Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 27, 2008
6:29:51 AM
utexas.edu domain loads ver slowly

I just switched from DSL to Uverse. Since, I have found the site I use as home page in all of my web browsers loads extrememly slow. Most sites load in 2-5 seconds. utexas.edu takes anywhere from 1-3 minutes. This is pretty annoying.

Checked router, firewalls , browser settings, etc and have found no obvious cause.

Anyone run into a similar situation?

I just switched from DSL to Uverse. Since, I have found the site I use as home page in all of my web browsers loads extrememly slow. Most sites load in 2-5 seconds. utexas.edu takes anywhere from 1-3 minutes. This is pretty annoying.

Checked router, firewalls , browser settings, etc and have found no obvious cause.

Anyone run into a similar situation?

utexas.edu domain loads ver slowly

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 6:57:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
I just checked the site from my location (Houston, TX) and the site completely loaded in less than two seconds. I have the Elite Pro Internet package (6MB).
I just checked the site from my location (Houston, TX) and the site completely loaded in less than two seconds. I have the Elite Pro Internet package (6MB).

Re: utexas.edu domain loads ver slowly

2 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 1:34:11 PM
(0)
Master
took me about 3 seconds to load. also elite service...
Dennis
Dennis

3 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 6:51:27 PM
(0)
Expert

Same here on Elite...Hook 'em Horns!

showtime48 wrote:

Same here on Elite...Hook 'em Horns!

showtime48 wrote:

4 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 8:34:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I'm running with Express. tech support advises this is the result of moving from previous DSL Pro to Uverse Express. I am not sure this adds up.

Hope to hookem again this weekend.

Thanks all.

Well, I'm running with Express. tech support advises this is the result of moving from previous DSL Pro to Uverse Express. I am not sure this adds up.

Hope to hookem again this weekend.

Thanks all.

5 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 8:50:29 PM
(0)
Expert
I came from DSL Pro to UV Pro and UV was actually a bit faster (trial of Elite now).  Doesn't make sense to me either, what TS said. :smileysad:
I came from DSL Pro to UV Pro and UV was actually a bit faster (trial of Elite now).  Doesn't make sense to me either, what TS said. :smileysad:

6 of 25 (635 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 8:52:27 PM
(0)
Teacher
This really doesn't make sense.  I had a theory, but it would have only worked if you were an Aggie.  The theory was that the page took longer to load because it took longer to type the address using only index fingers.  Didn't say it was a real funny theory.  HEHEHEHE:smileyvery-happy:
This really doesn't make sense.  I had a theory, but it would have only worked if you were an Aggie.  The theory was that the page took longer to load because it took longer to type the address using only index fingers.  Didn't say it was a real funny theory.  HEHEHEHE:smileyvery-happy:

7 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2008 9:04:31 PM
(0)
Expert
You better watch it, bud...you know them is fighting words for a Longhorn! :smileyhappy:
You better watch it, bud...you know them is fighting words for a Longhorn! :smileyhappy:

8 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2008 6:10:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I'm gonna speak to the folks who are responsible for the network adn website here on the 40  acres and see if they can glean something.

I'll post their response.

Thanks,

Well, I'm gonna speak to the folks who are responsible for the network adn website here on the 40  acres and see if they can glean something.

I'll post their response.

Thanks,

9 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2008 9:14:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

It appears there's a reverse DNS issue somewhere in the at&t network. Here's my network folks' reponse:

From the info you provided and tests I have run, I can say this is
definitely a reverse DNS issue. AT&T nameservers are not properly
responding to DNS queries for which they are authoritative.

I will attempt to work with AT&T to get this issue resolved. We have
seen this exact same problem with other providers like Timer Warner
RoadRunner, and getting a resolution has taken quite some time.

More as it developes...

It appears there's a reverse DNS issue somewhere in the at&t network. Here's my network folks' reponse:

From the info you provided and tests I have run, I can say this is
definitely a reverse DNS issue. AT&T nameservers are not properly
responding to DNS queries for which they are authoritative.

I will attempt to work with AT&T to get this issue resolved. We have
seen this exact same problem with other providers like Timer Warner
RoadRunner, and getting a resolution has taken quite some time.

More as it developes...

10 of 25 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2008 10:31:54 AM
(0)
Guru

You might have your network guy contact apeface over on broadbandreports.com.  Apeface appears to be an AT&T NOC tech of some sort, with access to routing related stuff.

-- Rob

You might have your network guy contact apeface over on broadbandreports.com.  Apeface appears to be an AT&T NOC tech of some sort, with access to routing related stuff.

-- Rob

11 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2008 10:47:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Okay, thanks,
Okay, thanks,

12 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2008 5:30:31 PM
(0)
Teacher
about 1 second on Uverse Max.  and i'm connecting from Austin too.
about 1 second on Uverse Max.  and i'm connecting from Austin too.

13 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2008 3:01:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I posted this issue on broadbandreports.com unver U-verse and ATT Direct and got it resolved today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, I posted this issue on broadbandreports.com unver U-verse and ATT Direct and got it resolved today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

14 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2008 12:04:23 AM
(0)
Expert
Don't leave us in suspense. :smileywink:
Don't leave us in suspense. :smileywink:

15 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2008 6:07:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

I believe at least the subnet my RG is running in was missing from at least one name server in their network. I suspect it was causing more issues with other subscribers across the network as well. We load the website in 1-3 seconds now instead of 1-3 minutes. There was a post on broadbandreports.com/uverse forum that looked like it might have been from sone in teh at&t network connected with dns functions (dnsguy).

Ther you have it.

I believe at least the subnet my RG is running in was missing from at least one name server in their network. I suspect it was causing more issues with other subscribers across the network as well. We load the website in 1-3 seconds now instead of 1-3 minutes. There was a post on broadbandreports.com/uverse forum that looked like it might have been from sone in teh at&t network connected with dns functions (dnsguy).

Ther you have it.

16 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2008 3:04:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Just thought it would be helpful here in case someone else comes across a similar issue.  :smileywink:

Glad it's figured out!

Just thought it would be helpful here in case someone else comes across a similar issue.  :smileywink:

Glad it's figured out!

17 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2008 2:18:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having these exact same problems with my HSI service in Michigan. It's incredibly frustrating.

Tech came on Wednesday, and fixed my freezing TV, but the Internet is still slow. ESPN.com takes 2-3 minutes to load.

Tech came today, replaced the RG and the port in the U-verse box, but neither of those fixed the problem. Whether it was my Mac PRo or the tech's AT&T supplied Toughbook, hooking either up to the RG resulted in 2-3 minutes to load sites like ESPN.com and CNN.com. The internet is unusable and has been ever since my U-verse was installed over a month ago.

In case anyone can help with this, here's the IP address of my RG 99.185.59.107 

Message Edited by cblackstone on 11-09-2008 05:32 PM

I'm having these exact same problems with my HSI service in Michigan. It's incredibly frustrating.

Tech came on Wednesday, and fixed my freezing TV, but the Internet is still slow. ESPN.com takes 2-3 minutes to load.

Tech came today, replaced the RG and the port in the U-verse box, but neither of those fixed the problem. Whether it was my Mac PRo or the tech's AT&T supplied Toughbook, hooking either up to the RG resulted in 2-3 minutes to load sites like ESPN.com and CNN.com. The internet is unusable and has been ever since my U-verse was installed over a month ago.

In case anyone can help with this, here's the IP address of my RG 99.185.59.107 

Re: utexas.edu domain loads ver slowly - Reverse DNS Problems - 2-3 minutes to load ESPN.com

18 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2008 3:02:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Might want to post it over on broadbandreports. com. Sometimes folks from the ISP monitor those.  Good luck...
Might want to post it over on broadbandreports. com. Sometimes folks from the ISP monitor those.  Good luck...

Re: utexas.edu domain loads ver slowly - Reverse DNS Problems - 2-3 minutes to load ESPN.com

19 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2008 6:28:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

I did post it over there, thanks.

I've also been escalated to "Single Point of Contact" support, whatever that means. 

I did post it over there, thanks.

I've also been escalated to "Single Point of Contact" support, whatever that means. 

20 of 25 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2008 10:47:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
My Internet is also unusable since installation 2 days ago. Half of the sites I attempt dont load at all. This is definitely a ROUTING issue and NOT a problem with DNS. Sites resolve fine, but the traceroutes get lost at some point in the trace. Customer support has been abismal, and 2 tech visits have not helped either. They've swapped out my RG twice and they are still baffled by the problem loading some pages. Demanding my DSL back tomorrow!!!
My Internet is also unusable since installation 2 days ago. Half of the sites I attempt dont load at all. This is definitely a ROUTING issue and NOT a problem with DNS. Sites resolve fine, but the traceroutes get lost at some point in the trace. Customer support has been abismal, and 2 tech visits have not helped either. They've swapped out my RG twice and they are still baffled by the problem loading some pages. Demanding my DSL back tomorrow!!!

21 of 25 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2008 12:34:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

LuisM, when you called tech support did the agent set the time zone corresponding to your location? having incorrect time zone affect slow browsing and you may also experience occassional picture freezing and pixelation on your TV. also check if you have anti virus and anti spyware running because they affect your browsing capabilities as well

LuisM, when you called tech support did the agent set the time zone corresponding to your location? having incorrect time zone affect slow browsing and you may also experience occassional picture freezing and pixelation on your TV. also check if you have anti virus and anti spyware running because they affect your browsing capabilities as well

22 of 25 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2008 11:00:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yep, agent tried to blame it on the PC. Thing is I have 4 computers in my home which had no problem connecting to the Internet before Uverse came along. Also, the technician that came over connected his laptop to the RG with the same results. TV doesn't show pixelation or freezes though. A technician called me this morning saying that the problem was on their end and they were fixing it. Keeping my fingers crossed, though from my experience so far does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about their ability to take ownership of the issue. Will keep you posted.
Yep, agent tried to blame it on the PC. Thing is I have 4 computers in my home which had no problem connecting to the Internet before Uverse came along. Also, the technician that came over connected his laptop to the RG with the same results. TV doesn't show pixelation or freezes though. A technician called me this morning saying that the problem was on their end and they were fixing it. Keeping my fingers crossed, though from my experience so far does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about their ability to take ownership of the issue. Will keep you posted.

23 of 25 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2008 1:43:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep, it's a shame they can't keep their network updated fast enough with the deployment of so many users...

Good luck

Yep, it's a shame they can't keep their network updated fast enough with the deployment of so many users...

Good luck

24 of 25 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2008 6:34:39 PM
(0)
Guru

stryker wrote:

People need to stop posting this misinformation.

The time zone will NOT affect browsing speed and will NOT cause freezing/pixelation.

stryker wrote:

People need to stop posting this misinformation.

The time zone will NOT affect browsing speed and will NOT cause freezing/pixelation.

25 of 25 (284 Views)