need static IP for surveillance dvr to be web accessible?

Tutor

need static IP for surveillance dvr to be web accessible?

I have a surveillance dvr (made by Intellicam, not to be confused with the u verse DVR) I'm trying to access from the internet. I should be able to access it with Internet Explorer, and can do so from my local network (using http://192.168.1.100/).

If I set the DVR in the DMZplus (and reboot the DVR), I get confirmation from the gateway/router under "firewall details" that the DVR's "public" ip is now the same as my gateway. I can ping and get a response, but am not sure if it is actually the gateway responding.  I believe when the DVR is in the DMZplus, all ports should be forwarded right through to the DVR, but am unable to connect to it using that "public" address in a browser window (whether on the local network or off).

I also tried adding a "user defined application" in which I opened only the ports I needed but couldn't get it to work that way either.

From my search, it seems people who are trying to connect for gaming have sucess with either or both of these options. 

From this thread, however:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=13986

it appears I may actually need a static IP to do what I want to do? Can anyone confirm or have any other suggestions? 

It also seems like sometimes when I revisit the router configuration page it hasn't kept my setting of having the DVR in the DMZ, but I believe at least some of the time it was set long enough for me to confirm the above was not working.

I have already had several pretty frustrating calls with customer service.  The first representative had no idea.  After I called back (and waded through the menus again) another rep kept putting me on hold to confer with the "level 2" rep.  I was encouraged, but ultimately without explanation they tranferred me to someone else who informed me I could pay $99 to have them resolve this one issue, or $160 to have unlimited support for 6 months.  Needless to say considering the amount I already pay for service I was incensed.

Anyways, please excuse the venting ^.   Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this has been covered somewhere (couldn't find it in my search).

Message 1 of 21 (2,218 Views)
Expert

Re: need static IP for surveillance dvr to be web accessible?

You do not need to place the surveillance DVR in the DMZ.  Opening the web server port (port 80) will be sufficient.

1. Go to the RG using http://192.168.1.254
2. Go to Firewall -> Firewall Settings
3. Select your DVR from the pull-down menu. This will probably be by name, but you may have to select it by IP address.
4. Click the Allow Individual Applications button.
5. Select the "Web Server" application from the list and click the Add button.
6. Click the Done button at the bottom.

You should now be able to access the DVR from the Internet, by connecting to the outside IP address of your U-Verse RG. (If you need to find out what your outside IP is, click the Broadband Link button at the top of the RG's interface. The IP address is listed there.)  Note that you cannot test the application from inside your own network, because the RG does not support loopback connections. You must test it from the Internet.

Message 2 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Tutor

Thanks SomeJoe.

This worked to the extent that I can now access the DVR login externally (which is great progress), however upon attempting to log in I do receive a  "fail to connect the device in sub connection" dialogue box (which I assume is generated by the DVR).

The DVR vendor tells me this can be resolved by forwarding port 37777 to the DVR IP address in the router. I am not currently on that network, and can't experiment with where to set this from here.  Once back on that network, will I be able to modify the "web server" application to also forward this port, or should I create my own custom app?

Also, this may be unrelated (although suspicious), but after "allowing" the web server application for the DVR (only) last nite, I was able to carry on browsing as usual.  This morning however, any attempt to access a non secure site (http as opposed to https) was routed to

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=HURL08

where they ultimately failed to connect.  https sites seemed to work just fine.

I did restart both the computer and the gateway, and confirmed none of the other browser settings appear to have been changed. I should also mention that I had previously hardcoded the dns servers as suggested here (and did not adjust these setttings):

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=12677 

as I had also been experiencing the dns issue.  Again, that may or may not be related.

I would appreciate your suggestions regarding this as well.

Thanks

Message 3 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Expert

I doubt the firewall has anything to do with inability to open HTTP sites.  Most likely this is a DNS issue.  I would change the DNS servers back to automatic temporarily to avoid any complications, and when everything is working properly, change them back to either the AT&T DNS servers or to a 3rd party DNS service like OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

To pair together ports 80 and 37777, you need to create a custom app.  Go into the firewall and remove the Web Server application from the security DVR.  Then use the following directions:

1. Go to the RG using http://192.168.1.254
2. Go to Firewall -> Firewall Settings
3. Select your security DVR from the pull-down menu. This will probably be by name, but you may have to select it by IP address.
4. Click the Allow Individual Applications button.
5. Click the blue link that says Add a New User-Defined Applicaton.
6. For the application name, type "Security DVR".
7. Select the TCP protocol.
8. Put 80 in both the From and To port fields.
9. Leave the Protocol Timeout and and the Map to Host Port boxes blank.
10. Leave the application type pull-down set to "None".
11. Click the Add Definition button.
12. The port definition will now appear in the definition list.
13. Repeat steps 8-12 to add the second definition for port 37777 instead of 80.
14. Click the Back button to go back to the firewall settings page.
15. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to reselect your security DVR and the Allow Individual Applications button.
16. Select the application "Security DVR" from the list and click the Add button.
17. Click the Done button at the bottom.

Message 4 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Tutor

So I removed the web server app, and then added the custom application in which ports 80 and 37777 were forwarded (both from and to) for TCP per your instructions, and still had the same issue. "fail to connect the device in sub connection"

It occurred to me that possibly I should do the same for UDP, so I added a second application identical with the exception that UDP was selected.  I am awaiting a response from the vendor whether he knows whether UDP is, in fact, the correct protocol for either or both ports.

But regardless, with both my TCP and UDP custom applications selected (concurently), I still get the same error. Is it possible the RG is unhappy that it is being asked to handle two protocols for the same ports (i.e. do I need to identify which protocol is correct and/or go through all the iterations so that only one is selected per port in a single custom app)?

Also, for the second time now, after toggling these settings I experienced the issue in which all http traffic was routed to

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=HURL08

As last time, the steps to resolve were to power cycle the RG. Upon subsequent log in to the RG via the web interface, it informed me that it appeared I was attempting to run a router behind a router which was creating a conflict it needed to resolve.  I was essentially forced to allow it to resolve the conflict, at which point it identified my PC as the router (behind the router) and placed it into the DMZ.   I then removed my PC from the DMZ also via the web interface, at which point I was able to continue browsing normally.

I understand at this point it may very well be an issue with the DVR itself, but welcome your thoughts on the above and any additional suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Message 5 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Expert

The custom application should allow you to put the same port number as both a TCP and UDP transport, and the firewall should have no problem with that.

If you have Internet Connection Sharing turned on on your computer, turn it off.  This could cause the router behind router message.

If you keep getting the error from the DVR, try putting the DVR in the DMZ, which will allow all ports.  You will have to reboot the DVR so that it gets the outside IP address via DHCP if you do this.

Message Edited by SomeJoe7777 on 12-04-2009 01:40 PM
Message 6 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Tutor

Right, so placing the DVR in the DMZ (and rebooting it) is what I had tried originally.  I now recognize (thanks to one of your previous replies) that I will not be able to access the DVR from the external address (of the RG) from within my network (no loopback), but I had also tried accessing from off network with the DVR in the DMZ and been unable to connect.

It was when I allowed the "web server" application, that I was first able to see the DVR (from off network, with the IP address of my RG) just not log in.  I am also able to see it with the custom app, just not log in, and am beginning to suspect a DVR issue at this point. 

Can you please confirm that the DVR needs to be set on DHCP regardless of whether I am allowing a custom application or putting it in the DMZ?

also regardless of whether its in the DMZ or I'm using a custom app, it is the address of the gateway I should be using to connect (from off network of course)?

and finally, from the DVRs standpoint, the behavior of putting it in the DMZ v. allowing a custom app with the ports forwarded should be the same?  If the two scenarios are exactly the same, I don't understand why I can "see" the DVR when it's "allowed" as an app, but not when it's in the DMZ.

I appreciate your continued patience and support.

Message 7 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Expert

Yes, the U-Verse RG is designed to have all devices behind it use DHCP.  When you put a device in the DMZ, the RG will hand out the external address via DHCP.  Your DVR will have to do that properly before you'll be able to connect.

If your DVR has problems getting the address via DHCP, put it in the DMZ with the RG, then manually assign the outside IP address via static addressing.  This is a bit tricky, because you'll need to do a traceroute from your desktop to see the next upstream router's IP address (this would normally be in the DHCP packet), and then you'll need to infer the proper subnet mask that would encompass the upstream router's address.

Yes, you should be attempting to connect to the outside IP of the RG regardless of whether the DVR is in the DMZ or if you have a custom application for it.

Theoretically, the DMZ should allow the DVR to work, no matter what, as long as the DVR is meant to operate over network address translation (although even that shouldn't matter when it's in the DMZ).  If the custom app was created with all the ports that are required, that should work properly also.  (I believe we don't know all the ports).

Try the DMZ again, but make sure the DVR gets the outside IP address before you test.

Message 8 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Tutor

So it turns out this was working with ports 80 and 37777 forwarded (TCP only) in a custom app....just not from the network from which I was trying to access it. I am assuming either there is some conflict with the port(s), or the firewall is blocking one or both. That will teach me to try to troubleshoot from a network in which I have no control or access to settings.  Unfortunately that is the network from which I primarily want to view the DVR. 

It was suggested to me that I could use a remote desktop application to login to the PC on my local network that is viewing the DVR.  In that case, I imagine I would also have to enable the "web service" in the RG for that PC, however when I attempt to do so, I get an "unknown error" from the RG firewall settings web interface (tried several times).

Can only one network device be set to pass applications at once (i.e. because I have the custom app selected for the DVR, I can't select another app for the PC)?

Message 9 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Guru

joef711 wrote:

It was suggested to me that I could use a remote desktop application to login to the PC on my local network that is viewing the DVR.  In that case, I imagine I would also have to enable the "web service" in the RG for that PC, however when I attempt to do so, I get an "unknown error" from the RG firewall settings web interface (tried several times).

Can only one network device be set to pass applications at once (i.e. because I have the custom app selected for the DVR, I can't select another app for the PC)?

No, you would enable the "XP Remote Desktop" application for the PC you want to remote to, not the web server app.

Multiple ports can be forwarded from multiple devices, but you can't forward the same port from multiple devices.

Message 10 of 21 (2,217 Views)
Tutor

I would like to know if a solution was ever found for this problem.  I have exactly the same situation (Intellicam security DVR) and I am going through the same frustrations.  Has anyone been able to make this work?  Thanks.

Message 11 of 21 (1,716 Views)
Tutor

MIne works with either ports 80 and 37777 forwarded (TCP only) in a custom app, or with the DVR in the DMZplus. A couple things to note. It is can be challenging, if not impossible, to verify this from the local network.  My understanding is there is no loopback capability in the RG.  Assuming your sw/settings are similar to mine, from within the local network, you will access with http://192.168.1.100/.  You should get the login screen, etc (says "WEB SERVICE").

From off network, you should access with the ip of your RG, which should forward directly to the DVR if you've correctly configured.  Note it will not work with Firefox, and if you use IE8, you need to add the ip to the trusted zone, install the .cab file when prompted, and click the compatibility tab.

For me it turned out the non local (work) network I was trying to troubleshoot from blocks one or both of the ports I need. It was actually working just fine from most other networks and I didn't know it. Good luck.

Message 12 of 21 (1,716 Views)
Expert

joef711 wrote:

It is can be challenging, if not impossible, to verify this from the local network.  My understanding is there is no loopback capability in the RG.  Assuming your sw/settings are similar to mine, from within the local network, you will access with http://192.168.1.100/.  You should get the login screen, etc (says "WEB SERVICE").

From off network, you should access with the ip of your RG, which should forward directly to the DVR if you've correctly configured.  Note it will not work with Firefox, and if you use IE8, you need to add the ip to the trusted zone, install the .cab file when prompted, and click the compatibility tab.

This was indeed the case with v5.x.x.x of the RG firmware.

However, v6.1.x.x of the RG firmware has fixed this, and it now supports loopback.  If your RG has been updated, you should now be able to browse to the security camera using http://<outside IP>.

Message 13 of 21 (1,716 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the quick responses to this old thread.  I talked to AT&T support (basic and Tier 2) last night and while they didn't have a real answer, they did remotely update the RG to the latest firmware so I should be able to do loopback.  I haven't been back to my mother's house yet to verify but will check it tomorrow.  I'll definitely take a copy of this thread with me.

As info, yesterday I was able to connect to the DVR via the local lan.  I had my wife try to connect from our home (Windsteam DSL) and she was not able to get any recognizable response.  I tried setting up the DVR with both the DMZ and the custom app but I'm not sure that I had all of the port settings correct.

Just for clarification, may I ask the following questions regarding the Intellicam DVR setup in the Network config screen?.

Is it set to DHCP?  If so, approximately what IP address did the GW assign?

What port number numbers are shown for TCP, UDP and HTTP?

I assume that you forwarded the TCP and HTTP ports shown on the config screen in the GW.  Correct?

Did you forward port 37778 (UDP) as specified by Intellicam?

What Service type did you specify?  I'm guessing Multicast.

Did you change any other config settings outside of the Network config screen?

What IP address (internal or external) does the DVR display after everything is working properly.

To access the DVR from the internet, do you just use the external IP of the GW or do you tack colon+port number on the end of the IP address?

Thanks again for the help, hopefully I can make it work with this info.  At least I feel better knowing that there is hope.

Message 14 of 21 (1,716 Views)
Teacher

joef711 wrote:

So it turns out this was working with ports 80 and 37777 forwarded (TCP only) in a custom app....just not from the network from which I was trying to access it. I am assuming either there is some conflict with the port(s), or the firewall is blocking one or both. That will teach me to try to troubleshoot from a network in which I have no control or access to settings.  Unfortunately that is the network from which I primarily want to view the DVR. 

Lot of time is put into security cam views via web.

what are you using (Make/Model) for camera/dvd ( I assume they are wired CCTV cams) and  software?

How many feeds?  ( 1 Cam, 4 Cams, etc..)  Is dvd equiped with a LAN  port?

If you have a modem/router combo (2Wire ==  One box), you will have to purchase another router, so you
can setup the router to do port forwarding.  ( these days they are not that expensive and I recommend d-link --- you

can even ad their lowend router with wireless N (150)  all for around 39.00 )

You can get router port forwarding support at http://portforward.com/default.htm

Select Guides

Select  Port Forwarding

Many networking issues arise from router firewalls and software used to disable DVR software from
getting to the DVR.

---------------

No..... I don't work at ATT - I'm Retired & Having  Fun.. well almost.  So do not expect follow up from here

I was just planting seeds for you to check out and ideas that  ATT support Tec's might grasp

PS:  Always check with the security DVR (brand you have)support services  FIRST

and finally, your new  D-Link comes with FREE DDNS support via: http://www.dlinkddns.com

Message 15 of 21 (1,716 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.