Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 15, 2011
10:32:18 PM
View profile
throttling port 119

i was trying to dl something from usenet tonight and was getting 100 kb/s where as i typically get about 1200 kb/s.  I tried a few different ports and then everything was back up and running.  is it likely ATT is throttling this port and the few others i tried?

i was trying to dl something from usenet tonight and was getting 100 kb/s where as i typically get about 1200 kb/s.  I tried a few different ports and then everything was back up and running.  is it likely ATT is throttling this port and the few others i tried?

throttling port 119

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 6:25:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by doctorisham on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:26:47 AM

There are other reports of this....have you tired running the sandvine tests to check for RST packets?

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools#

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25481733-port-119-being-throttled-

There are other reports of this....have you tired running the sandvine tests to check for RST packets?

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools#

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25481733-port-119-being-throttled-

Re: throttling port 119

[ Edited ]
2 of 11 (1,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 1:46:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by chnky18 on Mar 16, 2011 at 1:50:25 PM

ran a glasnost test and says it indicates no throttling.  But my usenet server has no issues and i tried different computers and different newsreaders.  So i have to think att is throttling.

ran a glasnost test and says it indicates no throttling.  But my usenet server has no issues and i tried different computers and different newsreaders.  So i have to think att is throttling.

ran a glasnost test and says it indicates no throttling....

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (1,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 1:47:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Based on the other reports, I think you're right on. You were able to get it to work by moving to a different port, right?

Based on the other reports, I think you're right on. You were able to get it to work by moving to a different port, right?

Re: nost

4 of 11 (1,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 1:49:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

yeah had to change ports...but of the 8 ports i can use...only 1 worked...the other were either throttled or couldnt get a conection.

yeah had to change ports...but of the 8 ports i can use...only 1 worked...the other were either throttled or couldnt get a conection.

5 of 11 (1,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 3:58:08 PM
(0)
Scholar
I can confirm the exact same results. I have a 12Mbps account and suddenly the speed was capping at 3Mbps when I always got the full 12Mbps from my server before. Only one of the ports still gives the full speed.
I can confirm the exact same results. I have a 12Mbps account and suddenly the speed was capping at 3Mbps when I always got the full 12Mbps from my server before. Only one of the ports still gives the full speed.

6 of 11 (1,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 4:03:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, safe to say AT&T is throttling those ports... at least you know... I highly doubt you could get them to do anything though.. i mean, it is usenet and all Smiley Happy

Well, safe to say AT&T is throttling those ports... at least you know... I highly doubt you could get them to do anything though.. i mean, it is usenet and all Smiley Happy

7 of 11 (1,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 7:27:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for your info doc usenet is more than just illegal movies and music, which is not why i use usenet.  usenet has been given a dirty name now because "pirates" use it and bit torrent as well.  

is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for your info doc usenet is more than just illegal movies and music, which is not why i use usenet.  usenet has been given a dirty name now because "pirates" use it and bit torrent as well.  

is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for yo...

8 of 11 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 6:41:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm well aware that usenet isn't all copyright content, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. The closest you might get is if you claim you are getting throttled connections across all applications on that port. That might prompt them to look into it, but you'd have to get high enough in the network management team for them to care.

I'm well aware that usenet isn't all copyright content, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. The closest you might get is if you claim you are getting throttled connections across all applications on that port. That might prompt them to look into it, but you'd have to get high enough in the network management team for them to care.

Re: is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for yo...

9 of 11 (1,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 8:02:24 AM
(0)
Explorer

You could try SSL. Typically it is over port 443 for usenet which is the same port as https.

You could try SSL. Typically it is over port 443 for usenet which is the same port as https.

10 of 11 (1,418 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 12:35:43 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Dean_Gullberry on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:42:15 AM

Believe it or not, 443 is throttled too, which is sort of ridiculous. Now there's all sorts of situations where we basically won't be getting what we pay for.

Believe it or not, 443 is throttled too, which is sort of ridiculous. Now there's all sorts of situations where we basically won't be getting what we pay for.

[ Edited ]
11 of 11 (998 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments