will my internet be faster using an Ethernet connection?

Contributor

will my internet be faster using an Ethernet connection?

Currently I have connection speeds ranging from 22 to 54 Mbps. with wireless router from Uverse. I am not sure why this varies constantly and neither is Uverse tech able to answer me. What if I ran a Ethernet wire direct from uverse box to my Desk top? would my connection speed be faster and more stable?

What connection/setting, etc..Do I need to make this work?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (508 Views)
Guru

Re: will my internet be faster using an Ethernet connection?

Walter03 wrote:

Currently I have connection speeds ranging from 22 to 54 Mbps. with wireless router from Uverse. I am not sure why this varies constantly and neither is Uverse tech able to answer me. What if I ran a Ethernet wire direct from uverse box to my Desk top? would my connection speed be faster and more stable?

What connection/setting, etc..Do I need to make this work?

Thanks.

Wireless connection speeds can vary for all sorts of reasons.  In my house I usually get close to top speed, but there are certain null spots where it drops significantly.  Also used to have major issues whenever the microwave ran until I experimented and found a channel that wasn't badly impacted by it.

Keep in mind that none of this should matter with respect to your *Internet* speed.  Even if you have Max Turbo, your Internet speed is, at most, 24Mbps.  Would your *connection* speed be faster with a Fast Ethernet cable?  Absolutely.  Would your *Internet* speed be faster?  Probably not.

Message 2 of 3 (508 Views)
Contributor

Re: will my internet be faster using an Ethernet connection?

Thanks

Message 3 of 3 (508 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support