2WIRE to Linksys G Router: one device works only occasionally, others not at all

Highlighted
Contributor

2WIRE to Linksys G Router: one device works only occasionally, others not at all

Hi,
I need to stretch my wifi capabilities out to a boat in the backyard. I'm not very tech minded but can follow simple directions.
We moved the att provided router as close to a wall as we can but because of the cement walls of the house it doesn't work. So we hooked up the Linksys wireless g router we had via lan ports and put the Linksys on the boat.
The iPhones and kindle pick up the Linksys but do not get internet connections.
The Toshiba laptop picks up the signal AND gets Internet access, however we have to go in to the house and reset the 2WIRE every day for it to work.
I can't figure out what were doing wrong since it works with the laptop and everything else wants to pick up the signal but can't access the internet.
Please help.
Thank you!
Message 1 of 2

Re: 2WIRE to Linksys G Router: one device works only occasionally, others not at all

@Odinedsel  wrote:
Hi,
I need to stretch my wifi capabilities out to a boat in the backyard. I'm not very tech minded but can follow simple directions.
We moved the att provided router as close to a wall as we can but because of the cement walls of the house it doesn't work. So we hooked up the Linksys wireless g router we had via lan ports and put the Linksys on the boat.
The iPhones and kindle pick up the Linksys but do not get internet connections.
The Toshiba laptop picks up the signal AND gets Internet access, however we have to go in to the house and reset the 2WIRE every day for it to work.
I can't figure out what were doing wrong since it works with the laptop and everything else wants to pick up the signal but can't access the internet.
Please help.
Thank you!

Smiley SurprisedWOW! Musta been a heck of a storm!Smiley Wink

I take it the boat doesn't actually go anywhere?

Just to verify, you used a LAN/Network port, not the WAN/Internet port on the Linksys to run your Ethernet cable back to the Uverse gateway?

You're probably having DHCP issues.

When you set up your Linksys you should start with a factory reset (press and hold reset button for 10 seconds) first.

Then connect your laptop to the Linksys with an Ethernet cable and reboot the Linksys.

Then access the config interface on the Linksys for setup.

• Do not enter any configuration in the "Internet Connection" section.
  • Assign the Linksys a local network address of 192.168.1.2.
  • Turn off the DHCP server on the Linksys.
  • Make the SSID (wireless network name) different than the Uverse gateway, and set your security level and password.

Disconnect your laptop and cycle the power on the Linksys, then connect the Ethernet cable from the Uverse gateway to a LAN/Network port on the Linsys and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support