"no signal. check the external input" AND another equipment issue?

Professor

"no signal. check the external input" AND another equipment issue?

I recently bought a 3DTV made by Sony.

Occasionally, when watching TV, the U-Verse signal dies, and i'll see a message saying "no signal. check the external input or select another input using the input button."  As far as I know, there were no related messages on my previous Sony HDTV, non-3D.

I have the U-Verse box connected to the TV via HDMI.

I *think* this happens when switching input sources (such as between TV, DVD, or Wii), but i'm not 100% sure.

What do I need to do to prevent this from happening again?

In addition, when I re-boot the box, it'll go to some seemingly-random channel that I haven't tuned to in quite a while.  I would like the box to re-boot to the same channel that I was just on.  I think I may have previously posted on this issue and that's it's one of those "things" that AT&T knows about, but we're all waiting on a fix.  True??

Message 1 of 6
Scholar

Re: "no signal. check the external input" AND another equipment issue?

I had the same problem with my Samsung Hi-Def.   I unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the tv and plugged it back in and haven't had the problem since.  Hard to believe that did the trick, though.

Message 2 of 6
Expert

Maybe the HDMI cable is not fully seated in the TV.  Unplugging it and plugging it in again might do the trick.

Message 3 of 6
Expert

It also could be a handshake issue.  While the tv and the stb are turned on disconnect the hdmi cable from the stb and press and hold the power button until the lights flash.  Wait about 5 minutes and reconnect the hdmi cable.  That should resolve any handshake issues.  You could also connect the tv to ths stb using the red, green, and blue component cable.  You will need to connect the audio out of the stb to the tv using red and white rca cables.  You will still be able to watch hd channels.

Message 4 of 6
Professor

kryptonite wrote:

In addition, when I re-boot the box, it'll go to some seemingly-random channel that I haven't tuned to in quite a while.  I would like the box to re-boot to the same channel that I was just on.  I think I may have previously posted on this issue and that's it's one of those "things" that AT&T knows about, but we're all waiting on a fix.  True??

Does anyone have a guess about this one?

Message 5 of 6
Scholar

I've noticed the same thing whenever I reboot my boxes. I think it's just the way they are programed.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support