Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 12, 2011
10:16:21 PM
u-verse router and ethernet distance
Edited by uvcus1001 on Mar 12, 2011 at 10:18:59 PM

anyone know why my network devices don't get a link light when I plug them into a new network cable that runs under my house about 110 feet?  However, if i plug the same cable into my linksys router they do get a link light.  Is the u-verse router just not powerful enough to go this distance?  or is it because of the cable i'm using?

Cables:

from u-verse router: 5 foot cat 5e 568b.2

main house cable about 100 foot cat 5e 568b.2

to device (xbox v1, or wdtvlive, or linksys router) 5 foot cat 5 e 568b.2

u-verse router:

3800HGV-B

anyone know why my network devices don't get a link light when I plug them into a new network cable that runs under my house about 110 feet?  However, if i plug the same cable into my linksys router they do get a link light.  Is the u-verse router just not powerful enough to go this distance?  or is it because of the cable i'm using?

Cables:

from u-verse router: 5 foot cat 5e 568b.2

main house cable about 100 foot cat 5e 568b.2

to device (xbox v1, or wdtvlive, or linksys router) 5 foot cat 5 e 568b.2

u-verse router:

3800HGV-B

u-verse router and ethernet distance

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 4:20:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

You can plug a 1000ft cable in and it will link light, but I think cat5 is rated to about 328ft. Anything beyond that and packets and data can get bad and is very unreliable.

I would say its possibly the cable or maybe the ends or wires crossed wrong on the ends.

100ft is more than fine. I just did a 200ft on my 3600 even for something and it was fine.

Double check all your ends, make sure the wires are matched correctly for each end. IF its more than one wire than maybe something ate at the wires. Try to get a cable tester if you can. Could always buy one and return it. (yea yea I know not ideal)

You can plug a 1000ft cable in and it will link light, but I think cat5 is rated to about 328ft. Anything beyond that and packets and data can get bad and is very unreliable.

I would say its possibly the cable or maybe the ends or wires crossed wrong on the ends.

100ft is more than fine. I just did a 200ft on my 3600 even for something and it was fine.

Double check all your ends, make sure the wires are matched correctly for each end. IF its more than one wire than maybe something ate at the wires. Try to get a cable tester if you can. Could always buy one and return it. (yea yea I know not ideal)

Re: u-verse router and ethernet distance

2 of 10 (760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 8:50:10 AM
(0)
Master

When you use the RG do you see the link lights flashing on the ethernet ports and double check your connections

make sure they are seated and swap ports for that matter try all 4 on the RG.

When you use the RG do you see the link lights flashing on the ethernet ports and double check your connections

make sure they are seated and swap ports for that matter try all 4 on the RG.

3 of 10 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 9:47:49 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by uvcus1001 on Mar 13, 2011 at 9:49:05 AM

No light on the RG port at all.  Also on my remote devices theres no link light on at all. If it were just wires crossed or wrong pinouts (which i checked and it's not) why would my linksys router work?  I tried all 4 ports RG.  Really strange i know.. any other suggestions? I'll have access to a network tester tomorrow night, but i'm pulling my hair out now. Smiley Happy

No light on the RG port at all.  Also on my remote devices theres no link light on at all. If it were just wires crossed or wrong pinouts (which i checked and it's not) why would my linksys router work?  I tried all 4 ports RG.  Really strange i know.. any other suggestions? I'll have access to a network tester tomorrow night, but i'm pulling my hair out now. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (704 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 10:15:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

So your saying the same wires work on the linksys? I thought you was meaning that you tested the ports on the RG with shorter wires.

Also its possible maybe you have them wired as a crossover? a lot of routers can auto adjust to this and maybe the RG cant thus no light... That said your pins would not be an invalid setup but could be for your setup. (not sure how network savy you are on the wiring of network cable)

But I am 100% sure power output has nothing to do with it. Think about how a tester works even. They put very little voltage on the line also and I have a cheap 10 year old tester that I have used on a 1000ft run before that had no hubs or nothing (yea this is a big no no but was not me who setup..) and it still tested and passed as far as that. Like I said data reliability is the only issue at long ranges. I ended up cutting the cable in half on that case and put hub in the middle to stabilize it.

I have a 200ft run in my house to a room that houses 48 computers from when I did hosting before the economy died and I can plug that into my RG into a server and it talks right away. Smiley Happy and these are also 5e wire, not that this matters. cat3 would link light even.

Anyway just double check pinout to make sure both sides are as should and not wired for crossover by mistake.

So your saying the same wires work on the linksys? I thought you was meaning that you tested the ports on the RG with shorter wires.

Also its possible maybe you have them wired as a crossover? a lot of routers can auto adjust to this and maybe the RG cant thus no light... That said your pins would not be an invalid setup but could be for your setup. (not sure how network savy you are on the wiring of network cable)

But I am 100% sure power output has nothing to do with it. Think about how a tester works even. They put very little voltage on the line also and I have a cheap 10 year old tester that I have used on a 1000ft run before that had no hubs or nothing (yea this is a big no no but was not me who setup..) and it still tested and passed as far as that. Like I said data reliability is the only issue at long ranges. I ended up cutting the cable in half on that case and put hub in the middle to stabilize it.

I have a 200ft run in my house to a room that houses 48 computers from when I did hosting before the economy died and I can plug that into my RG into a server and it talks right away. Smiley Happy and these are also 5e wire, not that this matters. cat3 would link light even.

Anyway just double check pinout to make sure both sides are as should and not wired for crossover by mistake.

5 of 10 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 2:35:25 PM
(0)
Master

Is this a continuous run with ends or is it wall plated at both ends? I also suspect if its wall plated that it may not be

568b at both ends causing no link, although lot of equipment is there are quite a lot that are not auto sensing. But your

tester will no doubt tell pass/fail on the pairs.

Is this a continuous run with ends or is it wall plated at both ends? I also suspect if its wall plated that it may not be

568b at both ends causing no link, although lot of equipment is there are quite a lot that are not auto sensing. But your

tester will no doubt tell pass/fail on the pairs.

6 of 10 (650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 3:18:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's not in the wall, but one side has a jack that is attached to the wall. The other side was a plug but the installer wired it incorrectly (he had solid orange in pin #1) so i turn it into a jack. I have looked at the other jack and it has color coded slots that match the wire colors. I also have store bought 5 foot cables that match the pinouts correctly, and work with the RG when directly attached.  I was using this site as a pinout reference: http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2/  I'm wondering if the installer broke the wires some how with his stable gun and the RG is more sensitive or something?  In a few minutes I'm going to pull the stables from the base boards and cut the wire and rewire the jacks. I just hope he didn't stable it too hard under the house (which he probably did...)

It's not in the wall, but one side has a jack that is attached to the wall. The other side was a plug but the installer wired it incorrectly (he had solid orange in pin #1) so i turn it into a jack. I have looked at the other jack and it has color coded slots that match the wire colors. I also have store bought 5 foot cables that match the pinouts correctly, and work with the RG when directly attached.  I was using this site as a pinout reference: http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2/  I'm wondering if the installer broke the wires some how with his stable gun and the RG is more sensitive or something?  In a few minutes I'm going to pull the stables from the base boards and cut the wire and rewire the jacks. I just hope he didn't stable it too hard under the house (which he probably did...)

7 of 10 (640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 3:29:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm going to call the installer, but am I right that there should never be a reason for the solid orange wire to be in pin #1 on a plug?

I'm going to call the installer, but am I right that there should never be a reason for the solid orange wire to be in pin #1 on a plug?

8 of 10 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 4:36:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry guys, i'm blind (just like the installer).  you were right, the pinouts of the jacks were wrong as well as the plugs.  Next time i will use a flashlight and put my todler in the next room when trying to verify pinouts under a piece of furniture Smiley Happy  again so sorry... and thanks! green/white vs blue/white sure look the same Smiley Tongue

Sorry guys, i'm blind (just like the installer).  you were right, the pinouts of the jacks were wrong as well as the plugs.  Next time i will use a flashlight and put my todler in the next room when trying to verify pinouts under a piece of furniture Smiley Happy  again so sorry... and thanks! green/white vs blue/white sure look the same Smiley Tongue

9 of 10 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 4:44:41 PM
(0)
Master

uvcus1001 wrote:

The important thing is you got it resolved.

uvcus1001 wrote:

The important thing is you got it resolved.

10 of 10 (614 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments