Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 5, 2010
3:37:18 PM
remote does not respond + dvr wont record + others...

I am a brand new customer.  My wife wanted to consolidate services to reduce costs.  We had been using Cox internet and phone and DirecTV sat.  Let me start with writing that I was impressed with the install for the most part.  The guy that did the install knew his wiring job and was a pleasant fellow.  I do have some complaints about the install though.  Namely my speakers were pushed over and sitting on the floor behind the TV set, the job took all day, and the meticulous wiring job I had done was turned into a rats nest.  ...gotta break some eggs to make an omlet I guess...

But here's the real problem.

The Internet is okay when it works but it is intermittent quality.
1.  several times now the Internet connection has dropped down to 300 and 600Kbps.  I've been documenting the stats through screen captures and time stamps.  I've found I need to reboot the 2wire router in order to restore service to ~5.6Mbps AND be able to use my telephone.

2.  A few of my friends get a "service has been disconnected" message when they try to call me.  Others get through with no problem.

The vip1225 is utter garbage.  Here's why:
1.  The remote control does not work reliably past 3 feet away.  I sit about 10 feet away from the TV and when I try to change a channel it only works maybe 20% of the time.  I have tried this with two different remotes.  After reading online I found out that a lot of people have this problem.  There is a fix for this actually; apply masking tape on the front of the IR receiver of the vip1225.  Holy smoke...that actually works...and proves that the vip1225 is utter garbage.

2.  It recorded one movie like it was supposed to but after a day the movie disappeared.  There are no shows recorded onto the device.  When I try to record anything it comes back and tells me it cannot record anything and that I should delete some items to make room.  Two things about this: A) it's seems that it is supposed to delete older material to make room for newer material through some process of elimination that is programmed into the unit  B) there is not one **bleep** thing recorded on the unit to erase.  Utter garbage.

3.  When I reboot the vip1225 I have read on some forums that it takes about 10 minutes to come up.  I have servers made in the late 80's that take only 5 minutes to come up...it's 2010 for crying out loud.  Utter garbage.  I tried rebooting it 20 minutes ago and it still has not turned back on.  I just keep getting three little grey and white dots on the screen.  garbage.

4. When I am at my other TV in my bedroom I tried to play the one movie that actually got recorded.  It would play for about 5 seconds and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds.

What's with this crap?  Definitely not ready for prime time.

I am a brand new customer.  My wife wanted to consolidate services to reduce costs.  We had been using Cox internet and phone and DirecTV sat.  Let me start with writing that I was impressed with the install for the most part.  The guy that did the install knew his wiring job and was a pleasant fellow.  I do have some complaints about the install though.  Namely my speakers were pushed over and sitting on the floor behind the TV set, the job took all day, and the meticulous wiring job I had done was turned into a rats nest.  ...gotta break some eggs to make an omlet I guess...

But here's the real problem.

The Internet is okay when it works but it is intermittent quality.
1.  several times now the Internet connection has dropped down to 300 and 600Kbps.  I've been documenting the stats through screen captures and time stamps.  I've found I need to reboot the 2wire router in order to restore service to ~5.6Mbps AND be able to use my telephone.

2.  A few of my friends get a "service has been disconnected" message when they try to call me.  Others get through with no problem.

The vip1225 is utter garbage.  Here's why:
1.  The remote control does not work reliably past 3 feet away.  I sit about 10 feet away from the TV and when I try to change a channel it only works maybe 20% of the time.  I have tried this with two different remotes.  After reading online I found out that a lot of people have this problem.  There is a fix for this actually; apply masking tape on the front of the IR receiver of the vip1225.  Holy smoke...that actually works...and proves that the vip1225 is utter garbage.

2.  It recorded one movie like it was supposed to but after a day the movie disappeared.  There are no shows recorded onto the device.  When I try to record anything it comes back and tells me it cannot record anything and that I should delete some items to make room.  Two things about this: A) it's seems that it is supposed to delete older material to make room for newer material through some process of elimination that is programmed into the unit  B) there is not one **bleep** thing recorded on the unit to erase.  Utter garbage.

3.  When I reboot the vip1225 I have read on some forums that it takes about 10 minutes to come up.  I have servers made in the late 80's that take only 5 minutes to come up...it's 2010 for crying out loud.  Utter garbage.  I tried rebooting it 20 minutes ago and it still has not turned back on.  I just keep getting three little grey and white dots on the screen.  garbage.

4. When I am at my other TV in my bedroom I tried to play the one movie that actually got recorded.  It would play for about 5 seconds and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds, and then stop for 5 seconds, and then play for 5 seconds.

What's with this crap?  Definitely not ready for prime time.

remote does not respond + dvr wont record + others...

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 3:43:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Click on this link and download the Realtime app.  Post screen shots of your stat so they can be reviewed.  It could be that you are getting a lot of errors.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Click on this link and download the Realtime app.  Post screen shots of your stat so they can be reviewed.  It could be that you are getting a lot of errors.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: remote does not respond + dvr wont record + others...

2 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 3:56:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am not a windoze user.

I am not a windoze user.

3 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:11:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You use a Mac huh?

You use a Mac huh?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:11:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

At this point I think Internet connection problems are the least of my worries.  This DVR solution is non-sense.  The vip1225 unit appears to be in an infinite reboot loop.

At this point I think Internet connection problems are the least of my worries.  This DVR solution is non-sense.  The vip1225 unit appears to be in an infinite reboot loop.

5 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:12:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It could be your dvr is failing, call the phone number in my sig to go directly to ts.  Request a tech be sent out to replace your dvr.

It could be your dvr is failing, call the phone number in my sig to go directly to ts.  Request a tech be sent out to replace your dvr.

6 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:13:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep - I like OSs that I can rely on: Mac (BSD underpiinings), Linux, and OpenBSD.  There's just something about reliability that I rely on.  lol

Yep - I like OSs that I can rely on: Mac (BSD underpiinings), Linux, and OpenBSD.  There's just something about reliability that I rely on.  lol

7 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:17:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is very understandable the you rely on reliability.  That has been a good way to go for me also.:smileywink:

It is very understandable the you rely on reliability.  That has been a good way to go for me also.:smileywink:

8 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:24:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yea - I talked to tier 1 about it and they wanted to send me a new remote control.  WRT the network issue...they told me to reboot the unit.  That fixes it but then it seems to degrade about a day later until I restart the unit.

As for the replacing of the DVR I'm pretty sure the DVR units that u-verse pushes on folks is crap.  I'll get another vip1225 I'm sure (aftert 3 to 5 business days - aka 7 days.) and I'm willing to bet it will be crap too.  I am really unhappy about the idea that I have to have a peice of masking tape over the IR receiver on the vip1225 to get it to accept commands from a remote.  That's just plain ghetto.  Plus I hate the fact that SD and HD channels are split up in the way they are.  DirecTV is definitely better...plus I can actually record TV shows with that unit.  lol.

Thanks for your time but I think at this point I'm mainly interested in getting a warning out to users that the hardware that comes with the service is merely unreliable.  Admittedly folks like you are doing a responsive job...and I applaud that. I can imagine you know that the problems are great...I see your postings all over these forums.  It's got to be a tough job you are doing dealing with complaints.

Yea - I talked to tier 1 about it and they wanted to send me a new remote control.  WRT the network issue...they told me to reboot the unit.  That fixes it but then it seems to degrade about a day later until I restart the unit.

As for the replacing of the DVR I'm pretty sure the DVR units that u-verse pushes on folks is crap.  I'll get another vip1225 I'm sure (aftert 3 to 5 business days - aka 7 days.) and I'm willing to bet it will be crap too.  I am really unhappy about the idea that I have to have a peice of masking tape over the IR receiver on the vip1225 to get it to accept commands from a remote.  That's just plain ghetto.  Plus I hate the fact that SD and HD channels are split up in the way they are.  DirecTV is definitely better...plus I can actually record TV shows with that unit.  lol.

Thanks for your time but I think at this point I'm mainly interested in getting a warning out to users that the hardware that comes with the service is merely unreliable.  Admittedly folks like you are doing a responsive job...and I applaud that. I can imagine you know that the problems are great...I see your postings all over these forums.  It's got to be a tough job you are doing dealing with complaints.

9 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:28:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have you tried turning off the "light sensor" on your tv?  This has resolved the remote control issue for several people.

Have you tried turning off the "light sensor" on your tv?  This has resolved the remote control issue for several people.

10 of 16 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:47:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

lol - ghetto seems to be a common addition to my vocabulary since going to u-verse.  I should not have to downgrade my tv in order for my dvr to work.  But to your point I did try - ultimately I ended up using two strips of blue masking tape from a painting project I did recently.  Then the remote started working.  It's embarrasing for both me and AT&T.

I might keep u-verse if they could drop by in the next few hours to give me a replacement vip1225.  If I had to wait for 3 to 5 business days then I will just call DirecTV and turn them back on in about 20 minutes.

lol - ghetto seems to be a common addition to my vocabulary since going to u-verse.  I should not have to downgrade my tv in order for my dvr to work.  But to your point I did try - ultimately I ended up using two strips of blue masking tape from a painting project I did recently.  Then the remote started working.  It's embarrasing for both me and AT&T.

I might keep u-verse if they could drop by in the next few hours to give me a replacement vip1225.  If I had to wait for 3 to 5 business days then I will just call DirecTV and turn them back on in about 20 minutes.

11 of 16 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 5:01:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

aha!  found a solution.  U-Verse - cancelled.

aha!  found a solution.  U-Verse - cancelled.

12 of 16 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 12:24:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Make sure you get the info to return the equipment.  They won't send anyone out to pick it up.  fyi

Make sure you get the info to return the equipment.  They won't send anyone out to pick it up.  fyi

13 of 16 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 1:39:43 PM
(0)
Expert

Guess this means Uverse was too complicated for a this person who doesn't use Windows, LOL!

And no offense to other Mac people here as they seem to be doing just fine. :smileywink:

Guess this means Uverse was too complicated for a this person who doesn't use Windows, LOL!

And no offense to other Mac people here as they seem to be doing just fine. :smileywink:

14 of 16 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 7:55:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've got an old powerbook g4 I'll loan you. I'll even show you how to use the command line little kitty. I did cancel u-verse TV. The good news is DirecTV lowered their price and gave me an extra DVR (I only had one previously); sans the additional cost and lowered their price to match AT&T. That's customer service. They're showing up with brand new equipment in the morning. So, before the buffer overflow from this message crashes your box rainbow-kitty I'd like to share the conversation that I recorded with rc058w(RICHARD) at AT&T about the remote control and the vip1225. It was eye opening... We were having a pretty good conversation. AT&T's RICHARD was actually a pretty funny guy. Most of the AT&T people I've dealt with were pretty decent human beings actually. That's why I thought at first he was joking about the 3 foot limit... They just don't have a lot at their disposal to help really fix the problems was the takeaway I had. I tried to talk to a supervisor to get better resolution but they would never make one available. This is the conversation we had last night after waiting 10 minutes for the DVR to reboot after the disaster recovery (Down-OK-Plug the power cord in) session. "You: do you want to address the remote control issue? rc058w(RICHARD): May I know what your concern is regarding the remote? You: in its default configuration I can only change channels with the remote about 20% of the time. I read on line that some folks use masking tape over the IR port to make it so the remote control can actually control the receiver. You: right now in order to change channels with the remote I have to have masking tape on the front of the unit so that I can change channels. You: it looks retarded... rc058w(RICHARD): I see. Thank you for the information. rc058w(RICHARD): The maximum distance of the remote to the receiver should be 3 feet in order for it to control the device accordingly. You: lol - are you telling me I can't be any further than 3 feet away from the unit? rc058w(RICHARD): Since it is using infrared, it should not be more than 3 feet. You: haha - I'm recording this you know. You: so I have to be no more than 3 feet away in order to change channels. rc058w(RICHARD): Yes, that is correct, Mr. xxxxxxxx." I did confirm that he was a windows user and that he does not hold a degree in EE. j/k It was pretty funny when I canceled over the phone. The lady on the other end didn't even try to stop the cancellation and at one point after going through the list of deficiency reports said, "I don't blame you." Obviously IR remote controls should work past 3 feet and the hardware should have been replaced by a technician within a day...not a week. More power to those who have no problem. Bravo Zulu to you, really. lol at the AK laser totting **bleep**. that's rad btw - pew pew pew (er mew mew mew). I'm sorry you have to spend a lot of time troubleshooting your system. I bet if you gave it a shot you might actually enjoy unix. There's nothing like being able to control your OS and the way it works; without a GUI. Cheers
I've got an old powerbook g4 I'll loan you. I'll even show you how to use the command line little kitty. I did cancel u-verse TV. The good news is DirecTV lowered their price and gave me an extra DVR (I only had one previously); sans the additional cost and lowered their price to match AT&T. That's customer service. They're showing up with brand new equipment in the morning. So, before the buffer overflow from this message crashes your box rainbow-kitty I'd like to share the conversation that I recorded with rc058w(RICHARD) at AT&T about the remote control and the vip1225. It was eye opening... We were having a pretty good conversation. AT&T's RICHARD was actually a pretty funny guy. Most of the AT&T people I've dealt with were pretty decent human beings actually. That's why I thought at first he was joking about the 3 foot limit... They just don't have a lot at their disposal to help really fix the problems was the takeaway I had. I tried to talk to a supervisor to get better resolution but they would never make one available. This is the conversation we had last night after waiting 10 minutes for the DVR to reboot after the disaster recovery (Down-OK-Plug the power cord in) session. "You: do you want to address the remote control issue? rc058w(RICHARD): May I know what your concern is regarding the remote? You: in its default configuration I can only change channels with the remote about 20% of the time. I read on line that some folks use masking tape over the IR port to make it so the remote control can actually control the receiver. You: right now in order to change channels with the remote I have to have masking tape on the front of the unit so that I can change channels. You: it looks retarded... rc058w(RICHARD): I see. Thank you for the information. rc058w(RICHARD): The maximum distance of the remote to the receiver should be 3 feet in order for it to control the device accordingly. You: lol - are you telling me I can't be any further than 3 feet away from the unit? rc058w(RICHARD): Since it is using infrared, it should not be more than 3 feet. You: haha - I'm recording this you know. You: so I have to be no more than 3 feet away in order to change channels. rc058w(RICHARD): Yes, that is correct, Mr. xxxxxxxx." I did confirm that he was a windows user and that he does not hold a degree in EE. j/k It was pretty funny when I canceled over the phone. The lady on the other end didn't even try to stop the cancellation and at one point after going through the list of deficiency reports said, "I don't blame you." Obviously IR remote controls should work past 3 feet and the hardware should have been replaced by a technician within a day...not a week. More power to those who have no problem. Bravo Zulu to you, really. lol at the AK laser totting **bleep**. that's rad btw - pew pew pew (er mew mew mew). I'm sorry you have to spend a lot of time troubleshooting your system. I bet if you gave it a shot you might actually enjoy unix. There's nothing like being able to control your OS and the way it works; without a GUI. Cheers

15 of 16 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 8:25:56 PM
(0)
Expert

Comment was made based on such a quick exit, and seems you had already made up your mind to leave.  :smileytongue:

Comment was made based on such a quick exit, and seems you had already made up your mind to leave.  :smileytongue:

16 of 16 (567 Views)