Helpful Links

samsung 1590 bluray and uverse ethernet connection

Contributor

samsung 1590 bluray and uverse ethernet connection

thinking about buying the samsung 1590 bluray with netflix and pandora capability, my question is - instead of running a seperate ethernet cable to plug into the bluray, can i split the ethernet cable before it gets to the uverse box, then connect to uverse and the bluray?  The reason why I ask is because the tv is in a large room and it will be a real pain to run another ethernet cable, and I really do not want to go with a wifi connection due to quality.thanks in advance
Message 1 of 33
Teacher

Re: samsung 1590 bluray and uverse ethernet connection

the short answer is yes but you will need to do it to both sides

in a 10/100 ethernet connection the only pairs used are the orange and the green

so if it is just a ethernet cable with a male end then this would be hard to split but if it is going to a female connection such as a wallplate or a baseboard box you just simply need to get 2 more punchdown blocks leave the orange and green alone punch the blue down as if it was green and the brown as if it where orange on the punchdown block this will need to be done by the rg/switch as well as by your blue ray and another jumper plugged into an ethernet port on the rg/switch to get the signal to your new connection for your blue-ray

hopefully my poor description is good enough to get you what you want otherwise if you accidentilly pull the orange or green pair off the punchdown your stb will not work and if you cant get it working yourself att would bill you if they have to come out

good luck

Message 2 of 33
Professor

An ethernet switch will do what you want without having to play with splicing cables.

I have this switch in my family room with my DVR, a Vonage adapter and another computer connected to it. I have had zero issues with any of the equipment connected to the switch.
Message 3 of 33
Teacher

good call i even mentioned a switch in my post and it didnt occur to me to put one right there i must be tired

if you follow this path make sure it is a switch not a router or you might run into router behind router issues otherwise this would be a very easy solution for you nice going callmeox

Message 4 of 33
Mentor

Just use the ethernet-out port on your uverse box to connect your BR DVD ... works perfect. You may have to go in the setup of your gateway and declare the IP of the DVR a "DMZ" (that's what the option is called ... I know).

Works perfectly and super fast.

Message 5 of 33
Professor

From their description, the OP has an ethernet connected setup, not coax/HPNA. There are no spare ethernet ports on ethernet connected STB's. For HPNA subs, your recommendation works well.
Message 6 of 33
Contributor

thanks for your help, i went to radio shack and bought the 1600 model and netgear ethernet switch, it went smoothly, plug and practically, thanks again

Message 7 of 33
Teacher

NO just simply put NO........ DO NOT PLUG A ETHERNET DEVICE INTO A STB THAT IS BEING FED OFF COAX

yes you will get the device to work it will be on the internet.... it will be considerbly slower..... if the stb is reset it will stop working since it will try to grab signal from the ethernet first coax 2nd..... you will most likely experience issues if you try to use both the stb and device plugged into it at the same time

Message 8 of 33
Mentor

I have a Samsung BR and use the STB's ethernet port - no problems whatsoever in any situation. Connection is fast and I stream the movies in HD when availble without the slightest problem. 100% reliable. Plug'n Play ... easy enough to try when in doubt, right ?

Message 9 of 33
Professor

fieldtech04 wrote:

NO just simply put NO........ DO NOT PLUG A ETHERNET DEVICE INTO A STB THAT IS BEING FED OFF COAX

yes you will get the device to work it will be on the internet.... it will be considerbly slower..... if the stb is reset it will stop working since it will try to grab signal from the ethernet first coax 2nd..... you will most likely experience issues if you try to use both the stb and device plugged into it at the same time

The real world experiences of users here are counter to your claims.
Can you elaborate on why using the STB and a device connected to it at the same time would cause issues?

Message 10 of 33
Mentor

After reading this I tried it and it works just fine, actually faster than the switch I was using.  Does not effect anything with the TV either.

Message 11 of 33
Master

be warned that u may have to unplug it to reboot the stb/dvr properly

(it may hang up the device at reboots)

fwiw

randy

Message 12 of 33
Mentor

Actually on my PC a warning from the RG came up and I resolved it and it put it in DMZ for me.

Message 13 of 33
Teacher

real world example would me being an actual uverse field tech and the experience i gave is from going on repairs where people have tried to do that i bill every time trip charge and if i have to run a wire to fix it all the fees that apply with that as well

mainly its the boxes arnt designed for that but i believe its bandwith issues each box is allocated so much bandwith and if you try to use both the stb and another device you are exceeding that allocation

Message 14 of 33
Mentor

Did a STB reboot and no problems.  When the BR player is off no action on the ethernet port so I does not even recognize it.  I have a new switch on the way fron newegg just incase I run into problems but so far absolutely none.  I had the STB on with an HD channel tuned in and was DL'ing a HD movie on the BR via Netflix and box were working fine.  Until I experience a problem I will leave it connected.

Message 15 of 33
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support