throttling port 119

Teacher

throttling port 119

i was trying to dl something from usenet tonight and was getting 100 kb/s where as i typically get about 1200 kb/s.  I tried a few different ports and then everything was back up and running.  is it likely ATT is throttling this port and the few others i tried?

Message 1 of 11 (1,702 Views)
Mentor

Re: throttling port 119

[ Edited ]

There are other reports of this....have you tired running the sandvine tests to check for RST packets?

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools#

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25481733-port-119-being-throttled-

Message 2 of 11 (1,655 Views)
Teacher

ran a glasnost test and says it indicates no throttling....

[ Edited ]

ran a glasnost test and says it indicates no throttling.  But my usenet server has no issues and i tried different computers and different newsreaders.  So i have to think att is throttling.

Message 3 of 11 (1,602 Views)
Mentor

Re: nost

Based on the other reports, I think you're right on. You were able to get it to work by moving to a different port, right?

Message 4 of 11 (1,599 Views)
Teacher

yeah had to change ports...but of the 8 ports i can use...only 1 worked...the other were either throttled or couldnt get a conection.

Message 5 of 11 (1,597 Views)
Highlighted

I can confirm the exact same results. I have a 12Mbps account and suddenly the speed was capping at 3Mbps when I always got the full 12Mbps from my server before. Only one of the ports still gives the full speed.
Message 6 of 11 (1,554 Views)
Mentor

Well, safe to say AT&T is throttling those ports... at least you know... I highly doubt you could get them to do anything though.. i mean, it is usenet and all Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11 (1,550 Views)
Teacher

is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for yo...

is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for your info doc usenet is more than just illegal movies and music, which is not why i use usenet.  usenet has been given a dirty name now because "pirates" use it and bit torrent as well.  

Message 8 of 11 (1,510 Views)
Mentor

Re: is throttling allowed under the T&C of uverse? for yo...

I'm well aware that usenet isn't all copyright content, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. The closest you might get is if you claim you are getting throttled connections across all applications on that port. That might prompt them to look into it, but you'd have to get high enough in the network management team for them to care.

Message 9 of 11 (1,452 Views)
Explorer

You could try SSL. Typically it is over port 443 for usenet which is the same port as https.

Message 10 of 11 (1,424 Views)

[ Edited ]

Believe it or not, 443 is throttled too, which is sort of ridiculous. Now there's all sorts of situations where we basically won't be getting what we pay for.

Message 11 of 11 (1,004 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.