2 to 4 times that starts moving.

I don't think it's just gamers, at least for the near future.

Efficient and cost-effective delivery of 4K video to a 4K set is not here yet either.  It will come, because the arguments for 4K are more compelling that those for 3D, but it will take months, if not years, before there are a large number of 4K compatible Bluray discs... and oh, I wonder if your old Bluray player can handle a 4K disc, even with a firmware upgrade?

And data rates?  4K is 4X the pixels on the screen.  You can bet that U-verse's current 6 Mbps bitrate used for HD content won't be adequate for 2160.

MaxTurbo HSIA just to stream a movie on Netflix?  People with 25 Mbps profiles out of luck?  With the congestion issues Netflix is causing with up to 1080p HD, just wait until 2 to 4 times that starts moving.

12 of 20 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:21:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

americangame wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Some of the very first XBOX units did not include HDMI. I'm pretty sure they had component HD, though.

americangame wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Some of the very first XBOX units did not include HDMI. I'm pretty sure they had component HD, though.

13 of 20 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:25:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, 4k make look nice, but not nice enough right now for me to want to fork over that type of money. 

Yeah, 4k make look nice, but not nice enough right now for me to want to fork over that type of money. 

14 of 20 (889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 1:06:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by americangame on Jan 15, 2014 at 1:07:03 PM

baseballisback wrote:

americangame wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

NONE of the original xboxes have HDMI, the first round of 360s didn't but it was eventuially added in. Both systems had component input, but it mostly displayed at 480p. A few games did a higher resoultion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_HD_support

-------

baseballisback wrote:

americangame wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

NONE of the original xboxes have HDMI, the first round of 360s didn't but it was eventuially added in. Both systems had component input, but it mostly displayed at 480p. A few games did a higher resoultion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_HD_support

-------

[ Edited ]
15 of 20 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 6:31:10 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, of course.  Why watch a uniformly sized and geometrically correct picture on a flat screen when you can watch a distorted picture on a curved screen?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Yes, of course.  Why watch a uniformly sized and geometrically correct picture on a flat screen when you can watch a distorted picture on a curved screen?

Yeah, that makes sense.

16 of 20 (844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 9:11:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I thought that the reason for curved TV was to keep the ends of these huge screen TV's from being further away from your eyeballs than the center of the screen.  By curving the ends towards the viewer, it effectively makes it look more like a rectangle than it does when it is flat.

On a 90" flat screenTV viewed from 3 feet away (from the center), the edges would actually be 58" away.  I doubt the curves will totally do away with that effect, though.

On my 42" TV, I don't see the point. Smiley Wink

I thought that the reason for curved TV was to keep the ends of these huge screen TV's from being further away from your eyeballs than the center of the screen.  By curving the ends towards the viewer, it effectively makes it look more like a rectangle than it does when it is flat.

On a 90" flat screenTV viewed from 3 feet away (from the center), the edges would actually be 58" away.  I doubt the curves will totally do away with that effect, though.

On my 42" TV, I don't see the point. Smiley Wink

17 of 20 (814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 10:04:16 AM
(0)
Expert

JefferMC wrote:

Theoretically, that's true, but the picture has to be adjusted to compensate.

When the scene was filmed, the film plane in the camera (with celluloid film) or the image sensor (with digital photography) are both flat.  Light rays from the lens traveled farther towards the corners of the film plane than towards the center, resulting in more spread of the light rays and therefore slightly more magnification in those areas.

The slight magnification in the corners of the resulting projected or imaged picture compensate for the fact that you're viewing the image on a flat rectangle.

If you curve the screen so the corners are closer to you, then the images of objects in the corners are too big.

To properly compensate, you need a curved film plane or image sensor in the camera that matches the curvature of the display, or you have to digitally manipulate the image between filming and display.

JefferMC wrote:

Theoretically, that's true, but the picture has to be adjusted to compensate.

When the scene was filmed, the film plane in the camera (with celluloid film) or the image sensor (with digital photography) are both flat.  Light rays from the lens traveled farther towards the corners of the film plane than towards the center, resulting in more spread of the light rays and therefore slightly more magnification in those areas.

The slight magnification in the corners of the resulting projected or imaged picture compensate for the fact that you're viewing the image on a flat rectangle.

If you curve the screen so the corners are closer to you, then the images of objects in the corners are too big.

To properly compensate, you need a curved film plane or image sensor in the camera that matches the curvature of the display, or you have to digitally manipulate the image between filming and display.

18 of 20 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:56:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I was told there would be no math.

-------

I was told there would be no math.

-------

19 of 20 (721 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 3:59:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

I think when ESPN killed their 3D channel that was the nail in the coffin as far as 3D goes, it too exspensive to produce and most people dont want to wear accessories to watch TV. I think its all about UHD (4K) now which is great because as they transition into that it will put pressure to have all existing channel is HD.

I think when ESPN killed their 3D channel that was the nail in the coffin as far as 3D goes, it too exspensive to produce and most people dont want to wear accessories to watch TV. I think its all about UHD (4K) now which is great because as they transition into that it will put pressure to have all existing channel is HD.

20 of 20 (696 Views)