2 U-verse boxes and only 1 cable outlet

Contributor

2 U-verse boxes and only 1 cable outlet

I currently have one U-verse box working in my living room. It is connected through a coax cable from a wall outlet. I have a second U-verse box and a second TV that I want to connect in the same room, but cannot because there isn't a second cable outlet. I tried splitting the coax coming from the wall to both U-verse boxes but the second box will not work under this situation.  Anyone know how to make this setup work?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (1,023 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 2 U-verse boxes and only 1 cable outlet

Where is the residential gateway (RG)?  Is it in the living room?  Is there a way for you to connect the second receiver with a patch cord?  Is this a temporary deal or permanent?  Temp you could run a patch cord from the RG to the second box and bring it up that way?  

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (1,005 Views)
ACE - Expert

alexmartin13 - The splitter you used may be inadequate. A splitter could work, or not.

As BeeBee says where is the RG. But, I would like to know more, How is the RG fed - COAX? If so there may be a diplexer. Do you have more TVs?? Where is the DVR? & how connected. Need to know all your connections.

That box is one that was installed for you?? & was previously working?? If it came from anywhere else, it will not work.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (993 Views)
Contributor

The RG and the DVR along with one other TV are in another room that is too far away to run a connection to the second box. The RG is coax fed. 

Initially, U-verse installed the RG, DVR (main box) and the second box in the living room while leaving me the third box and necessary cords because I hadn't figured out where I was going to put my third TV yet. 

What's weird with the splitter is that the already setup box still works after being split but the new box doesn't work.

Message 4 of 7 (986 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

alexmartin13 - Perhaps the new box was never provisioned. Try it as a replacement. If that is the problem, the splitter should work after it is provisioned. It is one they left?? Another choice is to swap the connections at the Diplexer (the two that do not go to the NID). & move the RG & DVR to the living room & connect both STBs via cat5.

Another thoght on the new box - Be sure to connect to the input & not the output to TV.

Message 5 of 7 (983 Views)
Employee

Just a thought, agree if new box was left ( how long ago) and never provisioned has probably dropped off your account, if remove working box and install new box with error messages box is dirty and needs to be reconfigured. If this is case recommend ordering wifi stb ($49 one time charge) with WAP to provide your desired results without wiring issue(s).
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7 (961 Views)
Community Support

Hi alexmartin13,

The initial setup you described should work. If not, aviewer may be right where the splitter you are using may be inadequate. To test it, with the same connections you are using for the receiver that is working, connect the one that is not working to that connection, so you'll be using the same port on the splitter and coax cable. If it is still not working, my thoughts is probably correct in that it is not provisioned any more. Let us know how it goes, and we will be glad to help.

Thank you,

David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 7 (925 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.