postfix mail server and mailman mailing list on ubuntu with uVerse

Highlighted

postfix mail server and mailman mailing list on ubuntu with uVerse

Howdy

I just got a server switched from AT&T DSL to uVerse with static ip addresses. Here is a blog post that documents what I did

learn from history: switching to AT&T uVerse

I'm running ubuntu 6.04 on the server but will upgrade to 9.04 (or 8.04...) and I think things will be the same just newer.

What I did in a nutshell from the blog

==============

If you are running postfix and mailman on ubuntu and have static ip addresses with uVerse:

1. use their nameservers - 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1
  2. authenticate your server with theirs
easy...
right...

How I set up postfix to authenticate

List what you have in case you break something:
   postconf relayhost smtp_sasl_auth_enable smtp_sasl_password_maps smtp_sasl_security_options

set up a password file:
sudo vi /etc/postfix/password
  [smtp.att.yahoo.com]:submission attuverseusername:smileytongue:assword

and hash it:
   sudo postmap hash:/etc/postfix/password

make sure only root can read/write the password file

then set the relayhost and the smtp_sasl parameters:

sudo postconf -e "relayhost = [smtp.att.yahoo.com]:submission"
   sudo postconf -e "smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes"
   sudo postconf -e "smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/password"
   sudo postconf -e "smtp_sasl_security_options ="

and then reload and smile smile smile:
   sudo /etc/init.d/postfix reload

Postfix SASL Howto
postfix docs
Postfix relayhost - Freelock Knowledge Base
nice short article

I set relayhost to NOT check DNS and to use port 587. The password file is set up using the same info. I removed info from smtp_sasl_security_options and will look into adding what it was back but empty works.

==========

I like what I see. I think there is still an issue with dns, and will look in the forums for more info on the 2wire routers to see what others found

or I may take a long nap

Gary

Message 1 of 4 (1,419 Views)

Re: postfix mail server and mailman mailing list on ubuntu with uVerse

AWSOME!!  I To have a Ubuntu server.. but I didnt get a static IP.  I Use DynDNS.   I Love UVERSE iNET just for the reason of they dont block ports.  I will be setting my mail server up soon.  I was told by the installer that I could request that port 25 not be blocked.  But Im thinking about using a Port 25 redirect service http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_mail/outbound_port_25_unblock.html    I can recive mail but I cannot send out. So im sure its the port..  but then again im a amature when it comes to setting mail servers up.  Never really messed with it before. 

I have Ampache running, as well as gallery 2.   That way I can listen to my music using ampache and upload and view home photos.  Any other suggestions or tips for having a home server using ubuntu and uverse Id love to hear them.

Also isnt there a way to use another port besides port 25?  there has to be right?  Seeing how gmail uses like 997 or something like that? I know gMail does not use port 25.. So how would you config your server to use something other than 25 if thats possible or is there more routing involved?

Message Edited by sammyboy405 on 05-09-2009 01:19 PM
Message 2 of 4 (1,419 Views)

sammyboy405: How does DynDNS work for you? We have always got a static ip.

I am using postfix for my MTA  (Mail transfer agent - Wikipedia) and the settings I gave show how to use port 587. That's the usual port and has been working for me for several days. My wife's mailing lists are not big, but they do give the server something to think about when the conversation gets going. I suggest using port 587 and seeing if that does the trick.

and...

I'm going to work with the latest ubuntu server (9.04) now that the mail is flowing. We have media servers on our home network, mostly MediaTomb on linux and TVersity and Windows Media Player on Windows. I do not open them to the internet. I'll see how things work with ubuntu 9.04.

Gary

Message 3 of 4 (1,419 Views)

gary.frederick wrote:
sammyboy405: How does DynDNS work for you? We have always got a static ip.

I am using postfix for my MTA  (Mail transfer agent - Wikipedia) and the settings I gave show how to use port 587. That's the usual port and has been working for me for several days. My wife's mailing lists are not big, but they do give the server something to think about when the conversation gets going. I suggest using port 587 and seeing if that does the trick.

and...

I'm going to work with the latest ubuntu server (9.04) now that the mail is flowing. We have media servers on our home network, mostly MediaTomb on linux and TVersity and Windows Media Player on Windows. I do not open them to the internet. I'll see how things work with ubuntu 9.04.

Gary

DynDns isa free service. But if you want to use a Custom DNS they charge I think 19 bucks a year.   But I have it set in my router to contact DynDns every time my ATT IP Changes.   www.dyndns.com   there is also  no-ip.com as well they do the same things.. When i Get back I will get into more detail.

Message 4 of 4 (1,419 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.