Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Feb 6, 2011
9:57:14 PM
View profile
recording the super bowl

After working all day I came back to watch the Super bowl as I had set my U-verse up to record it. Imagine my superise when the recording ended durring the commercials at the two minute warning. Someone must have thought that it was too bad of a game to watch to the end. When I had dish sporting events would record till the end of the event. Maybe next time I had better set it up to just record untill it runs out of space.

After working all day I came back to watch the Super bowl as I had set my U-verse up to record it. Imagine my superise when the recording ended durring the commercials at the two minute warning. Someone must have thought that it was too bad of a game to watch to the end. When I had dish sporting events would record till the end of the event. Maybe next time I had better set it up to just record untill it runs out of space.

recording the super bowl

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 10:41:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The games was scheduled in the Guide for 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm CST.  When you scheduled the recording, did you not extend the end of the recording since this was a live program and the actual end time was unknown? 

I had Dish Network prior to U-verse, and I also had to add extra time to the end of a live program.  The Dish DVR did not some how know when a live program actually ended.

The games was scheduled in the Guide for 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm CST.  When you scheduled the recording, did you not extend the end of the recording since this was a live program and the actual end time was unknown? 

I had Dish Network prior to U-verse, and I also had to add extra time to the end of a live program.  The Dish DVR did not some how know when a live program actually ended.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: recording the super bowl

2 of 19 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 12:39:08 AM
(0)
Master

Same thing here and lost the last 2 minutes of the game. Bummer....

I was so tired from working all day was falling asleep. I just hit record at the beginning or 3rd quarter and then woke during the post game show. Was indeed surprised to find the last 2 min missing.

I know Texasguy, it is a good idea to set record for the next program/time slot in case the game runs over. Was just too tired to think that far ahead... Smiley Sad

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

Same thing here and lost the last 2 minutes of the game. Bummer....

I was so tired from working all day was falling asleep. I just hit record at the beginning or 3rd quarter and then woke during the post game show. Was indeed surprised to find the last 2 min missing.

I know Texasguy, it is a good idea to set record for the next program/time slot in case the game runs over. Was just too tired to think that far ahead... Smiley Sad

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

3 of 19 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 10:09:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

I recorded the Post Game show and Glee to be safe - Live broadcasts tend to be unreliable in meeting their schedule in the guide (especially superbowl).  

I was so upset a few years back when I recorded American Idol finale, padded a 1/2 hour on the end, and it STILL ran too long.   A 2 hour show to announce a winner, and they failed their objective.   I almost swore off American Idol (and probably should have... haha).

I recorded the Post Game show and Glee to be safe - Live broadcasts tend to be unreliable in meeting their schedule in the guide (especially superbowl).  

I was so upset a few years back when I recorded American Idol finale, padded a 1/2 hour on the end, and it STILL ran too long.   A 2 hour show to announce a winner, and they failed their objective.   I almost swore off American Idol (and probably should have... haha).

4 of 19 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 10:13:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is always a good idea to extend the end time of a sporting event.  It seems that they rarely end at the time shown in the Guide.  I make it a habit to extending them by 30 - 60 minutes or more depending on the event.

It is always a good idea to extend the end time of a sporting event.  It seems that they rarely end at the time shown in the Guide.  I make it a habit to extending them by 30 - 60 minutes or more depending on the event.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 19 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 11:06:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

What a bummer!  Not only did we miss the last two minutes of the game we also lost the FOX channel the game was on.  Nothing but a BLACK screen for over a half an hour.  How did Verse experts loose the recording as well as the channel? It's bad enough that the picture "freezes" up,  or turns to colored hips for a long period of time.

If we hadn't kept our old analog Tv we would have missed the last of the post game show!

I left Time Warner a long, long time ago and then so called Direct TV when they wouldn't let me subscribe to HDTV.  What's left out there to sign up for?

What a bummer!  Not only did we miss the last two minutes of the game we also lost the FOX channel the game was on.  Nothing but a BLACK screen for over a half an hour.  How did Verse experts loose the recording as well as the channel? It's bad enough that the picture "freezes" up,  or turns to colored hips for a long period of time.

If we hadn't kept our old analog Tv we would have missed the last of the post game show!

I left Time Warner a long, long time ago and then so called Direct TV when they wouldn't let me subscribe to HDTV.  What's left out there to sign up for?

6 of 19 (847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 11:12:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

William79 wrote:

How did Verse experts loose the recording as well as the channel?

Huh?

William79 wrote:

How did Verse experts loose the recording as well as the channel?

Huh?

7 of 19 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 5:27:44 PM
(0)
Master

The snafu of the DVR recording stopping with 2 min left in the Super Bowl reminded me of the "Heidi Game"! Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

BTW, just happened to be watching that game when they switched over to the 2 hour Heidi special. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

The snafu of the DVR recording stopping with 2 min left in the Super Bowl reminded me of the "Heidi Game"! Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

BTW, just happened to be watching that game when they switched over to the 2 hour Heidi special. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

8 of 19 (788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 5:48:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, the difference is that with the "Heidi Game", NBC stopped broadcasting the game and switched to the movie.  Anyone who had a problem with yesterday's Super Bowl recording did not extend the end time of the recording beyond the end time listed in the Guide.

Well, the difference is that with the "Heidi Game", NBC stopped broadcasting the game and switched to the movie.  Anyone who had a problem with yesterday's Super Bowl recording did not extend the end time of the recording beyond the end time listed in the Guide.

9 of 19 (783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 5:50:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I planned to but forgot.  When I looked up the game was over.  I was hoping I got it all but oh well I'll live.

I planned to but forgot.  When I looked up the game was over.  I was hoping I got it all but oh well I'll live.

10 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 7:21:19 PM
(0)
Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Really? Well that will never happen again! I'm talking about them never stopping a game being broadcast before it's over. Smiley Very Happy

Uniblurb3

texasguy37 wrote:

Really? Well that will never happen again! I'm talking about them never stopping a game being broadcast before it's over. Smiley Very Happy

Uniblurb3

11 of 19 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 5:16:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Happens all the time, when stations have to leave the early game at 4:15 PM ET by NFL mandate.

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Happens all the time, when stations have to leave the early game at 4:15 PM ET by NFL mandate.

12 of 19 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 6:04:13 PM
(0)
Master

JefferMC wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

I realize you are probably correct JefferMC but believe there are exceptions to the 4:15 PM NFL switch mandate. I was just trying to kid Texasguy in that post where we both knew I should have extended my recording time.

The "Heidi Game" does have some impact on the broadcast of NFL local team games as can be read below. (wiki)

Mid-game switches

During the afternoon games, CBS and Fox may switch a market's game to a more competitive one mid-game, particularly when a contest becomes one-sided. For this to occur, one team must be ahead by at least 18 points in the second half.

Due to the "Heidi Game", a primary media market must show its local team's game in its entirety and secondary markets usually follow suit for away games. Also, secondary markets (for home games) or any others where one team's popularity stands out may request a constant feed of that game, and in that case will not be switched.

If the local team is scheduled for the late game of a doubleheader, it has importance over any early game. If 4:15 p.m. arrives, and the early game is ongoing, the primary affiliate (all games) and secondary affiliates (road games) are required to cut off the early game and switch to the start of the local team's game. Additional affiliates, including secondary affiliates for home games, may also request to cut off an early game for a nearby team's late start. This is common in Texas where many affiliates which are not considered secondary markets by the NFL still switch out of early games in order to get to the start of a 4:15 Dallas Cowboys game.

When a local team plays the early game of a doubleheader, that game holds importance over any late game. If the local team's early game runs beyond 4:15 p.m., the primary and secondary markets stay on until completion, and the late game is joined in-progress.

Uniblurb3

JefferMC wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

I realize you are probably correct JefferMC but believe there are exceptions to the 4:15 PM NFL switch mandate. I was just trying to kid Texasguy in that post where we both knew I should have extended my recording time.

The "Heidi Game" does have some impact on the broadcast of NFL local team games as can be read below. (wiki)

Mid-game switches

During the afternoon games, CBS and Fox may switch a market's game to a more competitive one mid-game, particularly when a contest becomes one-sided. For this to occur, one team must be ahead by at least 18 points in the second half.

Due to the "Heidi Game", a primary media market must show its local team's game in its entirety and secondary markets usually follow suit for away games. Also, secondary markets (for home games) or any others where one team's popularity stands out may request a constant feed of that game, and in that case will not be switched.

If the local team is scheduled for the late game of a doubleheader, it has importance over any early game. If 4:15 p.m. arrives, and the early game is ongoing, the primary affiliate (all games) and secondary affiliates (road games) are required to cut off the early game and switch to the start of the local team's game. Additional affiliates, including secondary affiliates for home games, may also request to cut off an early game for a nearby team's late start. This is common in Texas where many affiliates which are not considered secondary markets by the NFL still switch out of early games in order to get to the start of a 4:15 Dallas Cowboys game.

When a local team plays the early game of a doubleheader, that game holds importance over any late game. If the local team's early game runs beyond 4:15 p.m., the primary and secondary markets stay on until completion, and the late game is joined in-progress.

Uniblurb3

13 of 19 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 9:58:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Going back to the original subjects of programs stopping recording at the scheduled time (and the program runs long), see my response, here.  AT&T. Comcast, Dish and so on, do not have staff that monitors guides for long running programs.

Going back to the original subjects of programs stopping recording at the scheduled time (and the program runs long), see my response, here.  AT&T. Comcast, Dish and so on, do not have staff that monitors guides for long running programs.

14 of 19 (581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 10:56:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The guide is not generated by ATT but by a 3rd party company.  fyi

15 of 19 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 12:44:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

Right - but even they do not have someone who monitors programs 24/7/365 for long running programs.  So a word to the wise, if you are scheduling a sporting event or a show that runs after one - add more time.  Smiley Very Happy

RCSMG wrote:

Right - but even they do not have someone who monitors programs 24/7/365 for long running programs.  So a word to the wise, if you are scheduling a sporting event or a show that runs after one - add more time.  Smiley Very Happy

16 of 19 (554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 12:48:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

William79 wrote:

William79, is this the first time you have had the channel completely disappear?  Also, have you called Care about the freeze ups and the color problem?  Small freeze ups can happen, they should not very often or for very long.  The other two items I haven't experienced and checked the problem reports log for the time in question and didn't see anything. 

I would suggest calling Care, if you haven't already, and let them look at your line and make sure there isn't another problem.  If you already have can you let me know what they said?

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

William79 wrote:

William79, is this the first time you have had the channel completely disappear?  Also, have you called Care about the freeze ups and the color problem?  Small freeze ups can happen, they should not very often or for very long.  The other two items I haven't experienced and checked the problem reports log for the time in question and didn't see anything. 

I would suggest calling Care, if you haven't already, and let them look at your line and make sure there isn't another problem.  If you already have can you let me know what they said?

17 of 19 (551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 1:15:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

txnroger wrote:

William79 wrote:

Roger: I can not find my original post but this is what I (and some others) call the "Black Screen of Live TV."  Live TV displays a black screen with no sound on certain channels that are being recorded (usually).  Oddly enough, the program records perfectly.  Reboot the DVR and it is fixed.  Another DVR oddity, like Black Screens of Death and shows stopping recording part way through.  It can be frustrating!

txnroger wrote:

William79 wrote:

Roger: I can not find my original post but this is what I (and some others) call the "Black Screen of Live TV."  Live TV displays a black screen with no sound on certain channels that are being recorded (usually).  Oddly enough, the program records perfectly.  Reboot the DVR and it is fixed.  Another DVR oddity, like Black Screens of Death and shows stopping recording part way through.  It can be frustrating!

18 of 19 (544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 1:25:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

Ok, let me check into it with the DVR guys and see what they say.  This could be a fix in the upcoming client, but not sure.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Ok, let me check into it with the DVR guys and see what they say.  This could be a fix in the upcoming client, but not sure.

19 of 19 (535 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments