30 day trial not honored, charged a cancellation fee

Contributor

30 day trial not honored, charged a cancellation fee

Can someone help me with this bad experience with the 30-day cancellation guarantee, which I hope isn't typical of AT&T.  I have been an AT&T wireless customer for nearly 20 years and was a DSL subscriber in the past  for several years too.  When I saw advertisements that they had improved their DSL service, I called them to discuss service at my house.  They said I could try it free for 30 days.  I agreed to initiate service with AT&T for two phone lines, DSL Internet, and TV service. 

After their initial installation failed, they made a service visit to correct the installation.  When that failed, I called AT&T to cancel the trial and return my service to Comcast.  I notified Comcast after I got off the phone with AT&T that day.  This was done within the 30-day trial window. 

Behind the scenes, whatever AT&T and Comcast did to switch me back failed and I was out of phone service for a period of days.  

As the end of the 30-day trial period came near, I called AT&T to discuss the cancellation with the AT&T service representative and asked how to send the equipment back.  The AT&T representative said I could NOT send equipment back (even though it was not active), nor could he completely cancel my service until Comcast did whatever they needed to do to complete the telephone handoff. 

I reminded the AT&T representative of the 30-day trial window and I said I expected a full refund of charges.  I said that if they were going to charge me, I would need to reinstall their service, as I could not afford to pay service fees for nothing.  The AT&T representative said that I would not be charged a termination fee since I had cancelled with-in the 30 day period.  Over the next few days, AT&T and Comcast worked out their technical problems and I was given the authorization to return the equipment, which I did per their instructions.   

A month or so later, I received a $238 TERMINATION FEE invoice from AT&T.  I called and told them the facts as per above and that I did not owe those costs.  The AT&T collections man whom I spoke with did not dispute these facts; he did not dispute the fact that the AT&T representative told me that I would not be charged a termination fee.  However, he said he was not going to honor the AT&T service representative’s statements.  I was aghast!  He simple said, “I am not going to honor that.”  I told him that I relied on that representation by his company employee to make the decision to continue with the termination.  Otherwise I would have reversed course and continue the service.  He simply repeated that he would not honor that representation.  Instead of dicussing my situation, he sent my account to collections.  

What I did was ligitimate and within the 30 day trial, eventhough I never received 30 days of service.  I refuse to pay this charge, since I was relied upon their employee's statement which seemed ligitimate.   It's been nearly 2 years and their 3rd party collection companies call me all the time.  My letters of explanation don't help.  What is the process for resolving ligitimate disputes?  

Sadly, I am counting the months until my AT&T wireless account allows me to end my 20 year relationship with AT&T penalty free.

Message 1 of 8 (1,907 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: 30 day trial not honored, charged a cancellation fee

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM(Blue envelope top right of screen) between the hours of 7am-10pm CST Monday - Friday, should hear back within 2 to 3 business days.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (1,903 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, zappos!

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience.

As Jeffster said, please send us a message with all your information so we can get this sorted out as quickly as possible. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen. 

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8 (1,897 Views)
Contributor

Also am in the middle of horrible experience. Was assured several times that the billing issue was resolved and just today received a collections letter.  horrible business practice, horrible customer service, horrible period

Message 4 of 8 (1,621 Views)
ACE - Master

Look at @Jeffster_1 post above and PM coustomer service.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (1,618 Views)
Community Manager

Hello Deb9297,

Thank you for sending us a private message with your information. One of our social media managers will contact you within 1-2 business days to help.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8 (1,513 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

the service was not good and i just started new service on april 23rd 2014 and i am very unhappy because, i was told i would not have any  charges if unsatisfied so far i have none because i just cancelled but im sure there will be problems so please contact me so i can tell u about my issues with service    tony   thank you!

[edited for privacy]

Message 7 of 8 (1,067 Views)
ACE - Professor

I would recommend you send a private message to AT&T Customer Care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

FYI, the moderator will remove your phone number, but for future reference, posting personal information on public sites is not a good idea. 

Message 8 of 8 (1,051 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.