pause live TV, accidentally bump remote, become enraged

Teacher

pause live TV, accidentally bump remote, become enraged

It seems way too dangerous to pause live TV without recording.   I have a dog that is deft at stepping on or knocking over remotes.  My son is 17 months old, and the U-verse remote is pretty **bleep** amazing what with all the pretty lights and everything.      We were watching Hoarders on a 30 minute delay since I had paused it earlier, and I proceeded to drop the remote on ground and changed channels.    Quickly press the "last" button,  but, alas,   bye bye to the last 30 minutes, never to be seen again.

What do you guys do about this???

Message 1 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

Re: pause live TV, accidentally bump remote, become enraged

Watch that episode the next time it airs.

Message 2 of 19 (652 Views)
Teacher

Well yeah you could do that lol.   I can't be the only one who has a problem with that.   I think the DVR should be recording not just the stream you are watching, but also the channel that was "last"      

It would eat into the bandwidth but maybe they could make it an option you could turn on if you wanted.   

Message 3 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

I doubt most would want it to work that way because this would require that 2 streams be used.  With a limitation of 4 streams total on the system, only 2 streams would be left for watching/recording TV.  If it worked this way, it really would create a big issue when THDVR Phase 3 rolls out and the ability to buffer programs exists on the other STB's in the household. 

The U-verse DVR does not have "tuners" because it is IPTV and not cable TV.  Thus, the DVR does not work like some of the cable company DVR's.

Message 4 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

DTV will lose the buffer if you change to a third channel.  As stated it has two tuners so you can go back and forth between to channels and not lose the buffered programming.  ATT will not be doing anything about the fact that the buffer is lost if you change the channel.  It would be nice if they did but I would perfer they spend the time and energy working on a bigger issue.

Message 5 of 19 (652 Views)
Scholar

RCSMG, I know what you are saying.  But it would be nice if there was a held buffer for "last".  It could be low priority so other streams take a higher priority.

I've been bitten by the bump remote - lose buffer problem myself.  With my previous system, it was always nice that I could recover it via 'last'.

Still, not a huge deal.  I've gotten used to hitting record on any program I deem critical.  The only problem is cleaning the cruft from the recorded programs section.  But it is a decent work around.

Message 6 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

You are not the only victim of the "bump" issue.  I have been watching a program after I paused it for whatever reason and accidentally hit the remote and change the channel.:smileysurprised:  It is the pits, and we all have to deal with it.  At least there is a workaround.

Message 7 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

Have learned here to put the remote out of reach, from myself and the cats, while watching something (when not surfing).

Message 8 of 19 (652 Views)
Scholar

AT&T could add a feature that DIsh Network has where anytime the DVR was in time shift mode (i.e. paused, replayed/rewinded live TV), it would pop up a warning informing them that the action requested (change channel) will switch the DVR back to live mode and in essence, clear the DVR buffer

Message 9 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Have learned here to put the remote out of reach, from myself and the cats, while watching something (when not surfing).

Most of the time the remote is out of the way, but there are times when we forget and my leg will hit it.  Or somebody else will sit on it.  Good thing it doesn't affect something really serious.

Message 10 of 19 (652 Views)
Expert

And pets and people accidentally sitting on remotes can kill batteries fast (personal experience). :smileyvery-happy:

Guess they could put a lock switch on the remote.

Message 11 of 19 (584 Views)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

And pets and people accidentally sitting on remotes can kill batteries fast (personal experience).

I'm it's not too great for the remote either!

Message 12 of 19 (584 Views)
Expert

No kidding!

Message 13 of 19 (584 Views)
Expert

I bought a new pack of batts from Costco yesterday.  I am good there, I just have to stop sitting on the remote altogether.

Message 14 of 19 (584 Views)
Expert

Watch those furniture cushions, too; they like to eat stuff, smush the remote, make the batteries die. :smileyhappy: 

Message 15 of 19 (584 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.