3D Television Appears To Be On The Way Out

ACE - Professor

3D Television Appears To Be On The Way Out

From reports that I have read from this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, it appears that 3d televisions could be a thing of the past. One of the reasons given was the uncomfortable 3D glasses that one had to wear to see the feature according to an article in usatoday.com. However, it apprears that not all television manufacturers are giving up on the feature at this time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/01/09/ces-2014-baig-wrapup/4394957/

The current WOW thing is the 4K high definition television. Quoting from thewire.com "A 4K high definition picture has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of the current high-definition standard (1080p) and about four times as many pixels, which sounds great, but there are some problems. 4K may not improve the picture for TVs under 50 inches, and right now there's little-to-no content available in 4K HD. YouTube streaming in 4K is about the only available option for normals, but again few of the videos being shot actually live up to that standard."

The article said that Vizio is getting out of the manufacturing of 3D televisions.

http://www.thewire.com/technology/2014/01/3d-tv-dead/356721/

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 20 (1,413 Views)
Expert

Re: 3D Television Appears To Be On The Way Out

Yes, of course.  Why watch a uniformly sized and geometrically correct picture on a flat screen when you can watch a distorted picture on a curved screen?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Message 16 of 20 (1,096 Views)
ACE - Expert

I thought that the reason for curved TV was to keep the ends of these huge screen TV's from being further away from your eyeballs than the center of the screen.  By curving the ends towards the viewer, it effectively makes it look more like a rectangle than it does when it is flat.

On a 90" flat screenTV viewed from 3 feet away (from the center), the edges would actually be 58" away.  I doubt the curves will totally do away with that effect, though.

On my 42" TV, I don't see the point. Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 20 (1,066 Views)
Expert

JefferMC wrote:

I thought that the reason for curved TV was to keep the ends of these huge screen TV's from being further away from your eyeballs than the center of the screen.  By curving the ends towards the viewer, it effectively makes it look more like a rectangle than it does when it is flat.

Theoretically, that's true, but the picture has to be adjusted to compensate.

When the scene was filmed, the film plane in the camera (with celluloid film) or the image sensor (with digital photography) are both flat.  Light rays from the lens traveled farther towards the corners of the film plane than towards the center, resulting in more spread of the light rays and therefore slightly more magnification in those areas.

The slight magnification in the corners of the resulting projected or imaged picture compensate for the fact that you're viewing the image on a flat rectangle.

If you curve the screen so the corners are closer to you, then the images of objects in the corners are too big.

To properly compensate, you need a curved film plane or image sensor in the camera that matches the curvature of the display, or you have to digitally manipulate the image between filming and display.

Message 18 of 20 (984 Views)
ACE - Professor

I was told there would be no math.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 19 of 20 (973 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

I think when ESPN killed their 3D channel that was the nail in the coffin as far as 3D goes, it too exspensive to produce and most people dont want to wear accessories to watch TV. I think its all about UHD (4K) now which is great because as they transition into that it will put pressure to have all existing channel is HD.

Message 20 of 20 (948 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.