mediaroom 2.0

Highlighted

mediaroom 2.0

I heard with Mediaroom you can watch U-verse on your PC, with all these add-ons like the Xbox and PC being able to play U-verse will we see higher cable prices since at&t will lose money on leasing fees? I love the idea of all these add ons but not when it comes to the price spiking.

Message 1 of 2 (738 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: mediaroom 2.0

[ Edited ]

xboxgeneration wrote:

I heard with Mediaroom you can watch U-verse on your PC, with all these add-ons like the Xbox and PC being able to play U-verse will we see higher cable prices since at&t will lose money on leasing fees? I love the idea of all these add ons but not when it comes to the price spiking.

re: the first part: You got half of it right.  The Mediaroom client itself allows the possibility of IPTV over Windows 7 PC's and XBox 360's.  However, at this time, U-Verse has only enabled that functionality on the XBox 360.

re: the second part: Unless you can prove that the February 2011 price increase was totally related to allowing the U-Verse TV service over the XBox 360, I think that there were other reasons for it.  I have not had a price increase for a long time and I bet there were many other reasons for it besides XBox.

That being said, XBox 360 adopters are paying $99 for new subscribers and $154 for existing customers for the privilege.  I bet that AT&T is using those fees to pay for the development of XBox / U-Verse.  Of course the adopters do save $7 a month as AT&T is not collecting a STB fee for the XBox as a STB.  So if you pay that $154 you will break even at some point.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2 (629 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.