Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 12, 2009
7:06:14 AM
View profile
wireless connection on PS3 not sufficient

Lately my PS3 has been dropping connections during online gaming (occasionally freezing up the game for other players !!!!). It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes, it's fine, sometimes it's not. The connection is correct as I can go online, but it's just not fast enough.The errormessage that I get in game is something like "too much time between conection to back-end server".

Can I use any sort of splitter (or switcher) for the Cat5 wiring that isgoing to my U-verse DVR? All the other outputs on the residential gateway are fedding TVs in other rooms.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/ solutions.

Lately my PS3 has been dropping connections during online gaming (occasionally freezing up the game for other players !!!!). It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes, it's fine, sometimes it's not. The connection is correct as I can go online, but it's just not fast enough.The errormessage that I get in game is something like "too much time between conection to back-end server".

Can I use any sort of splitter (or switcher) for the Cat5 wiring that isgoing to my U-verse DVR? All the other outputs on the residential gateway are fedding TVs in other rooms.

wireless connection on PS3 not sufficient

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2009 7:24:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

mikeslps wrote:

You can take a CAT 5 Cable, from the PS3 Ethernet Port, to any STB or the RG, which ever is closer and plug it into the back open Ethernet Port, assuming the U-Verse install tech used Coax to connect you STB's in your home.  Every STB has an Ethernet Port, which if open, is a hardwire direct connection to the RG, which is a faster more reliable connection to the Internet, that the wireless functionality. 

I hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

mikeslps wrote:

You can take a CAT 5 Cable, from the PS3 Ethernet Port, to any STB or the RG, which ever is closer and plug it into the back open Ethernet Port, assuming the U-Verse install tech used Coax to connect you STB's in your home.  Every STB has an Ethernet Port, which if open, is a hardwire direct connection to the RG, which is a faster more reliable connection to the Internet, that the wireless functionality. 

I hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Re: wireless connection on PS3 not sufficient

2 of 7 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2009 8:45:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your response, but my STB (set top box?) is currently using the ethernet connection. It is not connected by coax. Did I also mention that the RG (residential gateway) is in a different roomfrom the STB and PS3 (although the STB and PS3 are right next to each other)? There are also enough wires going through the walls to choke a horse.

That's why I was hoping I could use a switcher (I assume a splitter would degarde the picture quality/ connection speed).

Anyone else have a solution for me?

Thanks for your response, but my STB (set top box?) is currently using the ethernet connection. It is not connected by coax. Did I also mention that the RG (residential gateway) is in a different roomfrom the STB and PS3 (although the STB and PS3 are right next to each other)? There are also enough wires going through the walls to choke a horse.

That's why I was hoping I could use a switcher (I assume a splitter would degarde the picture quality/ connection speed).

3 of 7 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2009 10:40:46 AM
(0)
Master

mikeslps wrote:

I would look into a switch from Linksys or another reputable mfg.

mikeslps wrote:

I would look into a switch from Linksys or another reputable mfg.

4 of 7 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2009 11:24:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mikeslps wrote:

A switch on the cat5e line feeding the STB might work, but could just as easily cause game and/or picture quality problems, so be aware this might happen. :smileywink:

Edit: Another cat5e line from the RG to that room, if possible, would work flawlessly for the ps3.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO
Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 06-12-2009 02:27 PM

mikeslps wrote:

A switch on the cat5e line feeding the STB might work, but could just as easily cause game and/or picture quality problems, so be aware this might happen. :smileywink:

Edit: Another cat5e line from the RG to that room, if possible, would work flawlessly for the ps3.

Chris

YRMV IMHO
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2009 11:58:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

mibrnsurg wrote:

mikeslps wrote:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

I don't have any more jacks left on my RG or I would do it. I may have an extra old switcher around. I'll give that a shot. Thanks to all who answered. If anyone else has any suggestions, keep em coming.

mibrnsurg wrote:

mikeslps wrote:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

I don't have any more jacks left on my RG or I would do it. I may have an extra old switcher around. I'll give that a shot. Thanks to all who answered. If anyone else has any suggestions, keep em coming.

6 of 7 (1,330 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2009 9:51:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Get a gigabit switch, 802.1p compliant like Netgear GS105, for the RG and plug in 2 TV feed cat5es into the switch and put the new ps3 cat5e in the now empty slot, keeping games and TV separate. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

Get a gigabit switch, 802.1p compliant like Netgear GS105, for the RG and plug in 2 TV feed cat5es into the switch and put the new ps3 cat5e in the now empty slot, keeping games and TV separate. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (1,330 Views)