Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 26, 2013
10:42:09 AM
View profile
227 Weather on Demand has been UPGRADED

It now has anything you want in weather (except Lot8).  Local, State,Regional radar, 10 day forecasts, new weather maps and more. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

It now has anything you want in weather (except Lot8).  Local, State,Regional radar, 10 day forecasts, new weather maps and more. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

227 Weather on Demand has been UPGRADED

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2013 7:23:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'll look again, but the last time I looked at my "local" radar on that thing I could see all or part of 13 states.  And I don't even live in New England.

I'll look again, but the last time I looked at my "local" radar on that thing I could see all or part of 13 states.  And I don't even live in New England.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 227 Weather on Demand has been UPGRADED

2 of 17 (1,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 7:25:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Okay, it is better.  My "local" radar only shows large amounts of 4 states now.  The "State" view shows the 13 state view.

The thunderstorm (which qualified for a Severe Thunderstrom Warning) that chased us off the Ultimate field was still only a small yellow dot on the "local".

Okay, it is better.  My "local" radar only shows large amounts of 4 states now.  The "State" view shows the 13 state view.

The thunderstorm (which qualified for a Severe Thunderstrom Warning) that chased us off the Ultimate field was still only a small yellow dot on the "local".

3 of 17 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 10:56:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jun 28, 2013 at 10:56:57 AM

It is better, but Accuweather's online interactive map can actually drill right down to my street, but that would be hard to put on WOD (that close it's useless). Smiley Very Happy

Chris

It is better, but Accuweather's online interactive map can actually drill right down to my street, but that would be hard to put on WOD (that close it's useless). Smiley Very Happy

Chris

[ Edited ]
4 of 17 (1,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 10:21:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Wow, big change!  Sarcasm on, then quickly off.  They moved the navigation from vertical to horizontal.  Ooh-wee!  Okay, enough snippy-ness.  There are more radar options.  The "local" radar is a bit more like a TV station's radar, about a 110 mile radius.  The "state" view, is what I would call "Regional" as it has views of 13 states (it is the old view) and the "Regional" view is what I would call "East of the Rockies."  From US 81 on the West, to aboit 200 miles into the Atlantic on the East and from the Mid Souith, to way up into Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.  The bad thing is that the radar is 30-35 minutes old.  Not good.

An improvement but a yawner - we need LOT8's.

Wow, big change!  Sarcasm on, then quickly off.  They moved the navigation from vertical to horizontal.  Ooh-wee!  Okay, enough snippy-ness.  There are more radar options.  The "local" radar is a bit more like a TV station's radar, about a 110 mile radius.  The "state" view, is what I would call "Regional" as it has views of 13 states (it is the old view) and the "Regional" view is what I would call "East of the Rockies."  From US 81 on the West, to aboit 200 miles into the Atlantic on the East and from the Mid Souith, to way up into Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.  The bad thing is that the radar is 30-35 minutes old.  Not good.

An improvement but a yawner - we need LOT8's.

5 of 17 (1,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 2:17:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

- we need LOT8's. 

Why?

dhascall wrote:

- we need LOT8's. 

Why?

6 of 17 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 1:18:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

- we need LOT8's. 

Why?

You are seriously asking?  Seriously.  Srsly?  

1. LIVE radar - not 35 minutes old (albeit 8 minutes old, if you are in between)

2. The forecasts are more detailed instead of an icon, showing a Cloud, sun and a lightning bolt for one day's forecast.

3. Accuweather?  Not so much.

4. LOT8's interfaces directly with text output feeds from the NWS.

5. etc... etc... etc...

Just keepin it real.

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

- we need LOT8's. 

Why?

You are seriously asking?  Seriously.  Srsly?  

1. LIVE radar - not 35 minutes old (albeit 8 minutes old, if you are in between)

2. The forecasts are more detailed instead of an icon, showing a Cloud, sun and a lightning bolt for one day's forecast.

3. Accuweather?  Not so much.

4. LOT8's interfaces directly with text output feeds from the NWS.

5. etc... etc... etc...

Just keepin it real.

7 of 17 (963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 4:55:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, that was a serious question.  The LOT8's technology was created in the 1980's.  In the 21st century there are so many faster and better ways to get detailed local weather information than to have to wait up to 10 minutes for it to appear on The Weather Channel. LOT8's predates the internet, smartphones, and other intelligent devices that provide detailed local weather information in an instant.

Yes, that was a serious question.  The LOT8's technology was created in the 1980's.  In the 21st century there are so many faster and better ways to get detailed local weather information than to have to wait up to 10 minutes for it to appear on The Weather Channel. LOT8's predates the internet, smartphones, and other intelligent devices that provide detailed local weather information in an instant.

8 of 17 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:52:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I am entitled to my opinion, correct?  I want U-Verse to carry LOT8's.  Just sayin'

I am entitled to my opinion, correct?  I want U-Verse to carry LOT8's.  Just sayin'

9 of 17 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 3:20:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion just as we all are.  I'm not saying that you should not ask for LOT8's, and I hope you get it, if that's what you want.  I'm just saying that LOT8's is technology that was developed in the 1980's, and today we have technologies that provide faster and better local weather information than LOT8's.  

Personally, I don't have a need for LOT8's.  I just wanted to know why some who have made the request seems to feel so strongly about the needed for it.

dhascall wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion just as we all are.  I'm not saying that you should not ask for LOT8's, and I hope you get it, if that's what you want.  I'm just saying that LOT8's is technology that was developed in the 1980's, and today we have technologies that provide faster and better local weather information than LOT8's.  

Personally, I don't have a need for LOT8's.  I just wanted to know why some who have made the request seems to feel so strongly about the needed for it.

10 of 17 (903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 9:03:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:05:08 PM

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

My "why" relates to any funds being allocated to putting lipstick on Accuweather's pig, could have been better spent on LOT8.  I do miss the LOT8's - as I've stated.  I tried the radar on  227, Sunday night, just to see if I needed to cover the patio furniture, before I turned in and the app crashed the DVR. Seriously.  And then my wife asked why I didn't check the local forecasts on the Weather Channel.  I explained to her just one more time.....  Srsly. Smiley Happy

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

My "why" relates to any funds being allocated to putting lipstick on Accuweather's pig, could have been better spent on LOT8.  I do miss the LOT8's - as I've stated.  I tried the radar on  227, Sunday night, just to see if I needed to cover the patio furniture, before I turned in and the app crashed the DVR. Seriously.  And then my wife asked why I didn't check the local forecasts on the Weather Channel.  I explained to her just one more time.....  Srsly. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
11 of 17 (886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 8:10:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Jul 4, 2013 at 8:14:11 AM

dhascall wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

I'll admit that UVerse weather on demand WAS terrible, but with the new upgrade it's much, much, much better.  Actually has a local radar (when I tried it just now it was only 5 min old), state radar, regional radar (old default) and regional satellite.  Also now has current, hourly and 10 day weather forecasts.  It was also very quick to load here.  I like that you are still standing by your LOT8s and would it be nice to have, yes, but with the improvements to UVerse WoD, my cell phone and the TWC app on my computer I wouldn't ever turn to the channel.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

dhascall wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

I'll admit that UVerse weather on demand WAS terrible, but with the new upgrade it's much, much, much better.  Actually has a local radar (when I tried it just now it was only 5 min old), state radar, regional radar (old default) and regional satellite.  Also now has current, hourly and 10 day weather forecasts.  It was also very quick to load here.  I like that you are still standing by your LOT8s and would it be nice to have, yes, but with the improvements to UVerse WoD, my cell phone and the TWC app on my computer I wouldn't ever turn to the channel.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

[ Edited ]
12 of 17 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 9:59:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually here in metro Detroit, the State view was our default before the upgrade, the Regional goes from N of Maine over to 1/2 ND, SD, NB, KS and OK. 

Here we have Lot8 24/7/365 on 950 WWJ.Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Actually here in metro Detroit, the State view was our default before the upgrade, the Regional goes from N of Maine over to 1/2 ND, SD, NB, KS and OK. 

Chris

13 of 17 (764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 11:49:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

Lol, Chris.  Glad that you a have a local, full service radio station, in 950, WWJ.  Is WJR 760, still news / talk or just talk?  Indy doesn't have a news / talk station any more - just a talker.  Sure they do Top of the hour news but most of the drive time is yucky poliotical talk.  I hear enough of that at work.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

Lol, Chris.  Glad that you a have a local, full service radio station, in 950, WWJ.  Is WJR 760, still news / talk or just talk?  Indy doesn't have a news / talk station any more - just a talker.  Sure they do Top of the hour news but most of the drive time is yucky poliotical talk.  I hear enough of that at work.

14 of 17 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 11:06:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

WJR is pretty much all conservative talk now, they do have News on the hour and traffic/weather during morning/evening rush hours.

WWJ has Accuweather and will come in anytime a warning will occur, not just on the 8's. Smiley Wink

Chris

dhascall wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

WJR is pretty much all conservative talk now, they do have News on the hour and traffic/weather during morning/evening rush hours.

WWJ has Accuweather and will come in anytime a warning will occur, not just on the 8's. Smiley Wink

Chris

15 of 17 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 9:42:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There is one great thing about the newly designed Weather App - and it has nothing to do with the weather.  The new, horizontal menu is what I call a floating one.  It has no boundaries at the far left or far right.  Most U-Verse menus basically have a "hard wall" at the far left or right.  For instance, if you go into the DVR menu.  Recorded programs by Time is at the far left and Series Recordings are at the far right.  If you are at the far left and want to go to the far right, you have to press the right arrow button like 5 or 6 times to go to the far right.  On other devices (PC's, DVD players and so on), a single left click will get you to the other side of the menu.  Try the 227 app and you will see what I mean.

I have complained about this before - since we know that this now works in Mediaroom, hopefully other menus will get that treatment.

There is one great thing about the newly designed Weather App - and it has nothing to do with the weather.  The new, horizontal menu is what I call a floating one.  It has no boundaries at the far left or far right.  Most U-Verse menus basically have a "hard wall" at the far left or right.  For instance, if you go into the DVR menu.  Recorded programs by Time is at the far left and Series Recordings are at the far right.  If you are at the far left and want to go to the far right, you have to press the right arrow button like 5 or 6 times to go to the far right.  On other devices (PC's, DVD players and so on), a single left click will get you to the other side of the menu.  Try the 227 app and you will see what I mean.

I have complained about this before - since we know that this now works in Mediaroom, hopefully other menus will get that treatment.

16 of 17 (627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 9:49:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

Oh, please, let this be true. *smiley hoping*

dhascall wrote:

Oh, please, let this be true. *smiley hoping*

17 of 17 (624 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments